The Student Room Group

HELP With MATHS REVISION

I am resitting my Gcse Maths Higher Edexcel Paper in May and i HAVE to get a Grade 5.What Topics are most likely to come up in this paper,Current Year 11's who are in school and are doing the same Paper as me,what are your teachers focusing more on...For Example what Topics specfically,telling you to do extra revision.Also what did they say about how much you need in every paper to get a Grade 5.The Head of Maths at everyones school would've seen the Mark Scheme which is sent to them
Hi,
I'm guessing you are doing the 9-1 paper, and I'm doing Edexcel also.

The topics that seem to come up most in these papers are: Graphs (Histograms, etc.), Geometry (circle theorems, Pythagoras, etc), Indices (negative, fraction, etc.), Ratio (different problem solving questions) & Probability.

I'd say ratio and probability come up A LOT and have the broadest set of questions, so practice as much questions as you can get your hands on. Geometry also takes up HALF the paper, so if you want to pick up the biggest set of marks, PRACTICE THOSE!!

But you really cannot study these topics alone - they rely on you having knowledge of how to do easier work (basic knowledge) like fraction work, how to expand and multiply algebra brackets, algebraic fractions, quadratic formulas, surds etc...

So I would suggest to study the 5 topics I mentioned, but do make sure you have your basic knowledge covered, and practice many exam questions on these topics because they mix them. For example, a rectangle with Surds in, circle diagrams where you will have to be strong on algebra, ratios and circles together....

Also, I'm not sure about how much you'd need to get on each paper, as with this new 9-1 scheme the grade boundaries are based on how everyone in the country has done, so it fluctuates, there are no set boundaries as with the previous A*-E I believe.
Reply 2
Original post by theggbydealy
Hi,
I'm guessing you are doing the 9-1 paper, and I'm doing Edexcel also.

The topics that seem to come up most in these papers are: Graphs (Histograms, etc.), Geometry (circle theorems, Pythagoras, etc), Indices (negative, fraction, etc.), Ratio (different problem solving questions) & Probability.

I'd say ratio and probability come up A LOT and have the broadest set of questions, so practice as much questions as you can get your hands on. Geometry also takes up HALF the paper, so if you want to pick up the biggest set of marks, PRACTICE THOSE!!

But you really cannot study these topics alone - they rely on you having knowledge of how to do easier work (basic knowledge) like fraction work, how to expand and multiply algebra brackets, algebraic fractions, quadratic formulas, surds etc...

So I would suggest to study the 5 topics I mentioned, but do make sure you have your basic knowledge covered, and practice many exam questions on these topics because they mix them. For example, a rectangle with Surds in, circle diagrams where you will have to be strong on algebra, ratios and circles together....

Also, I'm not sure about how much you'd need to get on each paper, as with this new 9-1 scheme the grade boundaries are based on how everyone in the country has done, so it fluctuates, there are no set boundaries as with the previous A*-E I believe.

Jesus it seems so hard.I am so crap at Maths and dont know how to do half of these things all i can do is revise and hopefully pray for the best
Original post by Ty457
Jesus it seems so hard.I am so crap at Maths and dont know how to do half of these things all i can do is revise and hopefully pray for the best

I can recommend you some good sites to help you if you'd like to make it seem easier, as I'm not brilliant at Maths but I found these sites so helpful!

Justmaths9-1 - Gives you exam questions that you can practice.
Mathsgenie - All the topics for Maths GCSE are on here! Full Edexcel exam papers and little practice papers for each topic are on here too. Really useful site!
Pixl booklets - Gives you more practice if you need it.

Quick Reply

Latest