The Student Room Group

GCSE Options HELP!!!

We have 4 Sections and we choose a subject from each, ill just say the ones I’m interested in in each block - its so annoying as I don’t want to drop any subjects...

1 - Design and Technology
Textiles
Resistant Materials
Second Language - Spanish

2 - Language
French

3/4 - Others (2 from this section)
History
PE - an additional 2 Practical lessons and 3 theory a fortnight
Art
Second Language- Spanish
Geography

I will also be doing Triple Science and at my school Theology and Ethics is mandatory. Even if I didn’t do Pe I would still have 4 practical lessons a fortnight. I swim and play waterpolo competitively and I am on the school cross country team,I really like being creative and I’m not bad at the artistic subjects but I’m probably not as good as I am at others. I enjoy all the subjects but I am probably better at the academic ones. I enjoy learning languages a lot and also am quite able in humanities. I am quite good at managing a high workload and I have no idea what I want to be in the future, any advice???
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Matt24b
We have 4 Sections and we choose a subject from each, ill just say the ones I’m interested in in each block - its so annoying as I don’t want to drop any subjects...

Textiles
Resistant Materials

2 - Language
French

History
Art
Second Language- Spanish
Geography

I will also be doing Triple Science and at my school Theology and Ethics is mandatory. Even if I didn’t do Pe I would still have 4 practical lessons a fortnight. I swim and play waterpolo competitively and I am on the school cross country team,I really like being creative and I’m not bad at the artistic subjects but I’m probably not as good as I am at others. I enjoy all the subjects but I am probably better at the academic ones. I am quite good at managing a high workload and I have no idea what I want to be in the future, any advice???

Hi, Matt. It's an interesting situation that you're in and it's good to see that you want to be open-minded about future career aspects. I would recommend that in Block 1 you pick anything but Spanish because you did say you're creative and not bad at the artistic subjects. For Block 2, if there are any other languages other than French, you could decide between the others. For Block 3/4, I recommend taking at least one humanities subject, i.e. History or Geography because that wouldn't only broaden out the options but most people typically do at least one humanities subject. Hope this helps, Matt. :smile:

P.S: If you need anything feel free to tag me.
Don't do textiles as it's a looot of work and everyone I know regrets it, dont do a second language because everyone I know is failing their languages this year because of how hard it is! Pe is like another biology subject so if you're good at biology, go for it, but don't get fooled to thinking pe is all about the practical lessons.
Original post by sxhxl
Don't do textiles as it's a looot of work and everyone I know regrets it, dont do a second language because everyone I know is failing their languages this year because of how hard it is! Pe is like another biology subject so if you're good at biology, go for it, but don't get fooled to thinking pe is all about the practical lessons.

Do you do textiles yourself? If so would you mind explaining how it’s a lot of work, also what exam board is your textiles and languages, if you know?
Hiya Matt,
I would say textiles and DT related things are a lot of work, along with competitive sports. If you enjoy textiles, you should pursue it as a hobby. Doing 2 languages is also quite hard, but it can be pulled off with a lot of effort. I'm not too experienced in this, as i just started my GCSEs, but do what pleases you, go for it!
Original post by Matt24b
Do you do textiles yourself? If so would you mind explaining how it’s a lot of work, also what exam board is your textiles and languages, if you know?

Both exam boards are AQA, I don't do textiles myself but a loot of people in my year do it and it's gotten to the point that they're having to do their work in the mornings, during lunch and at home too due to how much work load it is. The amount of work they have to do is crazy considering it's not even a core subject. I do french and know other people who do spanish, and we all regret it. We have to memorise 12 speaking essays off by heart and the listening, writing and reading exams aren't much easier either- imagine from a group of 60 almost 40 people have had to do foundation because they're failing it.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hi, Matt. It's an interesting situation that you're in and it's good to see that you want to be open-minded about future career aspects. I would recommend that in Block 1 you pick anything but Spanish because you did say you're creative and not bad at the artistic subjects. For Block 2, if there are any other languages other than French, you could decide between the others. For Block 3/4, I recommend taking at least one humanities subject, i.e. History or Geography because that wouldn't only broaden out the options but most people typically do at least one humanities subject. Hope this helps, Matt. :smile:

P.S: If you need anything feel free to tag me.

Thanks, the trouble is while I’m naturally better at humanities especially history, I find languages and other subjects like art, Pe and DT more engaging. It such a difficult process because I really don’t want to cut anything down, I’m invested in languages, enjoy the making process in arts and Dt’s and also am very committed to sports and humanities, and it feels like dropping things is just narrowing my options for the rest of my life down. Slightly stressing out, I had a consultation evening the other day but that just consolidated the fact that I didn’t want to stop anything.
Original post by happywinks
Hiya Matt,
I would say textiles and DT related things are a lot of work, along with competitive sports. If you enjoy textiles, you should pursue it as a hobby. Doing 2 languages is also quite hard, but it can be pulled off with a lot of effort. I'm not too experienced in this, as i just started my GCSEs, but do what pleases you, go for it!

are u doing two languages then, if so could you explain your deciding process for this. And when you suggested pursuing textiles as a hobby is that referring to at home or as a gcse.
Reply 8
Original post by Matt24b
Thanks, the trouble is while I’m naturally better at humanities especially history, I find languages and other subjects like art, Pe and DT more engaging. It such a difficult process because I really don’t want to cut anything down, I’m invested in languages, enjoy the making process in arts and Dt’s and also am very committed to sports and humanities, and it feels like dropping things is just narrowing my options for the rest of my life down. Slightly stressing out, I had a consultation evening the other day but that just consolidated the fact that I didn’t want to stop anything.

You can choose DT or something similar for Block 1, a language in Block 2 and in Block 3/4 you could pick Art and another subject, i.e. a humanities subject. I know you've said you like PE but at least you still have practical lessons and you can still do sports outside of school. Hope this helps and try not to stress too much over this. :smile:
Moved to GCSEs
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
You can choose DT or something similar for Block 1, a language in Block 2 and in Block 3/4 you could pick Art and another subject, i.e. a humanities subject. I know you've said you like PE but at least you still have practical lessons and you can still do sports outside of school. Hope this helps and try not to stress too much over this. :smile:

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Matt24b

Textiles
Resistant Materials

2 - Language
French

History
Art
Second Language- Spanish
Geography

I will also be doing Triple Science and at my school Theology and Ethics is mandatory. Even if I didn’t do Pe I would still have 4 practical lessons a fortnight. I swim and play waterpolo competitively and I am on the school cross country team,I really like being creative and I’m not bad at the artistic subjects but I’m probably not as good as I am at others. I enjoy all the subjects but I am probably better at the academic ones. I enjoy learning languages a lot and also am quite able in humanities. I am quite good at managing a high workload and I have no idea what I want to be in the future, any advice???

1) Textiles
2) French
3/4) History and geography
I do double language (aqa) I'm in yr 11 and I don't have to memories 12 speaking essays, maybe it's just a different school's way of teaching it but most of the exam for speaking is 10 minutes before preparation. Even if you enjoy pe, most people I know who do it and triple science say it's basically the same as part of the biology course just you have to film yourself doing sports and have to do coursework. If you don't know what you want to do later in life, it's a good idea to take facilitating subjects (humanities, languages, science) so perhaps do Spanish, French, history and geography. The arty subjects have a LOT of coursework as many yr 11 in my year are finding out and they're having to spend all their free time doing courswork so perhaps if you're interested you could attend an art/textiles club or do it outside of school not as a GCSE where you have to do certain things and have to learn theory but as a hobby when you can do whatever you want when you want.
Thanks, That’s how my language teachers described it, the trouble is although things like art would be just as challenging don’t you think both languages and both humanities would be a bit of a high workload? Especially as all academic subjects?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sciencenerd101
I do double language (aqa) I'm in yr 11 and I don't have to memories 12 speaking essays, maybe it's just a different school's way of teaching it but most of the exam for speaking is 10 minutes before preparation. Even if you enjoy pe, most people I know who do it and triple science say it's basically the same as part of the biology course just you have to film yourself doing sports and have to do coursework. If you don't know what you want to do later in life, it's a good idea to take facilitating subjects (humanities, languages, science) so perhaps do Spanish, French, history and geography. The arty subjects have a LOT of coursework as many yr 11 in my year are finding out and they're having to spend all their free time doing courswork so perhaps if you're interested you could attend an art/textiles club or do it outside of school not as a GCSE where you have to do certain things and have to learn theory but as a hobby when you can do whatever you want when you want.

Sorry I forgot to quote you in my post!
Dw 😂 I'm not sure, it could be quite challenging because they're not 'easy' subjects (it's not actually an option to do all 4 in our school so I couldn't say from experience) but would you have the option to try it out for the first few weeks of yr 10 and then swap to art for example if it was too much? At least art and thing like that would be easier to catch up on in your weekends etc than actual teaching in humanity/language.
Also if you worked well and hard from the beginning I'm sure if you're motivated you could manage it but if you think it would be too nuch maybe taking a more creative subject instead of 4 academics?
Original post by Matt24b
are u doing two languages then, if so could you explain your deciding process for this. And when you suggested pursuing textiles as a hobby is that referring to at home or as a gcse.

i am doing spanish and french at the moment and i want to drop one of them, as for textiles i would say pursuing it at home
Original post by Matt24b

Textiles
Resistant Materials

2 - Language
French

History
Art
Second Language- Spanish
Geography

I would go with (from what you said):

Geography
History
(both of these are veryyyy content heavy to my knowledge)
French maybe?? (Spanish is easier) Just be careful because you may enjoy learning a language now but in the 2nd term of year 11 you may want to dig your eyeballs out, just think whether you'd want to do 2 hours of it for a lesson. maybe pick one of the la-dee-da subjects like textiles or dt to round it off...just to not overwork yourself...
Original post by Matt24b

Textiles
Resistant Materials

2 - Language
French

History
Art
Second Language- Spanish
Geography

Bump form due tomorrow help

Quick Reply

Latest