The Student Room Group

Help with English lit poem!!

Can anybody help me with the poem London, by William Blake? I wasn’t in school the day that my class covered this poem, so my overall knowledge is pretty weak. Just an explanation and link to other poems in the power and conflict cluster will help. Thanks!!
Original post by alishaalo
Can anybody help me with the poem London, by William Blake? I wasn’t in school the day that my class covered this poem, so my overall knowledge is pretty weak. Just an explanation and link to other poems in the power and conflict cluster will help. Thanks!!

Hi,

London is a poem in William Blake's songs of innocence and Experience. It is shown in the Experience section of the anthology - which are overall more melancholic and reflecting negatively on society.

So the overall theme of the poem is the entrapment of both society and nature - given how the Thames is 'chart'd' as if marked and cemented in place, and society through the different effects of people mentioned ('the harlot', 'hapless soldiers')

this will link into the immediate context of the poem, as the aftermath of the French Revolution was recent (it began in 1789, and the poem was published in 1794 - the beginning of the Terror.) There was a real threat of revolution in England at that point - shown in the poem by the blood that "runs... down Palace walls'.

I hope this at least gives you a place to start :smile:

There's also a variety of videos on youTube that explains the poem and it's context, as well as other sources on the TSR website :smile:
Try Seneca Learning - it`s a free website that covers all Power and Conflict poems, including London!
Here is the link: https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/fdcef0a0-22db-11e8-9b74-f9cf15791499/section/1cb4d840-22e1-11e8-9b74-f9cf15791499

hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending