Can I get an A at French A level if I'm not a fluent/native speaker

Watch
Raye Bennet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm a year 11 student currently taking French for GCSE. For alevel I want to take English lit, RS, French and Maths. However, can I get an A at alevel if I'm not a fluent speaker if I am predicted a 7/8 at GCSE (A/low A*). Any help appreciated
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Raye Bennet)
I'm a year 11 student currently taking French for GCSE. For alevel I want to take English lit, RS, French and Maths. However, can I get an A at alevel if I'm not a fluent speaker if I am predicted a 7/8 at GCSE (A/low A*). Any help appreciated
It's not impossible to get an A or A* in A-Level French but obviously any A-Level subject is tougher than at GCSE level. If you just work hard and apply the same studying/revision skills you'll be fine. If you do need any help with French there's many other TSRians around such as @Sonechka. Hope that helps.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not impossible to get an A or A* in A-Level French but obviously any A-Level subject is tougher than at GCSE level. If you just work hard and apply the same studying/revision skills you'll be fine. If you do need any help with French there's many other TSRians around such as Sonechka . Hope that helps.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe A-level at around A grade is considered B1~B2 (CEFR) standard in the langauge, compared with near-native proficiency to fluency being around C2 level. Thus, A-level necessarily below that and the A-level exam boards won't expect in any way for you to be at near-native or native proficiency levels. Moreover, universities sometimes/often (this seems to vary a lot) don't accept A-levels in a language you have native proficiency/fluency in, because it's so far below the level of your ability so as to not be a useful indicator of academic achievement (which is what the point of A-levels are from an admissions perspective to a large extent). Essentially, all signs point to this not being the case.
Raye Bennet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much for the help!!
Genxxxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much for the help!!
I take A level French AQA to be specific, I'm a non native speaker btw, and honestly, its the least stressful of my subjects at the moment, from day 1 you HAVE to put in the effort. Grammar is a must!, you really cant blag your way through french because its a language you have to learn.
As for Rs though, i promise there'll be literal tears, we use the OCR spec and its sooo content heavy, plus, its pretty hard to get an A in my opinion, take it from someone who got an A in GCSE. The amount of scholars, quotes and information that you have to revise for will hit you in the second year, youll be feeling the pressure for sure.
Genxxxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ps. girllll, those four subject mixed together are a killa
sundae
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Definitely! Honestly they don't expect you to be fluent by the end and there is quite a bit of leeway for mistakes.

(Original post by Genxxxx)
I take A level French AQA to be specific, I'm a non native speaker btw, and honestly, its the least stressful of my subjects at the moment, from day 1 you HAVE to put in the effort. Grammar is a must!, you really cant blag your way through french because its a language you have to learn.
As for Rs though, i promise there'll be literal tears, we use the OCR spec and its sooo content heavy, plus, its pretty hard to get an A in my opinion, take it from someone who got an A in GCSE. The amount of scholars, quotes and information that you have to revise for will hit you in the second year, youll be feeling the pressure for sure.
^ This is very true. You can't cram for French the way you can for other subjects.

I'd go for it though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.64%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.97%

Watched Threads