The Student Room Group

can I do my masters in my minor degree?

I am currently doing criminology with psychology. My major is criminology and my minor is psychology. I have good grades in both of them. I am in my second year and during my years I figured I would like to continue my psychology studies further meaning I would like to take masters in psychology.
My question is could I take a masters degree in my minor subject?
Should I drop my criminology in my final year to gain more credits toward psychology to be accepted for a masters degree in psychology?
What should I do?
I will consult somebody in my university regarding this but for the time being does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by barbiefish11
I am currently doing criminology with psychology. My major is criminology and my minor is psychology. I have good grades in both of them. I am in my second year and during my years I figured I would like to continue my psychology studies further meaning I would like to take masters in psychology.
Should I drop my criminology in my final year to gain more credits toward psychology to be accepted for a masters degree in psychology?
What should I do?
I will consult somebody in my university regarding this but for the time being does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks in advance.

Look at the entrance requirements. The answer is it depends. The more direct study you have done then the more chance, so maybe look into changing it into a joint degree or increasing the P modules.
Original post by barbiefish11
What should I do?
Thanks in advance.

The main thing to note is that if you want to become a professional psychologist, the masters programs for those courses require that you have a BPS accredited degree, and they won't care if its a minor (though a minor is unlikely to be accredited).
If you just want to do a masters in research psychology (or some specific area of psychology which is taught) then you'll need to check the entry requirements. You'll usually be able to get in- lots of masters courses in research like to have people with neuroscience or linguistics degrees, for example. Most postgrad programs will really accept anyone who applies as they just want the tuition money.
It's worth thinking about what you want to do after graduating as doing a masters in psychology isn't going to really help your CV unless you plan to keep doing psychology in the future...

Quick Reply

Latest