The Student Room Group

English

I have year 10 mocks and have a test on English Lang and lit and for eng lit I do inspector call and Christmas carol we could be asked any theme or character analysis can anyone r help me out by giving quotes and analysis
Reply 1
Original post by Skkkk
I have year 10 mocks and have a test on English Lang and lit and for eng lit I do inspector call and Christmas carol we could be asked any theme or character analysis can anyone r help me out by giving quotes and analysis

I didn't study inspector calls so won't be much use to you there. I'll see what I can remember for A Christmas Carol. Key themes include:

Transformation (Scrooge from being "as hard and sharp as flint" and "an old miser" to a cheerful man. What brings about this transformation? What is Dickens wider message for society?)

Family (contrast between Scrooge and the Cratchits. What is Dickens message about family? Is is portrayal of the Cratchits as a happy family at Christmas idealistic? Realistic? Would they really be happy?)

Class (Scrooge from the upper class believing the lower class should create a better life for themselves and looking down upon them - "decrease the surplus population". What is Dickens message for the upper class? What does the transformation of Scrooge show about the power of the upper class?)

The Ghosts (how do the ghosts influence Scrooge's change? Is one ghost more significant? What is the significance of ignorance and want? What does the ghost of Marley represent for Scrooge and for the upper class?)

Poverty (How does Dickens present attitudes within the Victorian era? Are the Cratchits the only impoverished characters? Could Scrooge be in a state of emotional or social poverty, whereas the Cratchits are in economic poverty but social wealth? What is the significance of looters stealing clothes from Scrooge's body at the end of the text?)

Wealth (Can happiness be bought? Is Scrooge truly content with his life? Does money bring him joy? Do the Cratchits have joy without money?)

Make sure you always look at texts as a social commentary. That's my number 1 tip. Is the message just for Scrooge? Probably not. Does Dickens use Scrooge to represent a section of society who he is trying to change? Very possibly.

Hope this has helped.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HT2412
I didn't study inspector calls so won't be much use to you there. I'll see what I can remember for A Christmas Carol. Key themes include:

Transformation (Scrooge from being "as hard and sharp as flint" and "an old miser" to a cheerful man. What brings about this transformation? What is Dickens wider message for society?)

Family (contrast between Scrooge and the Cratchits. What is Dickens message about family? Is is portrayal of the Cratchits as a happy family at Christmas idealistic? Realistic? Would they really be happy?)

Class (Scrooge from the upper class believing the lower class should create a better life for themselves and looking down upon them - "decrease the surplus population". What is Dickens message for the upper class? What does the transformation of Scrooge show about the power of the upper class?)

The Ghosts (how do the ghosts influence Scrooge's change? Is one ghost more significant? What is the significance of ignorance and want? What does the ghost of Marley represent for Scrooge and for the upper class?)

Poverty (How does Dickens present attitudes within the Victorian era? Are the Cratchits the only impoverished characters? Could Scrooge be in a state of emotional or social poverty, whereas the Cratchits are in economic poverty but social wealth? What is the significance of looters stealing clothes from Scrooge's body at the end of the text?)

Wealth (Can happiness be bought? Is Scrooge truly content with his life? Does money bring him joy? Do the Cratchits have joy without money?)

Make sure you always look at texts as a social commentary. That's my number 1 tip. Is the message just for Scrooge? Probably not. Does Dickens use Scrooge to represent a section of society who he is trying to change? Very possibly.

Hope this has helped.

Thanks so muchhhh
Reply 3
Original post by Skkkk
Thanks so muchhhh

Are you in year 11

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending