The Student Room Group

Transition metals

whts transition metals act as catalysts??
Reply 1
A notable example is Iron in the Haber process, for producing ammonia.
Reply 2
yeo the example is correct but please help me understanding how they act as a homogeneous catalys?

Original post by ns_2
A notable example is Iron in the Haber process, for producing ammonia.
Original post by zainali420
whts transition metals act as catalysts??

homogeneous catalysts are catalysts that are in the same state as the reactants
eg
Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ in the following reaction
Fe^3+ + I2 = Fe^2+ + 2I^-
Fe^2+ + S2O8^2- = Fe^3+ + 2SO4^2-
Reply 4
Original post by m.salmanrandhawa
homogeneous catalysts are catalysts that are in the same state as the reactants
eg
Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ in the following reaction
Fe^3+ + I2 = Fe^2+ + 2I^-
Fe^2+ + S2O8^2- = Fe^3+ + 2SO4^2-

so simply it means that the transition metal acting as a catalyst change its oxidation state so that reactants are converted into products then the transition metals again change oxidation state and are brought back to thier initial oxidation state..
so simply it means that the transition metal acting as a catalyst change its oxidation state so that reactants are converted into products then the transition metals again change oxidation state and are brought back to thier initial oxidation state..

yep!
thats actually the very definition of a catalyst
its a molecule that speeds up the rate of a reaction by providing an alternate route with lower activation energy and remains unchanged itself by the end of the reaction,
Reply 6
the heterogeneous catalyst work the same way or have a different mechanism ?

yep!
thats actually the very definition of a catalyst
its a molecule that speeds up the rate of a reaction by providing an alternate route with lower activation energy and remains unchanged itself by the end of the reaction,
Its the same
But the diff is that in heterogeneous catalyst the enzyme is in a diff state than the reactants eg in Haber process the catalyst, iron, is solid but the reactants, hydrogen and nitrogen, are gaseous
Reply 8
i think that in heterogeneous they reactants are adsorbed on the surface of solid then thier bonds are weakened hence the activation energy decreases

Its the same
But the diff is that in heterogeneous catalyst the enzyme is in a diff state than the reactants eg in Haber process the catalyst, iron, is solid but the reactants, hydrogen and nitrogen, are gaseous
i think that in heterogeneous they reactants are adsorbed on the surface of solid then thier bonds are weakened hence the activation energy decreases

yes!
id recommend you to use Znotes
pg 14
https://znotes.org/docs/cie-a2-chemistry-9701-znotes.pdf
vanadium(V) oxide in Contact Process.

Quick Reply

Latest