The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

I have been withdrawn from my university

I have been withdrawn from my university recently. I failed 2 modules twice. on top of this the course that i was doing which is nursing meant that i had to complete placements and with the placements came a placement book that my mentors and i had to fill out. i submitted it first time but my mentor was a part time worker who failed to complete my placement book on time for the first assessment.

Apparently due to this i was given another deadline which i did not know about and since its my first year at uni i had some financial difficulties with my mother who had a problem with the rent and we could have been evicted if we failed to meet the payments which were a lot and this effected my concentration and studies. I don't think failing the modules got me kicked out but me failing to me the apparently "new deadline" made it worse and got me withdrawn. i am going to appeal but i don't know what to expect as i do not want to lose my place because it is free for me and i cant afford to pay it.

i am really scared for the appeal becuase i dont know what to do if i get rejected becuase i have dedicated my life to the course and since this was my first ever year, everything was new to me.

what should i do? How do i get the best from this situatiom
Original post by H _23
I have been withdrawn from my university recently. I failed 2 modules twice. on top of this the course that i was doing which is nursing meant that i had to complete placements and with the placements came a placement book that my mentors and i had to fill out. i submitted it first time but my mentor was a part time worker who failed to complete my placement book on time for the first assessment.

Apparently due to this i was given another deadline which i did not know about and since its my first year at uni i had some financial difficulties with my mother who had a problem with the rent and we could have been evicted if we failed to meet the payments which were a lot and this effected my concentration and studies. I don't think failing the modules got me kicked out but me failing to me the apparently "new deadline" made it worse and got me withdrawn. i am going to appeal but i don't know what to expect as i do not want to lose my place because it is free for me and i cant afford to pay it.

i am really scared for the appeal becuase i dont know what to do if i get rejected becuase i have dedicated my life to the course and since this was my first ever year, everything was new to me.

Nursing is quite strict. Of your two problems then failing modules twice is the much bigger issue and you can be withdrawn for that.

The deadline on your explanation can be proven to not be your fault.

They may let you submit a mitigating circumstances claim. You will need to play the family crisis and get across how serious it was plus how it affected your studies. The failing modules twice is what worries me.

GL though and post back if you get stuck. You can also talk to the student advisers in the SU.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Nursing is quite strict. Of your two problems then failing modules twice is the much bigger issue and you can be withdrawn for that.

The deadline on your explanation can be proven to not be your fault.

They may let you submit a mitigating circumstances claim. You will need to play the family crisis and get across how serious it was plus how it affected your studies. The failing modules twice is what worries me.

GL though and post back if you get stuck. You can also talk to the student advisers in the SU.

is there any chance that my appeal will be successful. I mean I will get a professional lawyer to write me a letter talking about my situation and I have letters of the council demanding a lot of money that if we didnt pay would result in us getting evicted. So far that is 2 pieces of evidence that i can provide. Anything else that could help in my situation?

If my appeal is unsuccesssful can i go to someone else becuse i have been doing this course for a whole year and I have passed all my other modules first time and placements which were so long. I do not want to waste a whole year but worst case scenario can i go see someone else if the appeal fails or do i have to restart the year at another uni and is that even possible. What are the chances of my appeal being successful and has this happened to anyone before?

Will another Uni even take me because i have been withdrawn from another uni. The grade requirements is not a problem as i have passed my A-levels with flying colours.
Reply 3
Original post by H _23

Do open uni, that’s what I did when I withdrew when I had my little boy.
have you seen you GP re the stress and it effect on you studies if not then do so and get them to confirm the stress.
You should appeal as the situation you describe should be considered and I think there some chance of success.
If you can show that did see the new deadline that improves your case.
I assume you have approached student support if not do so.
Original post by H _23
is there any chance that my appeal will be successful. I mean I will get a professional lawyer to write me a letter talking about my situation and I have letters of the council demanding a lot of money that if we didnt pay would result in us getting evicted. So far that is 2 pieces of evidence that i can provide. Anything else that could help in my situation?

If my appeal is unsuccesssful can i go to someone else becuse i have been doing this course for a whole year and I have passed all my other modules first time and placements which were so long. I do not want to waste a whole year but worst case scenario can i go see someone else if the appeal fails or do i have to restart the year at another uni and is that even possible. What are the chances of my appeal being successful and has this happened to anyone before?

Will another Uni even take me because i have been withdrawn from another uni. The grade requirements is not a problem as i have passed my A-levels with flying colours.

Sorry I missed this. I dont know the rules and havent seen the full evidence so I wouldnt know. Whilst a lawyer is good, then they are also expensive. Be warned. You are talking hundreds of £.

It may be a bright postgrad or final year student could help you with writing the appeal (cheaper) or maybe your uni has a legal clinic?

yes there is a chance they would accept your appeal if they accept your situation was relatively unavoidable and affected your studies. As pointed out you should have the addition of medical evidence to show how it affected your studies. After the event evidence is much weaker.

Any contact with welfare services is also helpful.

If they dont accept it and you are withdrawn, then I have seen where nursing students have been accepted on a new course or as suggested someone like OU may accept a transfer of credit (although not sure if that will work with nursing). It doesnt have to be the end of the line.

If you can find a different uni to take you and you have been withdrawn, then do that and notch it down to experience. You would have been in a stronger position if you had gone to the uni from the outset.

Post back with how you got on, if you need further comment.
Did you get anywhere with getting back onto your program? I’m in the same position myself completed everything but the dissertation, failed twice because of I’ll health but had been on course for a 2.1 because of non engagement.... poor communication I was withdrawn ... three years completely wasted, I’m ashamed, embarrassed and depressed about a wasted chance. Can you transfer to year three?
Original post by robc2
Do open uni, that’s what I did when I withdrew when I had my little boy.

Hi years ago but how did you apply for open university after withrawing from your current uni do u have to pay
Original post by Failingstudent10
Hi years ago but how did you apply for open university after withrawing from your current uni do u have to pay

This thread is over 3 years old and the quoted user hasn't been active for almost the same amount of time. Please don't bump old threads!

That said, you don't need to pay to apply to the OU, as you don't actually apply as such, rather you just register for the modules you wish to take, provided you meet the prerequisites (usually there are none for level 1 modules). You do need to pay the tuition fees, although you can get SFE loans for these and part-time tuition fee loans are calculated separately from full time tuition fee loans so you should be eligible for these even if you have prior full-time study. Note that for fee purposes SFE classifies all study at the OU as part-time study, regardless of intensity (so you can take 120 credits a year, equivalent to full time study in a brick uni, but you will still be classified as a part-time student for applying for SFE loans).

However in future please make a new thread rather than bumping an old one :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending