The Student Room Group

How to get a smaller waist?

Hi, I really hope somebody can help me.

I fit into size 6/8 clothes but sometimes fit into size 4 clothes as well. However, I think my waist is quite big :frown:

My 3 measurements are:
Bust - 80cm (31.5 in)
Waist - 68cm (27 in)
Hips - 86cm (34 in)

I don't really exercise, but I do a lot of walking. I'd like to lose a little bit more weight as well.

Is there anything I can do to get a smaller waist please?
You sound very slim, I think your body shape is more rectangular/athletic than hourglass.

You can try doing things like russian twists, side crunches and side planks to tighten the muscles around your waist
Reply 2
Original post by PollyParrot23
You sound very slim, I think your body shape is more rectangular/athletic than hourglass.

You can try doing things like russian twists, side crunches and side planks to tighten the muscles around your waist

Yeah, I know I'm not fat or anything but I would like to have a smaller waist.

I will try those, thank you :smile:
There really isn’t anything you can do - it depends on your bone structure, if you have excess fat around your waist you could try losing weight which may help but sounds like you’re tiny anyway - why do you want a smaller waist, it would be so hard to find clothes to fit!
Original post by PollyParrot23

Spot reduction is a myth, and has been for decades.

Fat deposit is mostly sex specific, then ethnic identity, and least of all genetics broadly (or more specific, inheritance).

Want a smaller waist, lose body-fat. Probably wont be the first fat to go, but given time and commitment, waist will reduce.
You can't. You could lose weight which will eventually make your waist smaller but it sounds like you're already very slim and probably shouldn't get thinner, plus your butt and boobs will shrink too so your actual proportions won't change a lot. If you're thin then doing lots of abs work may actually just bulk you up around the middle as your muscles grow, making you bigger.

The only possibility if you have a bit of a pooch is to try and cut down on bloating, so cut salty/sugary/fatty foods and drink plenty of water (less coffee, alcohol etc). But this won't change your body make up, it might just make your belly look a tiny bit flatter in clothes.
Reply 6
If you're very slim and want a smaller waist to look more curvy then gaining weight might actually make more sense so your hips and chest are bigger- though spot gain is as much not a thing as spot loss so you can't decide to make it go there. If you'll still be a healthy weight, there's nothing wrong with gaining a bit. Though doing it by eating more healthy foods is obviously better than adding junk so you are adding more nutrition to your diet rather than more bad stuff
(edited 6 years ago)
This is more of a short term thing but waist cinchers/corsets can help waist look smaller

I don't recommend wearing them for a long time tho
simple bending and twisting exercise like this can help:

[video="youtube;ybSMEPBhCxw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSMEPBhCxw[/video]
Nothing, embrace how you are. You have no weight to lose or anything else
Original post by 303Pharma
Spot reduction is a myth, and has been for decades.

Only decades? Wait are you saying 100 years ago spot reduction wasn't a myth?

Quick Reply

Latest