The Student Room Group

Russia's Vladimir Putin wins by big margin

Vladimir Putin will lead Russia for another six years, after securing an expected victory in the presidential election.

A Russian state exit poll gave him 73.9% of the vote, easily defeating his closest competitor. The main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, was barred from the race.

The scale of victory - which had been widely predicted - was a marked increase in his share of the vote from 2012, when he won 64% of votes. A state exit poll put the turnout at 63.7%, down on 2012.

Mr Putin's campaign had hoped for a large turnout, to give him the strongest possible mandate.

Video recordings from polling stations showed irregularities in a number of towns and cities across Russia. Several videos showed election officials stuffing boxes with ballot papers.

Early results showed that with just 21.3% of boxes counted, Mr Putin had almost 72% of the votes.

Exit polls, published as soon as voting ended, showed that Mr Putin's closest opponent, Pavel Grudinin, was only projected to win 11.2%.

Mr Navalny was excluded from the election because of an embezzlement conviction that he said was manufactured by the Kremlin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43452449

So you know, that formality is over with..colour us all shocked :tongue:
Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.
Another 6 years :nothing:
all your votes.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by mattchaamp
Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.

I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
Another 6 years :nothing:

:russia: :party2: :party: :woo::russia:
Original post by Napp
I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.

Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.

If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.

Maybe maybe not i'd still be incredibly surprised if navalny could have beaten Putin anyway.

If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.

Forgive me but you just described America more than Russia's democracy there...

Quick Reply

Latest