The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placements 2018

Hi everyone :wavey:

This is a thread for anyone who is applying for a Nuffield Research Placement in summer 2018! :woo: :biggrin:

I completed my placement in 2016, so am more than happy to answer any questions about placements or the application process :smile:

To kick things off, it would be nice for everyone to introduce themselves- maybe start with:

Region:
Area of Interest: (i.e. Which area of STEM you want a placement in)
Current Studies:
Application Status: Not yet submitted/ Submitted/ Successful/ Unsuccessful

If anyone has just found this thread and wants to know more about Nuffield Placements, they are basically 4-6 week long placements where you complete your own STEM research project within a university, company or organisation. You need to be in English/Welsh Year 12, Scottish S5 or Northern Irish Year 13 to be able to apply. The deadlines for some areas have already passed, but there are plenty pf areas still accepting applications :smile:

There's loads more information for anyone who needs it here: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile: ive applied and I’m still waiting for a response. What did they ask in the interview?• how many weeks did you end up doing doing for?• what was your project on? Sorry for all the questions haha but thanksss 😊
Original post by Student879
Hey :smile: ive applied and I’m still waiting for a response. What did they ask in the interview?• how many weeks did you end up doing doing for?• what was your project on? Sorry for all the questions haha but thanksss 😊

Hi :wavey:

Nice to see someone here :lol: No need to apologise :smile:

I didn't have an interview before my placement- I think it depends on the provider and perhaps the region too to some extent.
I did my placement for just under 5 weeks :smile:
My project was investigating the behavioural response of marine invertebrates to pesticides :smile: It was really interesting (even though I don't think it's what I want to do in the future) and I enjoyed the whole experience a lot :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
Hiiiii :smile:

I'm in the process of applying in the South West for Biochemistry, Engineering, Biomedical Sciences or Biology respectively. I am currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

I am struggling on the personal statement. I have no idea what to start with and how to end it, but I am considering a career in Medicine, Dentistry or Biochemistry.

THANKSSSS
Original post by maariaaaa
Hiiiii :smile:

I'm in the process of applying in the South West for Biochemistry, Engineering, Biomedical Sciences or Biology respectively. I am currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

I am struggling on the personal statement. I have no idea what to start with and how to end it, but I am considering a career in Medicine, Dentistry or Biochemistry.

THANKSSSS

:wavey: Hello! :smile:

Nice choice of subjects :smile:

Not sure whether it's all the same as when I applied...Is the main bit still the 2 questions, with 500 words each? Can't remember what the second one is :lol: , but I can give you some pointers if you can remind me what they ask :smile:
Reply 5
Hi there,

I'm hoping to get onto either biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, or forensics and am currently studying chemistry, biology, and psychology at A-Level. I'm living in Leeds and would need to travel to Manchester were i to get the placement, would i get any accommodation or would I need to travel back and forth everyday?
Reply 6
Hi was just wondering I'm from a private school so what are the chances of me getting accepted because they don't accept as many people from private schools.
I'm doing physics maths and further maths and want to do computer science or data science project.
Also anyone know the word limit for the personal statement because it doesnt say and I have written 700 words atm. Thanks
Original post by Eyrún
Hi there,

I'm hoping to get onto either biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, or forensics and am currently studying chemistry, biology, and psychology at A-Level. I'm living in Leeds and would need to travel to Manchester were i to get the placement, would i get any accommodation or would I need to travel back and forth everyday?

:wavey:

You would need to commute every day, but they would cover your train/bus fare. You could end up with a placement in Leeds?

Best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by aceplayyt
Hi was just wondering I'm from a private school so what are the chances of me getting accepted because they don't accept as many people from private schools.
I'm doing physics maths and further maths and want to do computer science or data science project.
Also anyone know the word limit for the personal statement because it doesnt say and I have written 700 words atm. Thanks

I don't have any figures on this, but you're right that they tend to accept fewer people from private schools. It's still worth applying though- nothing to lose really :smile:

Sounds like an interesting area to want to go into (one I know nothing about :lol:)
When I did it 2 years ago, I believe it was 500 for each section, but that may have changed. Double check the guidance on the website to see if it is stated anywhere, but if not it might be worth just sending your local coordinator an email to double check.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your application :smile:
Hi, I was just wondering when (approximately) did you hear back that you got a place? (I’m from Scotland so I’ve already submitted my application, fingers crossed).
Thanks ^_^
Original post by demonic_karasu
Hi, I was just wondering when (approximately) did you hear back that you got a place? (I’m from Scotland so I’ve already submitted my application, fingers crossed).
Thanks ^_^

I'm from Scotland too :biggrin:
I head back in May :smile: There are usually about 500 applications from Scotland for 100 places, so it can take a while to get through them :smile:

What type of placement have you applied for?
Reply 11
Original post by demonic_karasu
Thanks ^_^

Original post by Labrador99

I'm from Scotland too :biggrin:
I head back in May :smile: There are usually about 500 applications from Scotland for 100 places, so it can take a while to get through them :smile:

What type of placement have you applied for?

How many words did u guys write?
Original post by aceplayyt
How many words did u guys write?

I did about 400-500 for each of the 2 questions they had 2 years ago, i think. I can't really remember though.
Reply 13
Hi guys, I did a Nuffield Research Placement in the summer of 2017, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I would definitely recommend applying, even if you think you have a low chance of getting in, cos you never know. Plus, I used a large portion of my Nuffield personal statement in my real UCAS personal statement, so it was worth having it done
Original post by safzab
Hi guys, I did a Nuffield Research Placement in the summer of 2017, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I would definitely recommend applying, even if you think you have a low chance of getting in, cos you never know. Plus, I used a large portion of my Nuffield personal statement in my real UCAS personal statement, so it was worth having it done

Hey, Did u by any chance get asked to have an interview? If so, what kind of questions did they ask?

Thanks xx 😊😊
Reply 15
Original post by Student879
Hey, Did u by any chance get asked to have an interview? If so, what kind of questions did they ask?

Thanks xx 😊😊

No I didn't. I've heard it's just up to the individual company whether or not they want an interview.

Spoiler

:wavey: Saw your posts in other threads and thought you might find this thread useful :smile:
Region: London
Area of Interest: Biomedicine
Current Studies: Biology,chemistry,maths and economics (will be dropping at the end of year 12).Hoping to study medicine.
Region: South Yorkshire but the nearest region was Midlands or smth
Area of Interest: Mathematics, Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science
Current Studies: A Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Y12), with intent to carry all four forward to Y13, hoping to study Engineering or Maths
Application Status: Submitted

I'm not too sure over my odds here but I applied anyway.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Region: London
Area of Interest: Biomedicine
Current Studies: Biology,chemistry,maths and economics (will be dropping at the end of year 12).Hoping to study medicine.

Hope your application is successful :biggrin:

Original post by AryanGh
Region: South Yorkshire but the nearest region was Midlands or smth
Area of Interest: Mathematics, Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science
Current Studies: A Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Y12), with intent to carry all four forward to Y13, hoping to study Engineering or Maths
Application Status: Submitted

I'm not too sure over my odds here but I applied anyway.

It's definitely worth putting in an application even if you think you have no chance (as I thought), so you definitely made the right decision just giving it a go! :biggrin: Best of luck with your application :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending