The Student Room Group

My Chance to Prove My Teachers Wrong

Scroll to see replies

No ketchup crisps are weird and wrong! 😂
Original post by Sciencenerd101
No ketchup crisps are weird and wrong! 😂

false. They are incredible though now I come to think of it...mustard crisps are much better:biggrin:
Original post by Toastiekid
false. They are incredible though now I come to think of it...mustard crisps are much better:biggrin:

Ah yes, they're good 😃
Omygosh I'm so sorry I haven't updated in ages! Life just got the best of me and I've ended up neglecting my blog before I'd really even started it. From now on I promise I'll try to update every few days- everyday was clearly unrealistic.
Well anyway during my time off I've had parents' evening! Eek! But actually I was quite pleased overall- my French teacher complimented my French writing ability instead of calling my handwriting appalling (I had been trying to work on it because it was (is) not very good 😝), my English teacher hoped I'd be taking a-level English lit- um no way jose -and my geography teacher thinks I'm doing ok. But the thing I was most pleased about was maths. It's not that I'm bad at maths, but last year I was so scared to go and see my maths teacher, I was worried what she was going to say- I knew I wasn't the best at maths in the class and I'd not been doing well in recent class tests because we were doing algebra (my weakest area) and just generally I wasn't feeling great about maths. She didn't say it in so many words and I'm actual fact she was really nice, but (and she sort of verified it this time) she was worried about me. My target is a 7 and I was only getting 5/6s on tests, but since then I've been working so so hard at maths, recently I've been doing mathswatch (love that thing) everyday! We got set quite a lot of stuff to do on there during October half term and I was 1 of only 2 people in the year to do all of the questions! Since this year my grades have been improving, in fact in our most recent tests (2017's OCR papers with the guy in the lift) I got:
7 in paper 4 (aka paper 1- calc)- 1 mark off an 8
8 in paper 5 (aka paper 2- non calc)
9 in paper 6 (aka paper 3- calc)
It was the 3rd paper I was sooooo proud of, I think I got top in the class- me! Top! In the class! And I know placing in the class means absolutely nothing in the real exam but it's just really given me a boost that I think I desperately needed. And at parents evening my maths teacher said that if I do well in our upcoming papers, she thinks an 8 for the real thing isn't unrealistic!! Wowowwwoowwow! 🎉🎉🎉
Wow that felt good to let out, blogging is really growing on me, it's just a great way of letting out everything but not being judged face to face by other people, it's sort of freeing really.
In other news we got sent home early on Tuesday because of the snow and we have been off ever since then! That's 3 1/2 snow days! I don't think I've ever seen so much snow before, but now it's all melting and I'm sure we'll be back tomorrow- well I hope so anyway because we have rehearsals for the annual show which is this week and I couldn't go to dance yesterday because of the snow. I'm so nervous about the show but also so excited, you know when you're sort of buzzing but at the same time your chest feels tight and if you're not careful, over thinking it will send you into a state of pure angst? Anyone? Well I hope it's not just me 😂
Oh and I did my English language spoken endorsement- I'd never been more nervous, my mouth was dry, my words were almost getting stuck and my hands were shaking so badly and because I'm a doofus I did it noteless (although I did have 1 emergency flash card just in eyeline with key phrases jic). When I was finished, it felt so good and I found out just after that I got a distinction! Yayayyayay!
Anyway I should stop writing, nobody wants to read all of this, I just realised it's so long 😂 sorry!
Until next time...
Oh p.s. I'm starting to stress about exams so from this week forward I'm having structured revsion- before I just revised what I wanted which unfortunately for my geography and English lit, hasn't been entirely inclusive... oops! (#sorrynotsorry). I'll upload a pic when I'm done with making a sort of timetable- not too strict though :smile:
P.p.s does anybody watch Endeavour on itv? It's on tonight and I'm so excited! I love the new series!
(edited 6 years ago)
Wow what a busy week I've had! lots of rehearsals and 3 shows! Now I'm back to English, science and maths revision for second round of mocks over the next 2 weeks. I'm really pleased with how much maths I've managed to do recently though but I'm feeling quite stressed at moment about GCSEs especially science and geography- science I feel like I don't know enough content and geography I don't know how to answer 8mark questions properly! Ahh! I'm going to really focus on sciences over the next few weeks- learn the rps, equations and practice, practice, practice! Anyone else feeling stressed though?
Good luck for mocks:h:
We’ve still got quite a while, don’t stress too much; you can do it!
With science I’d look online at the course in a week gcse books...if someone can learn all the content in a week then you can in however many weeks we’ve got left:tongue:
Original post by Toastiekid
Good luck for mocks:h:
We’ve still got quite a while, don’t stress too much; you can do it!
With science I’d look online at the course in a week gcse books...if someone can learn all the content in a week then you can in however many weeks we’ve got left:tongue:

Thanks for the advice I'll have a look at that :smile:
Ahh we had a nc maths mock today (edexcel I think). It was soooo hard! 😣 I think it may have been November's resit paper (it has a question about a guy testing pies) and I've never felt like I've done so badly in a paper before! Luckily everyone else found it hard so maybe the grade boundaries wll be low? (hanging on to a bit of hope here) What's really annoying is I think I figured out the answer of one of the hard questions afterwards ugggghhh! Well since I don't have another until Thursday I'm taking a little break tonight (not too little (ok so maybe quite big 😶)) so I can get lots of sleep. Might not update until the weekend since I have lots of mocks but until then :smile:
Well today hasn't been so bad, except now I need to revise for English lit paper 2 mock tomoz (I'm doing l&r and an inspector calls) and my French teacher decided that she would spring a French test on us tomorrow (which I have absolutely zero time to revise for!).
Right now, Mr Bruff is hopefully going to help me pass this English lit paper. Our English language paper was ok, I think it was last year's paper (about Alice in the Pyrenees) but I think my story might be a little weird and my teacher is going to have to mark it 😂 oh well hopefully I'll get a good mark
Also qotd: Anyone else ever wish they'd started revision in yr 10, I feel like that would have really helped me because I have so much to do over these next few months.
What it's snowing again?! Don't think we'll get a snow day on Monday though so today I'm focusing on chemistry and biology (whilst eating oreos)- three of my favourite things!image-447c179e-88fb-4617-915a-513c23ed8978221501845-compressed.jpg.jpeg
What it's snowing again?! Don't think we'll get a snow day on Monday though so today I'm focusing on chemistry and biology (whilst eating oreos)- three of my favourite things!image-447c179e-88fb-4617-915a-513c23ed8978221501845-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Yum, Oreos!!!
Hello stranger and welcome to my GYG blog! It might seem strange when I tell you that I'm not happy about my grades at the moment because they're 'good' but really I'm annoyed at myself for not working hard enough last year :frown:
But before we begin, let me introduce myself...
I'm in year 11 and this summer I'm taking Maths (Edexcel) Further Maths (AQA) Geography B (Edexcel) Short Course RS (WJEC) French (AQA) German (AQA) (double languages, yeah I know I'm an idiot), English language and literature (AQA) Biology (AQA) Chemistry (AQA) and Physics (AQA) (so I'm doing triple/separate sciences).
For A-Levels I want to take biology, chemistry and maths (I know, sciencey, by somehow I've fallen head over heels for science in the past year or so and now I want to do medical research when I'm older- I could never be a doctor though, I can't stand other people 😂)
I also love chocolate, dance, spicy food and cacti.

On Friday I got my mock results back and my predicted grades. I didn't revise well AT ALL never the less, I was very happy about languages because I've never got so high before and I was quite pleased with English lit because I hadn't revised Macbeth and P&P (my paper 1 texts) enough, but I wasn't so pleased with some of the others...
Subject: Mock Grade, Predicted Grade, Target
English Language: 8, 7, 7
English Literature: 7, 7, 7
Maths: 7, 7, 7
Further Maths: N.A.
Biology: 7, 7, 8
Chemistry: 6, 7, 8
Physics: 6, 7, 8
French: 7, 7, 7
German: 7, 7, 7
Geography: 6, 7, 8
RS Short Course: 6, 6, 8
As you can see, I met my EOY target in half of ny subject, but the other half well... And I know that target grades don't actually mean anything, but I know I can get my targets and I'm so annoyed that I didn't, but even more so, I'm annoyed that only 3 of my teachers think I can improve my grade and even more, only half of them think I'll get my targets! And my English Language teacher thinks I'll do worse in the real exam than I did in the mock! (About the mock, we did last year's papers and I got a 9 in both using last year's grade boundaries, but they (guess)timated this year's boundaries and now I have an 8, even though I got a 9 :frown:) Finally, I don't know how good my GYG blog will be, but I really do enjoy writing, but only really in secret. My little sister is the writing protégé, who actually runs a real (anonymous) blog. I think this is probably, secretly, why I'm so annoyed about the English language thing (I'm also way too competitive 😂), in English Lit you analyse texts, but in English language you also do creative writing and I wanted to have got a 9, so my mission for English language is a 9 in August. Yes this is crazily high, but if I've done it once, I can do it again if I put in the work. So without further ado, welcome to my GYG blog!

Do you have any advice for geography? I do the same spec as you so I was curious if you know any tips or resources that could help me. I didn't actually have a teacher for the whole of last year and my class won't let our new teacher actually like teach us(More than half the lesson is just him trying to actually get our class to behave). I really need to get at least an 8 in the actual GCSE. Could you offer any advice?
Ahhhh hello! I’m so following this thread! I’ve got similar targets and subjects to you actually-
Predicted | Target
ENGLISH (both): 8,8
MATHS: 7,7
CHEM: 7,7
PHYS: 7,7
BIO: 8,7
RS: 9,9
FRENCH: 8,8
HISTORY: 8,8
GEO: 9,8
MUSIC(extra, after school): 7,7

How’s it going so far? Also what have you revised for, and how much do you revise daily?
Original post by Ihatelife2
Do you have any advice for geography? I do the same spec as you so I was curious if you know any tips or resources that could help me. I didn't actually have a teacher for the whole of last year and my class won't let our new teacher actually like teach us(More than half the lesson is just him trying to actually get our class to behave). I really need to get at least an 8 in the actual GCSE. Could you offer any advice?

Oh that's so annoying! I hate those kind if classes! It's so annoying for everyone else and feel sorry for the teacher! I will say I find geography quite hard anyway but my advice would be firstly know the content and the case studies, sam learning (dk if your school uses it) can be good for that sort of thing. I mostly use my class notes to revise but since I'm guessing you don't haven't many :frown: I'm not sure but I think get revising has notes on lots of subjects, perhaps that might help? (if all else fails the specification probably has useful stuff- I use them a lot for sciences! 😂) Also make sure you know how to answer 8/12 mark questions e.g. having a mini intro and conclusion, or if it's an evaluate style/ assess this statement question make sure you argue for and against but come to a conclusion.
Hope that helps a bit :smile: ans best of luck for the summer!
Original post by notvincey
Ahhhh hello! I’m so following this thread! I’ve got similar targets and subjects to you actually-
Predicted | Target
ENGLISH (both): 8,8
MATHS: 7,7
CHEM: 7,7
PHYS: 7,7
BIO: 8,7
RS: 9,9
FRENCH: 8,8
HISTORY: 8,8
GEO: 9,8
MUSIC(extra, after school): 7,7

How’s it going so far? Also what have you revised for, and how much do you revise daily?

Thank you for the follow- it's honestly the best feeling so to know people actually read my blog completely out of choice :smile:) I think it's going ok, feeling quite stressed and overwhelmed somethimes though
Atm I've only been doing English, science and maths as we have mocks in those but as soon as they're over (and before they started) I'll do 3/4 hours a night (more at weekends) but some days I just can't bring myself to and do very little or even none :/ Mostly I do maths and a little bit of language vocab each day but the rest I swap the days around so I don't die when I have to do something I hate 😂
Haven't done much geography or rs but apart from that I've done quite a bit (not loads though, started revising a little late tbh)
Hope that answers your questions :smile:
Also how is your revison going?
Good luck for the summer!
Thank you for the follow- it's honestly the best feeling so to know people actually read my blog completely out of choice :smile:) I think it's going ok, feeling quite stressed and overwhelmed somethimes though
Atm I've only been doing English, science and maths as we have mocks in those but as soon as they're over (and before they started) I'll do 3/4 hours a night (more at weekends) but some days I just can't bring myself to and do very little or even none :/ Mostly I do maths and a little bit of language vocab each day but the rest I swap the days around so I don't die when I have to do something I hate 😂
Haven't done much geography or rs but apart from that I've done quite a bit (not loads though, started revising a little late tbh)
Hope that answers your questions :smile:
Also how is your revison going?
Good luck for the summer!

Yeahhh I get that feeling with Maths and French, I really need to start revising those more, but it’s not something I’m thinking about at the moment because I’m smack bang in the middle of some mocks right now! My revision I’ve definitely started but it’s been patchy because of taking a break from January mocks to be thrown into March mocks, but after these, I’m starting them up for definite. I’ve done everything in Geo and some sub-Units (1A, 1B, 2C) I’ve done twice but I kinnnnda need to not do any more geo for a while. I also need to go over loads of my triple because Chem is one of my weakest subjects, plus I missed a fair amount of the triple content from having glandular fever. It’ll be good to see how we all do, I hope you the best!
Oh that's so annoying! I hate those kind if classes! It's so annoying for everyone else and feel sorry for the teacher! I will say I find geography quite hard anyway but my advice would be firstly know the content and the case studies, sam learning (dk if your school uses it) can be good for that sort of thing. I mostly use my class notes to revise but since I'm guessing you don't haven't many :frown: I'm not sure but I think get revising has notes on lots of subjects, perhaps that might help? (if all else fails the specification probably has useful stuff- I use them a lot for sciences! 😂) Also make sure you know how to answer 8/12 mark questions e.g. having a mini intro and conclusion, or if it's an evaluate style/ assess this statement question make sure you argue for and against but come to a conclusion.
Hope that helps a bit :smile: ans best of luck for the summer!

thanks for all the ideas and help. I will look at get revising and etc. thanks for the advice

Whats the point of getting the thin one over the normal one. Thats like a man who picks a flat girl over a thick one
Attachment not found

Been doing chemical analysis and English language all day today (got up a bit late though whoops) and I forgot to mention, I got my bronze DofE certificate last week! Yay! I actually enjoyed DofE so much, I only knew 2 people in my group of 7 but I still loved the planning, the training expedition and next year (summer 2019) I'm doing a world challenge to Nicaragua! I'm so excited but a bit nervous about raising the funds, but I know it's possible and I will do it.
QOTD: have you done any of the DofE levels/ world challenge- how did you find it, how did you raise the funds (wc only obvs)? And for DofE would you do the next level? (unless you did gold)

Also p.s. I've now created a little hide/show thing for what I've achieved already in my original post because why not 😂 feel free to read it if you've already been reading my blog, or not, your choice :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
Whats the point of getting the thin one over the normal one. Thats like a man who picks a flat girl over a thick one

Point taken (although analogy less useful but thank you anyway).Unfortunately I didn't buy them (they were bought for me) so I had no control over which ones they were, although I do prefer the all chocolate ones and the normal ones and double stuffed. But at the same time too much filling can be a bit too sweet sometimes. Plus with thin ones, one portion is more biscuits (I still ate the whole 16 in the box in 2 days though so tbh that didn't really matter :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending