The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LMH OXFORD
Thanks so much for this and I'm really sorry that you are having to chase up. Please PM me your name and I will head to the Admissions Office to find out what has happened here.

Sent you a PM. Thanks for your help.
Any luck in finding out when we're going to receive feedback? Are we going to receive any feedback? Ever?
Original post by stellamaris333
Any luck in finding out when we're going to receive feedback? Are we going to receive any feedback? Ever?

Hello, I am so sorry - I came down with a virus last week, and was out of work as a result. However, I have just messaged this as a matter of urgency to our Senior Tutor and will get back to you as soon as is possible. I am really sorry about this.
Hello, I am so sorry - I came down with a virus last week, and was out of work as a result. However, I have just messaged this as a matter of urgency to our Senior Tutor and will get back to you as soon as is possible. I am really sorry about this.

Hi @stellamaris333, our Senior Tutor has sent your feedback this morning. I'm afraid a staff shortage problem has caused the delay, please accept our apologies.
Hi @stellamaris333, our Senior Tutor has sent your feedback this morning. I'm afraid a staff shortage problem has caused the delay, please accept our apologies.

Got it! Many thanks for your help. I got my PAT score back but I didn't get my scores for my interviews. Do you know if this information can or will be given out? It would be really helpful if I got my individual interview scores to help me prepare for reapplication for next year. Hope you have recovered from your virus and feel better soon.
Original post by stellamaris333
Got it! Many thanks for your help. I got my PAT score back but I didn't get my scores for my interviews. Do you know if this information can or will be given out? It would be really helpful if I got my individual interview scores to help me prepare for reapplication for next year. Hope you have recovered from your virus and feel better soon.

Hi @stellamaris333, glad that came through! I would respond to Fiona's email, as she is best placed to advise you on this. Good luck to you in whatever it is that you do choose to do - and please do get in touch if you have any other questions :smile:

All best,
Marrium
Hi @stellamaris333, glad that came through! I would respond to Fiona's email, as she is best placed to advise you on this. Good luck to you in whatever it is that you do choose to do - and please do get in touch if you have any other questions :smile:

All best,
Marrium

Many thanks. I'll do that. :gthumb:
Hello, I want to apply for computer science to Oxbridge, will I be heavily disadvantaged if I do:
Computer Science, Maths, Economics

vs

if I had done Computer science, maths, further maths ?
Original post by 12390859081
Hello, I want to apply for computer science to Oxbridge, will I be heavily disadvantaged if I do:
Computer Science, Maths, Economics

vs

if I had done Computer science, maths, further maths ?

Hi! You won't be disadvantaged as an A-level in Maths is the only formal requirement. However, Further Maths is highly recommended if you do have the opportunity to take it. See more here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/computer-science?wssl=1
Reply 689
Hi, @LMH OXFORD, I wanna ask a non college specific question, if it's okay.
Is the dress code very strict for the Matriculation ceremony? I mean, is it a must to wear black suit? is navy/dark blue acceptable?
Original post by RMGB
Hi, @LMH OXFORD, I wanna ask a non college specific question, if it's okay.
Is the dress code very strict for the Matriculation ceremony? I mean, is it a must to wear black suit? is navy/dark blue acceptable?

Hello! Most students will wear black, but you can wear whatever you want (including a dark blue) within these regulations: https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/dress?wssl=1
Reply 691
Hello, I'm in Year 12 and I am interested in applying for LMH to study Law but I have average GCSE results and weak A-level options? In your opinion am I likely to be considered with the following:
GCSE - C, 5, 5, 6, B, B, B, B, A*
A-level Predicted - BTEC Business Studies (Distinction), Media Studies (A), Sociology (B), Extended Project (No prediction)
Reply 692
Hello! Most students will wear black, but you can wear whatever you want (including a dark blue) within these regulations: https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/dress?wssl=1

Thanks! @LMH OXFORD
Original post by JN2000
Hello, I'm in Year 12 and I am interested in applying for LMH to study Law but I have average GCSE results and weak A-level options? In your opinion am I likely to be considered with the following:
GCSE - C, 5, 5, 6, B, B, B, B, A*
A-level Predicted - BTEC Business Studies (Distinction), Media Studies (A), Sociology (B), Extended Project (No prediction)

Hi!

Thanks for getting in touch :smile:

Higher grades at GCSE can help to make your application more competitive, and successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades (grades 7,8 and 9 in the reformed system). However, we do look at GCSE grades in context. Where possible, tutors will be made aware of the overall GCSE performance of the school or college where you studied, and also have information on how you have performed compared with other Oxford applicants at similar schools (see further information on how we use contextual data).

If you feel that you did less well in your GCSEs than you might otherwise have done, because of extenuating circumstances, you may still be able to make a competitive application. Examples would include disruption caused by change of school or system, severe discontinuity of teachers, bereavement, and debilitating illness. We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such mitigating circumstances into account, if they are brought to our attention. You may like to mention any such circumstances in your personal statement, and your referee should make sure to mention them clearly in their reference.

Tutors will want to see how you improve your academic performance after your GCSEs and that you do well in your A-levels or other equivalent qualifications.

I would recommend also

1) Getting in touch with the Outreach Officer at the Law Faculty:
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/people/support-staff
2) Having a look at the LMH Oxford Foundation Year:
http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/foundation-year

Hope that helps :smile:
Does the university of Oxford look at gap year applicants for maths negatively? Just wanted to confirm?
Is there anything that the university likes to see in particular from gap year math applicants?
Original post by Rohan77642
Does the university of Oxford look at gap year applicants for maths negatively? Just wanted to confirm?
Is there anything that the university likes to see in particular from gap year math applicants?

Hi Rohan, I'm just pasting in a very useful paragraph from the Maths Department:

Deferred entry applications in Mathematics will be considered from applicants who have planned structured activities in their gap year; activities might include technical employment relevant to Mathematics, teaching abroad or a gap year programme. If uncertain, applicants should raise any questions with the tutors at their chosen/allocated college; tutors may discuss details of the gap year during interviews. After discussion with the candidates, some deferred entry applicants may be offered an immediate place instead. There is no policy for making more demanding offers to candidates seeking a deferred offer. Tutors will typically set successful gap year applicants academic work to be completed during the year or the summer before their first term in Oxford.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any more questions. And, if you can, do try to make an Open Day - it's a really useful opportunity to speak to our lovely Maths tutors :smile:
Hi Rohan, I'm just pasting in a very useful paragraph from the Maths Department:

Deferred entry applications in Mathematics will be considered from applicants who have planned structured activities in their gap year; activities might include technical employment relevant to Mathematics, teaching abroad or a gap year programme. If uncertain, applicants should raise any questions with the tutors at their chosen/allocated college; tutors may discuss details of the gap year during interviews. After discussion with the candidates, some deferred entry applicants may be offered an immediate place instead. There is no policy for making more demanding offers to candidates seeking a deferred offer. Tutors will typically set successful gap year applicants academic work to be completed during the year or the summer before their first term in Oxford.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any more questions. And, if you can, do try to make an Open Day - it's a really useful opportunity to speak to our lovely Maths tutors :smile:

Thank you a lot. I will try my best to attend an open day after my exams :smile:.
Hey,

I know these things are not set in stone, as off there are many other factors involved but I am considering of replying for PPE with the grades of A*A*AA in maths, politics, economics and psychology respectively. I know it is difficult to materialise the process but just want to know the risk that I would be taking! Thank you!
Hi

For gap year math applicants do you expect higher MAT scores than usual applicants?
Also are the interviews supposed to be more tough for gap year math applicants?

Thanks.
Original post by Sara Duro
Hey,

I know these things are not set in stone, as off there are many other factors involved but I am considering of replying for PPE with the grades of A*A*AA in maths, politics, economics and psychology respectively. I know it is difficult to materialise the process but just want to know the risk that I would be taking! Thank you!

Hi Sara,

Your grades are fantastic, and you would meet the conditions of the offer but, as you say, these things are not set in stone. If you have a genuine interest and enthusiasm for PPE and can demonstrate this well (e.g. what are you doing to pursue this at the moment? are you listening to any podcasts or reading books outside of the school curriculum? How might you evaluate these experiences and how have they contributed to your interest in the subject?), you should absolutely go for it! Put simply, you will never know unless you try - and if you don't get a place (often just because we have so many fantastic people applying and not enough places!) you will go somewhere else and have a super time, so you really have nothing to lose :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending