The Student Room Group

Sociology of love

I have an assignment and I have to do the following:
must ensure that your essay includes the following in relation to the essay question:
An evaluation of contrasting sociological perspectives and critically assess particular perspectives
An analysis of a specific social institution using relevant sociological concepts and perspectives
the social institution is love and relationships

any help would be great
I'm not sure what level this is or how much you already know. If this was me then I'd try to break it down into the different sociological perspectives - I'd sta with feminism to talk about their view on the role of love as they probably think the whole institution of love benefits men.

For Marxism, you could talk about how women are the "takers of ****" (Ansley - Marxist Feminist) in which they absorb their husband's frustration from work. This allows them to be productive workers in capitalist society..

If this is university level (which it seems likely) then of course you know more than me, so I apologise if this isn't useful!
Original post by Criminalis
I'm not sure what level this is or how much you already know. If this was me then I'd try to break it down into the different sociological perspectives - I'd sta with feminism to talk about their view on the role of love as they probably think the whole institution of love benefits men.

For Marxism, you could talk about how women are the "takers of ****" (Ansley - Marxist Feminist) in which they absorb their husband's frustration from work. This allows them to be productive workers in capitalist society..

If this is university level (which it seems likely) then, of course, you know more than me, so I apologise if this isn't useful!

It is A-level ish its part of an access course and for my sociological perspectives, I have Marxism, feminism, interactionist and functionalist. I am just struggling to piece things together.

I don't really understand what they mean by love and relationships as an institution as well.
Original post by bethclarke14
It is A-level ish its part of an access course and for my sociological perspectives, I have Marxism, feminism, interactionist and functionalist. I am just struggling to piece things together.

I don't really understand what they mean by love and relationships as an institution as well.

I'm not much help, but in sociology an institution refers to a social form e.g. family, religion, education system etc.

Try not to focus too much on that if it confuses you.

Is there a specific question you have to answer, or is it just the details you put in the OP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending