Durham
Visit website

Durham University Postgraduate applicants 2018/2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by simzzbb
Hey!

Anyone for MSc Global Politics?

I got in for the MA International Relations, which although isn't the same degree, is based at the same department and will undoubtedly share a few modules.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by gilbertt
I received an offer to study MA International Cultural Heritage Management, has anyone else done this course?

Also is Durham really as academic as everyone makes out? I'm really scared I won't fit in :/

Also, any feedback on Ustinov as a college? :biggrin:

Congrats on the offer.

What are you scared of? Are you a party animal who is scared your studies will ruin your nights out? :wink:

In terms of Ustinov, I don't have any first-hand experiences to share. I was initially put off by the fact that it was purely postgraduate - I held the stereotypical view that all postgrads are academically driven, dry, and boring. However, upon doing a little bit of research, it turns out that it is an active and vibrant college. I'm stuck between Castle and Ustinov.
Original post by Saffer
Congrats on the offer.

What are you scared of? Are you a party animal who is scared your studies will ruin your nights out? :wink:

In terms of Ustinov, I don't have any first-hand experiences to share. I was initially put off by the fact that it was purely postgraduate - I held the stereotypical view that all postgrads are academically driven, dry, and boring. However, upon doing a little bit of research, it turns out that it is an active and vibrant college. I'm stuck between Castle and Ustinov.

I think I'm just scared that I won't be academic enough and struggle to keep up with work - I guess I just feel like I'm too dumb to go to Durham!
Reply 43
I think I'm just scared that I won't be academic enough and struggle to keep up with work - I guess I just feel like I'm too dumb to go to Durham!

I can understand that thinking as I too thought the same. Being an international student I definitely thought that I would be at a disadvantage when compared with UK students having come through the local system.

However, the fact that we've been accepted to a Masters programme at a prestigious university would suggest that we are in fact capable of not just coping, but also achieving success. Why would the university make you an offer if they didn't think you had what it takes to do well?

You're capable of a lot more than you might think :smile:
Original post by Saffer
I can understand that thinking as I too thought the same. Being an international student I definitely thought that I would be at a disadvantage when compared with UK students having come through the local system.

However, the fact that we've been accepted to a Masters programme at a prestigious university would suggest that we are in fact capable of not just coping, but also achieving success. Why would the university make you an offer if they didn't think you had what it takes to do well?

You're capable of a lot more than you might think :smile:

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:
Reply 45
Just got an offer for MA Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Literary Studies! :biggrin:
Hello everybody,

Anybody heard back about the Durham Doctoral Studentships?

I know most of the departments met last week, but I guess they still have to put forward their candidates in the bigger faculty meeting:wink:
Reply 47
Original post by Durham_
Hi all,

It seems there isn't a thread for postgrads yet.

Got an offer for MA in International Relations (general) and likely to attend.

Good luck all!

I've received a conditional offer for the MSc Marketing course. Hopefully I meet the condition.

I wouldn't worry about that. Durham's postgrads are not premier.
What are all your conditions? :biggrin:
Original post by RandhyNugroho
Hi All!

I've accepted my offer in M.Sc Islamic Finance & Mgmt, anyone going for the same course?

And have anyone tried to search for non-college accomodation? getting some insight will be nice, never been to Durham all my life.

Hello,
First of all congratulations for the offer, I’ve just applied for the same MSc (Islamic Finance & management) for the year 2018/2019, and I was wondering (if you may not mind asking) how long did they take to give you an offer?

Because I’m applying for a scholarship from my country to Durham University but in order to be accepted I have to receive unconditional offer from the university first, and their deadline is 31/May/2018.

Thanks 🙏🏻
Hi everyone! I've accepted an offer for the General LLM. I'm so relieved as it is the only place to which I applied and I love the course!

Does anyone know much about the accommodation/college membership allocation process? I have selected my preferences and have already been offered my preferred college. I have now paid the deposit for accommodation. However, the offer of college membership/accommodation is provisional, subject to the availability of accommodation. Does anyone know what the likelihood of being reallocated? Is it random? Or does it depend on anything else e.g. first come first served? I don't really mind my eventual college, but I dislike the uncertainty of not knowing for sure.
Reply 52
Original post by CaffeineRabbit
Hi everyone! I've accepted an offer for the General LLM. I'm so relieved as it is the only place to which I applied and I love the course!

Does anyone know much about the accommodation/college membership allocation process? I have selected my preferences and have already been offered my preferred college. I have now paid the deposit for accommodation. However, the offer of college membership/accommodation is provisional, subject to the availability of accommodation. Does anyone know what the likelihood of being reallocated? Is it random? Or does it depend on anything else e.g. first come first served? I don't really mind my eventual college, but I dislike the uncertainty of not knowing for sure.

Congratulations on your offer!

Everything I’ve read says it’s first come first served for accommodation, so the earlier you put in your application the better. I wouldn’t be too worried about reallocation if you’ve already been offered college membership, you’re probably among the earliest applicants if you’ve already got your allocation. :smile:

Which college have you been accepted to?
Original post by f26d02
Congratulations on your offer!

Everything I’ve read says it’s first come first served for accommodation, so the earlier you put in your application the better. I wouldn’t be too worried about reallocation if you’ve already been offered college membership, you’re probably among the earliest applicants if you’ve already got your allocation. :smile:

Which college have you been accepted to?

Thank you. That sounds fair enough 😃 I'm not too worried where I end up, but I put Castle as my 1st preference (lots of postgrads, good women's rugby scene apparently) and I ended up getting an offer.
Original post by lt096
Just got an offer for MA Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Literary Studies! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the offer! I'm hoping to apply to the program next year! Do you have any advice about the application process that you found particularly beneficial?
Original post by Mythrandir
Hello everybody,

Anybody heard back about the Durham Doctoral Studentships?

I know most of the departments met last week, but I guess they still have to put forward their candidates in the bigger faculty meeting:wink:

I applied last year and had my decision 7 March (don't know if that's any help!). If you were nominated by your department I think they'll let you know regardless the outcome once decisions are made. Good luck!
Original post by linda helena
I applied last year and had my decision 7 March (don't know if that's any help!). If you were nominated by your department I think they'll let you know regardless the outcome once decisions are made. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your answer!
What is your department? I applied for the archaeology dep. I do not know if they nominated me or not yet.
I checked the anthropology dep.'s guideline for funding, which gives early April as the time of announcement. Do you think it may differ from department to department?
Thank you very much for your answer!
What is your department? I applied for the archaeology dep. I do not know if they nominated me or not yet.
I checked the anthropology dep.'s guideline for funding, which gives early April as the time of announcement. Do you think it may differ from department to department?

You're welcome :smile:
I was informed by my department (Psychology) some time in January that I'd been nominated, but perhaps not all departments do that. Each of the three faculties (Science, Arts and Humanities, and Social sciences and Health) award the DDS separately. I guess the exact date when decisions are announced may differ slightly between the different faculties (it also depends on whether offer holders reject their offers; I was initially on the reserve list before getting an offer).
Original post by linda helena
You're welcome :smile:
I was informed by my department (Psychology) some time in January that I'd been nominated, but perhaps not all departments do that. Each of the three faculties (Science, Arts and Humanities, and Social sciences and Health) award the DDS separately. I guess the exact date when decisions are announced may differ slightly between the different faculties (it also depends on whether offer holders reject their offers; I was initially on the reserve list before getting an offer).

Wow, must have been a very nice surprise for you after a wait :h:

I received my offer letter on the 15 of Feb. The deadline for dds applications was on 23rd of Feb for my faculty. I wasn't informed about my nomination. My potential supervisor also didn't say anything but said she hoped that I could get this scholarship.
I guess if I wasn't nominated, she would have openly said it. 🤔
Wow, must have been a very nice surprise for you after a wait :h:

I received my offer letter on the 15 of Feb. The deadline for dds applications was on 23rd of Feb for my faculty. I wasn't informed about my nomination. My potential supervisor also didn't say anything but said she hoped that I could get this scholarship.
I guess if I wasn't nominated, she would have openly said it. 🤔

It certainly was :smile:

Ah okay. Our deadline was about a month earlier than that, so it makes sense that our decision came earlier.
Yeah, you would think she'd have said something if you weren't nominated. Fingers crossed you get it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest