The Student Room Group

Timetable examples for speech & language therapy

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who is currently on a speech & language course at Reading, Birmingham City or Plymouth Marjon? I'm wondering whether you can give me an idea of what a normal week looks like?

Any other universities are welcomed so I can build a picture! Placement weeks (although I know they vary everywhere) and normal, in lecture weeks are also useful.

The reason I ask is that I may be commuting (by car) and am figuring out what is possible and what is plain stupid! I know that SLT courses are more intense than others and have heard they are more of a 9 - 5 type structure.

Any and all details are helpful - thanks!
Original post by AJG1991
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who is currently on a speech & language course at Reading, Birmingham City or Plymouth Marjon? I'm wondering whether you can give me an idea of what a normal week looks like?

Any other universities are welcomed so I can build a picture! Placement weeks (although I know they vary everywhere) and normal, in lecture weeks are also useful.

The reason I ask is that I may be commuting (by car) and am figuring out what is possible and what is plain stupid! I know that SLT courses are more intense than others and have heard they are more of a 9 - 5 type structure.

Not much use to you - sorry - but I am in my 4th and final year at MMU. I am aware that things have changed slightly since I first started the course but my first year (if I remember correctly) was in uni most days though sometimes only for a few hours - every Wednesday afternoon off - think this is a common theme at most unis to allow for sports teams etc. Our placements in first year were in blocks, either for a week or for three days, but each uni seems to deal with placements differently. When I started the course Birmingham did have some lectures in the evening (up to about 7pm I think) - don't know if this is still the same.

Hope this helps somewhat but if you called the unis I am sure they could give you information on this years timetable, even though this may not be quite the same as for the next academic year.

Good luck
Original post by AJG1991
Hi everyone,

I studied at Marjon, but I have heard that the course structure has changed quite a lot since I studied there, so my timetable won't be applicable to you. My lecture days were usually 9:30 until 4:30 though, so be prepared for that or very similar times!
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies!

As I've read different threads and been to two interview days since posting I realise the course has changed, primarily because of the removal of the bursary (correct me if I'm wrong!) It's still helpful, though. Did any of you commute?
Original post by AJG1991
Thank you for your replies!

As I've read different threads and been to two interview days since posting I realise the course has changed, primarily because of the removal of the bursary (correct me if I'm wrong!) It's still helpful, though. Did any of you commute?

I lived in Plymouth for my first one and a half years there, but then due to a change in my circumstances I had to commute for the remaining 2 years.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I lived in Plymouth for my first one and a half years there, but then due to a change in my circumstances I had to commute for the remaining 2 years.

Where did you commute from?
Original post by AJG1991
Where did you commute from?

I commuted from 2 hours away, so it was a 4 hour round trip every day I had lectures. Placements were easier because I could get placed locally to me.
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I commuted from 2 hours away, so it was a 4 hour round trip every day I had lectures. Placements were easier because I could get placed locally to me.

Wow, that's a huge commitment but I guess days in lectures are less as you move through the course? I will probably be commuting from around 1.5 hours away so it's good to know someone else has got through it.
Original post by AJG1991
Wow, that's a huge commitment but I guess days in lectures are less as you move through the course? I will probably be commuting from around 1.5 hours away so it's good to know someone else has got through it.

I won't lie, it was very hard, and it gave me less time to do my assignments, but I didn't have a choice, so I had to put up with it.

Quick Reply

Latest