The Student Room Group

pcos and family issues

okay so basically this is gonna be long. i'm 16 and I feel as though I have excess facial hair and bodily hair compared to all the girls in my class. I am Asian so its normal to have excess hair howver I feel as tho I have more then normal Asian girls. I don't have irregular periods but I do get heavy periods nd I do get acne which are signs of pcos. I am 16 tho so acne could just be coz i'm a teenager and tbh and my facial cleansing routine is not that great at the moment as I am very lazy.so it could be related to that but like I said my acne isn't that severe. anyways a couple years ago....I was quite young and my sister ended up in hospital due to bad pains and apparently she had cysts on her ovaries. they've gone away now but she does have difficulty getting pregnant.I've heard that pcos doesn't mean you actually have cysts but just some sort of follicles.....the thing is idont know if my sis had pcos or just ovarian cysts but the thing is that people with just cysts usually do end up getting pregnant and don't have difficulty.people with pcos do have a difficulty and she does have difficulty.I just found out that she had cysts today as I overheard my mum talking about it on the phone. my family are quite hush hush about topics like these. anyways I told my mum my worries. she doesn't seem that bothered. I told her I want a blood test for my hormone levels but shes like ok will see. I feel like as an Asian parent she doesn't want me to have a diagnosis as she feel that my future husband wuldnt want to marry me which is stupid I guess coz if he was worth it and loved me he wouldn't care about that right? my sis problems occurred after she got married but she was a teenager when she did get married and that's usually when pcos symptoms start to occur. anyways my mum is like focus on your exams for now as ive got gcses coming up but I can really concentrate(another symptom of pcos) but maybe that's just because im over thinking. anyways idk what to do. im worried. my mum seems so hush hush like she doesn't want a diagnosis. pcos is a genetic condition so I guess the on;ly way to find oput is to ask my sis directly and explain my worries because she is a lot more open with me but then again what if im just overthinking and ill sound stupid. please help.
Original post by Anonymous
okay so basically this is gonna be long. i'm 16 and I feel as though I have excess facial hair and bodily hair compared to all the girls in my class. I am Asian so its normal to have excess hair howver I feel as tho I have more then normal Asian girls. I don't have irregular periods but I do get heavy periods nd I do get acne which are signs of pcos. I am 16 tho so acne could just be coz i'm a teenager and tbh and my facial cleansing routine is not that great at the moment as I am very lazy.so it could be related to that but like I said my acne isn't that severe. anyways a couple years ago....I was quite young and my sister ended up in hospital due to bad pains and apparently she had cysts on her ovaries. they've gone away now but she does have difficulty getting pregnant.I've heard that pcos doesn't mean you actually have cysts but just some sort of follicles.....the thing is idont know if my sis had pcos or just ovarian cysts but the thing is that people with just cysts usually do end up getting pregnant and don't have difficulty.people with pcos do have a difficulty and she does have difficulty.I just found out that she had cysts today as I overheard my mum talking about it on the phone. my family are quite hush hush about topics like these. anyways I told my mum my worries. she doesn't seem that bothered. I told her I want a blood test for my hormone levels but shes like ok will see. I feel like as an Asian parent she doesn't want me to have a diagnosis as she feel that my future husband wuldnt want to marry me which is stupid I guess coz if he was worth it and loved me he wouldn't care about that right? my sis problems occurred after she got married but she was a teenager when she did get married and that's usually when pcos symptoms start to occur. anyways my mum is like focus on your exams for now as ive got gcses coming up but I can really concentrate(another symptom of pcos) but maybe that's just because im over thinking. anyways idk what to do. im worried. my mum seems so hush hush like she doesn't want a diagnosis. pcos is a genetic condition so I guess the on;ly way to find oput is to ask my sis directly and explain my worries because she is a lot more open with me but then again what if im just overthinking and ill sound stupid. please help.

As someone with PCOS i would say at this stage try not to worry, yes it might be worth getting a drs appointment to discuss it, which you can do without your mum, but they wont really do much even if they found you do have PCOS because unless you are actively trying for a baby, there isnt much they can do, other than manage your symptoms, they will likely suggest going on the pill, depending on hiw bad your acne is, they may suggest antibiotics for it, hairturism they cant do much for, and if your overweight they may suggest metformin, but thats about it...
Your sister probably had actual cysts since pcos never goes away. It doesn't make you infertile. Just go to the doctor's and get a referral for an ultrasound and wait for your bloods back. As panda said there is basically nothing they can do for it anyway since it can't be cured
Reply 3
Original post by CoolCavy
Your sister probably had actual cysts since pcos never goes away. It doesn't make you infertile. Just go to the doctor's and get a referral for an ultrasound and wait for your bloods back. As panda said there is basically nothing they can do for it anyway since it can't be cured

but why is she having difficulty getting pregnant if it was just ovarian cytsts?
Reply 4
Original post by PandaWho
As someone with PCOS i would say at this stage try not to worry, yes it might be worth getting a drs appointment to discuss it, which you can do without your mum, but they wont really do much even if they found you do have PCOS because unless you are actively trying for a baby, there isnt much they can do, other than manage your symptoms, they will likely suggest going on the pill, depending on hiw bad your acne is, they may suggest antibiotics for it, hairturism they cant do much for, and if your overweight they may suggest metformin, but thats about it...

yeah i'm not overweight...people describe me as relatively skinny that I get teased about it a lot. yeah ill try not to worry but its a scary thought to be honest and I cant concentrate on my exams. if you don't mind me asking what age were u diagnosed and what were your symptoms? was yours genetic/
but why is she having difficulty getting pregnant if it was just ovarian cytsts?

i dont know im not a doctor. Ask your own GP

yeah i'm not overweight...people describe me as relatively skinny that I get teased about it a lot. yeah ill try not to worry but its a scary thought to be honest and I cant concentrate on my exams. if you don't mind me asking what age were u diagnosed and what were your symptoms? was yours genetic/

I got diagnosed during my A level exams. It really isnt worth stressing over. If you have it you have it nothing is really going to change considering they cant do much for it. Just focus on your exams, go to the doctor after that if you want its not like something terrible is going to happen if you dont go immedietly
Reply 6
i dont know im not a doctor. Ask your own GP

I got diagnosed during my A level exams. It really isnt worth stressing over. If you have it you have it nothing is really going to change considering they cant do much for it. Just focus on your exams, go to the doctor after that if you want its not like something terrible is going to happen if you dont go immedietly

LMAO ik you aint a doctor. the only reason I asked was because you suggested(ik you didnt proclaim) that my sis had ovarian cysts which doesn't cause infertility. but my sis is having conceiving problems so I was wondering how that would match up. anyways nevermind lol
LMAO ik you aint a doctor. the only reason I asked was because you suggested(ik you didnt proclaim) that my sis had ovarian cysts which doesn't cause infertility. but my sis is having conceiving problems so I was wondering how that would match up. anyways nevermind lol

I dont know whether you are talking about PCOS or actual ovarian cysts. PCOS doesnt cause infertility it just makes it harder to get pregnant. Go and ask your sister if you are so bothered about it. I said your sister probably had actual ones since PCOS cant be cured and you said they 'went away'
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I dont know whether you are talking about PCOS or actual ovarian cysts. PCOS doesnt cause infertility it just makes it harder to get pregnant. Go and ask your sister if you are so bothered about it. I said your sister probably had actual ones since PCOS cant be cured and you said they 'went away'

yeh lol ik you did. but my point was....cba to explain.it will just get more confusing then it already is. btw is pcos through genetics?

Could just as easily be your sister's partner who has fertility issues...
PCOS Is through hereditory illness passed on to you. I have it too, and btw I'm 28 years old. I had all sorts done to it, My most obvious places I obvious shave it, but for the most other parts I dye it blonde. Ask your parents to purchase a home laser for you to use, it does weaken your hair follicles; makes them look lighter and thinner.

Quick Reply

Latest