The Student Room Group

Can you take GCSEs after you've finished education?

My cousin (He's 23) Came out of school with only 5 GCSEs (English Lit&lang, Double Science and Maths) and went straight to an apprenticeship rather than college. He really wants to go back and take more 5 more GCSEs (Re, ICT, History, Geography and Sociology)
Will exam boards let him take the courses online then sit as an external candidate, even though he's older than 16?
Reply 1
There are no age restrictions for GCSEs - 5 year olds have taken them as have people over 80. I don't think GCSE ICT exists any more, but the others should be possible.
(edited 6 years ago)
As Compost said no age limit. Not too sure why he feels they are needed, unless it's general interest.?
he may find it difficult to do at college and if he wants to do it online, then he will have to pay:
1. Online fee.= for course materials
2. Exam fee.= for marking
3. Centre fee.= for using their facilities to take the exam.
He wants to go to uni but he needs A-levels and to get onto his A-levels he needs those specific GCSEs. I've told him about the fees and he said it wouldn't be a problem lol

Original post by 999tigger
As Compost said no age limit. Not too sure why he feels they are needed, unless it's general interest.?
he may find it difficult to do at college and if he wants to do it online, then he will have to pay:
1. Online fee.= for course materials
2. Exam fee.= for marking
3. Centre fee.= for using their facilities to take the exam.
Original post by StarWinchester
He wants to go to uni but he needs A-levels and to get onto his A-levels he needs those specific GCSEs. I've told him about the fees and he said it wouldn't be a problem lol

He could do an Access course, which gets round for the need for GCSEs.
Je just needs English and Maths.

If he wants A levels then hes only going to need those GCSEs if he intends to take them at A level, even then it isnt a definite. You could do most of those with GCSE and note what Compost said and I think is true that ICT no longer exists and its CS now. If it exists hen only a few boards have it, generally its been phased out. i would have to check.
Reply 5

I've never heard of a course (even A level Sociology) that required Sociology GCSE as a lot of schools don't offer it. From what you've said an Access course might be a quicker and simpler way to go.
Maybe he's getting confused lol. I think he's just annoyed at himself for not putting in the effort when he was at school and wants to prove to himself he can do it. But I'll tell him to look into an Access course, thanks :-)
Original post by Compost
I've never heard of a course (even A level Sociology) that required Sociology GCSE as a lot of schools don't offer it. From what you've said an Access course might be a quicker and simpler way to go.

You do realise he has got more than enough to just do an access course. I am doing that now and I only got 4 c’s at school 12 years ago. I am also re sitting my maths as I got D. I have had all offers for university. Would be a huge waste of time doing GCSEs and 2 years of a level if you can even do that ? Just an access course of a year then he will be at uni. And the course fee is written off if you go to university.
I'll tell him all that. He just asked me about GCSEs so I didn't know about access courses and stuff. Thank you
Original post by Ridinghigh95
You do realise he has got more than enough to just do an access course. I am doing that now and I only got 4 c’s at school 12 years ago. I am also re sitting my maths as I got D. I have had all offers for university. Would be a huge waste of time doing GCSEs and 2 years of a level if you can even do that ? Just an access course of a year then he will be at uni. And the course fee is written off if you go to university.
I'll tell him all that. He just asked me about GCSEs so I didn't know about access courses and stuff. Thank you

No problem. I didn’t either I have been working for years just ask if you need to know anything else!

Quick Reply

Latest