The Student Room Group

Afraid i wont get into college becuase my predicted/target grades are low.

Hello I'm currently doing my gcses and I just found out that you get told whether you're accepted into college BEFORE you get your gcses. I'm quite worried right now because my predicted grades or target grades (I don't know the difference but I got these grades from primary school) are low. All my target grades are 5s (grade C) and I fear I won't get into a GOOD college / sixth form becuase of this. I was lazy in primary school, I didn't really know that these grades mattered, I was young and my parents didn't know anything about it either. I know I'm capable of gettings A's and B's and I'm 100% willing to put all y effort into GCSE but I fear that these target grades will not get me accepted into college :frown:help I really don't know what to do 😭
Sorry this was so long and thanks for reading
You can get accepted into college on results day :smile:, and all C's sounds reasonable. Try get predicted some B's and A's tho.

Have you done your year 11 mocks?
no I haven't don't my year 11 mocks yet x I'm in year 10. is that how you get your predicted grade ? thanks
If you’re in year 10 then I wouldn’t worry at all. You still have a lot of time to achieve the grades you need; I’m guessing B’s and A’s? But some C’s are decent. You’re predicted grades are those what your tutors think you will end up getting. Sometimes the student has the persuader the teachers and they will probably talk to each person individually concerning the predicted grades. If you can prove to them that you’re capable of getting decent grades then I don’t see why they shouldn’t predict you good grades. Nevertheless, some teachers are a pain in the a** and get emotional over predicted you the grades you need (or should i say want, lol) -___- But GCSE predicted grades shouldn’t matter too much. I know many people who had crap predicted grades and the sixth forms / colleges didn’t give them an offer but they exceeded their predicted grades and got accepted. So I really mean it when I say it, DO NOT WORRY! And you’re in year 10?!?! They’ll probably (most likely) base predicted grades on what you get at the end of this academic year and the first 1 or 2 months of your next academic year. So work hard and I don’t see why you cant achieve top grades. You evidently cared otherwise you wouldn’t have asked. So do not worry and you should be fine.

What I would advice you to do is to go to the sixth form / college prospectus and see the entry requirements, so that will give you a rough idea of what you need to get. Obviously always aim high! Believe me when i say it, GCSE predicted grades don’t really matter that much because if you get decent grades you can still be accepted into the sixth form / college you want to go to. Sometimes they’re lenient and accept you even if you don’t meet the entry requirements, but of course this isn’t guaranteed. What’s more important is A level / btec predicted grades. So don’t worry and work hard. Hope you get the grades you deserve :smile:)
thanks so much ks234r for the advise! made me feel a lot better! and yes I will work really hard !! thank you!!
Original post by Calypso Xeno
thanks so much ks234r for the advise! made me feel a lot better! and yes I will work really hard !! thank you!!

No problem 👍
Primary school grades have such little weight so don't worry about that! Most sixth forms I have been to always ask me what I think I'm capable of, in your applications maybe attach a more polished version of what you have written there (something along the lines of your school haven't covered the spec or smth) just try and reassure them those grades are not the grades you will get on results day.

what are your predicted grades may I ask (subjects) and what subject do u want to take at a level?
Original post by ohdearstudying
Primary school grades have such little weight so don't worry about that! Most sixth forms I have been to always ask me what I think I'm capable of, in your applications maybe attach a more polished version of what you have written there (something along the lines of your school haven't covered the spec or smth) just try and reassure them those grades are not the grades you will get on results day.

what are your predicted grades may I ask (subjects) and what subject do u want to take at a level?

I only have my target grades (from primary school) I don't think I've got predicted grades yet? I'm in year 10 and the school believes I'll get 5s at gcse. I want to do either physics or chemistry and maybe psychology I'm not too sure. I want to do something that will get me to become a geologist when I'm older so definately a.science but I don't think I'll be doing maths and definately no English based subjects (idk if psychology is English based)
my target grades are all 5s ( grade c). that's what the school thinks I'll get in my gcses but off I'm going to try achieve better

Your GCSE targets are base on KS2results as your school has to measure progress. HOWEVER, the important grades are your predictiona which are based on how well you rae doing; sim to get your predictions higher than your targets.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Your GCSE targets are base on KS2results as your school has to measure progress. HOWEVER, the important grades are your predictiona which are based on how well you rae doing; sim to get your predictions higher than your targets.

Good luck :smile:

tysm for helping ! 💙
tysm for helping ! 💙

Targets are for Ofsted - predictions are for you. [I'm a teacher with tracking and assessment as part of my role]
Targets are for Ofsted - predictions are for you. [I'm a teacher with tracking and assessment as part of my role]

does that effect my chance of getting into college/sixth form?
does that effect my chance of getting into college/sixth form?

The college will be interested in your predictions so work hard this year and do as well as you can in your end of year tests and assessments.
The college will be interested in your predictions so work hard this year and do as well as you can in your end of year tests and assessments.

okay thank you !
Please don't worry at all about this at the moment, you get a 'conditional offer' which is when the sixth form tells you if they want you or not, but this is conditional on what you get on results day. In other words, they can still reject/accept you on the day. The grades your teachers put on your reference in Year 11 will be based on your performance in mock exams, so don't worry at all and just enjoy your final exam-free year :smile:
Original post by riannon2001
Please don't worry at all about this at the moment, you get a 'conditional offer' which is when the sixth form tells you if they want you or not, but this is conditional on what you get on results day. In other words, they can still reject/accept you on the day. The grades your teachers put on your reference in Year 11 will be based on your performance in mock exams, so don't worry at all and just enjoy your final exam-free year :smile:

Ah! thanks! haha yeah that's what I was thinking too its my last exam free year 😂
Original post by SuperHuman98
You can get accepted into college on results day :smile:, and all C's sounds reasonable. Try get predicted some B's and A's tho.

Have you done your year 11 mocks?

no I haven't done year 11 mocks yet ! I'm year 10 x
Hello I'm currently doing my gcses and I just found out that you get told whether you're accepted into college BEFORE you get your gcses. I'm quite worried right now because my predicted grades or target grades (I don't know the difference but I got these grades from primary school) are low. All my target grades are 5s (grade C) and I fear I won't get into a GOOD college / sixth form becuase of this. I was lazy in primary school, I didn't really know that these grades mattered, I was young and my parents didn't know anything about it either. I know I'm capable of gettings A's and B's and I'm 100% willing to put all y effort into GCSE but I fear that these target grades will not get me accepted into college :frown:help I really don't know what to do 😭
Sorry this was so long and thanks for reading

Your target grades don't matter. SATs from primary school decide your target grades, which aren't important - they don't do anything. What matters is your motivation, current grades and GCSE grades.
Original post by Baza2002
Your target grades don't matter. SATs from primary school decide your target grades, which aren't important - they don't do anything. What matters is your motivation, current grades and GCSE grades.

thanks! I'm very relieved to hear these replies! thanks for taking your time to read my post and be kind enough to answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest