The Student Room Group

Lecturer not counting my sick note?

I was out sick for the past 2 weeks of college, I ended up in A&E last week.
I had an assignment due last Friday, I assumed I was covered given I had a sick note covering me up until today.

I emailed her asking when could I hand in my assignment and whether she needed a copy of my sick cert.

She emailed back saying I should have got in contact with her earlier than this.
And that I will be deduced 2 days, because it's late.
That's 40%, the same as if I just did not hand it in.

That's not fair.
I should have emailed her out of courtesy, but I didn't think I was under any obligation to do so given I was out sick.

What can I do?
This could mean I fail the module and as a result the year.
I suspect the sick note covers you for not being in class and for funding reasons, but not for assignments, if you want an extension you do need to ask in advance :/
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
I had an assignment due last Friday, I assumed I was covered given I had a sick note covering me up until today.

I emailed her asking when could I hand in my assignment and whether she needed a copy of my sick cert.

She emailed back saying I should have got in contact with her earlier than this.

That's not fair.
I should have emailed her out of courtesy, but I didn't think I was under any obligation to do so given I was out sick.
What can I do?

You dont say what you did with the note?
Why didnt you tell the lecturer as well?
Obviously you should appeal and put in either a mitigating circumstances claim or a complaint.to the college principal.

Unless I had been unable to move, then I would have rung in or had someone to do it on my behalf to notify them of the situation.

That's not fair.

What can I do?

I'm really sorry you've not been feeling well, but unfortunately when you are an adult, you have to act like one. That includes letting people know when you are sick and are going to be off, and that you will not be able to hand work in on time. It's not unfair, it's part of growing up unfortunately.
Original post by 999tigger
You dont say what you did with the note?
Why didnt you tell the lecturer as well?
Obviously you should appeal and put in either a mitigating circumstances claim or a complaint.to the college principal.

I'd say a complaint to the principal is a bad idea, what is the complaint? that a lecturer enforced a deadline? Principals really don't like being bothered with such things and I suspect it would just make the issue worse. You'd lose any possibility of lecturer support anyway.

(To OP) See emailing the lecturer in advance isn't common courtesy, it's essential, YOU'RE the one who needs something from them. You can always ask to have deadlines moved in advance but missing a deadline is still missing it and past a point they have to punish it. In uni for us its all online & automated, if miss a deadline 'BANG' 'computer says no'

Be constructive/positive, ask the lecturer what you CAN do to pass the module, isn't there a second attempt date?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StriderHort
I'd say a complaint to the principal is a bad idea, what is the complaint? that a lecturer enforced a deadline? Principals really don't like being bothered with such things and I suspect it would just make the issue worse. You'd lose any possibility of lecturer support anyway.

(To OP) See emailing the lecturer in advance isn't common courtesy, it's essential, YOU'RE the one who needs something from them. You can always ask to have deadlines moved in advance but missing a deadline is still missing it and past a point they have to punish it. In uni for us its all online & automated, if miss a deadline 'BANG' 'computer says no'

Be constructive/positive, ask the lecturer what you CAN do to pass the module, isn't there a second attempt date?

So I get if I email her back and say "Sorry I was out Thursday and decided to stay drinking through the weekend so I missed the deadline" I'm no worse off than having a valid and medically backed explanation?

She does not know the nature of my illness I could have been unconscious for that time, I doubt my parents first point of call would be to see what assignments are due.

Ours was to be handed in, no online submission otherwise I would have been fine since I had it written up for the most part before I was ill.

Nope, I get automatically deducted 40% of a 20% assignment.

I missed a group presentation the same day, I emailed him at the same time and he said 'that's fine, get well soon'.
I don't see it to be fair.
Original post by StriderHort

The principal is normally the person to contact in the event of an official complaint. They could try the personal tutor to act as go between.
It is the right time to consider this as the lecturer has made their decision and without some actual intervention by a third party, then it will stand.
The complaint is that they formally submitted a sick note covering them for the 2 week period as they would not be in college. This has not been passed ib t teaching staff and now they are being failed for something they believe they were covered for..
He has already lost lecturer support.
The complaint procedure take sit out of their hand and gets someone independent to look at the situation.
Your advice ignores the reality of the situation.

ps OP you should still have told them though.
(edited 6 years ago)
It’s up to a lecturer whether or not they accept any EC. Regardless you should contact them as soon as possible.

That's not fair.

What can I do?

40% is a pass not a good pass granted but still a pass.
So I get if I email her back and say "Sorry I was out Thursday and decided to stay drinking through the weekend so I missed the deadline" I'm no worse off than having a valid and medically backed explanation?

Yes. pretty much i'm afraid, the reason for missing a deadline comes second to the fact it was missed. :/

She does not know the nature of my illness I could have been unconscious for that time, I doubt my parents first point of call would be to see what assignments are due.

They'll have a hard time knowing especially if you don't warn them :/ If might ask, why WERE you off for two weeks? That's a long time, were you proper laid up/hospitalized/unconscious for the two weeks unable to use email or telephone? Not trying to be harsh but that's how they will look at it, they'll still see it as your responsibility to have got in touch with them beforehand. If you've been proper PROPER ill you can likely make a claim of extenuating circumstances, but the criteria for that is harsh also. :/

I've been a student rep the last 3 years at college and uni so seen a lot of this, the highest flying student in our year totally screwed themselves in a similar way. Given a deadline for graded unit proposal (part 1 basically, same 20% of the total idea) nothing fancy 1500 words odd.....he decided to go overboard and devise this huge complex 5000 word thing, totally blew the deadline and assumed the uni would just fix it. So he got a hell of a nasty shock to be told it was a fail, it limits his overall project grade to a C and THAT limits his overall grade to a B. which to him is a huge deal. In the unis defence, the project brief makes it v clear in big bold caps that the deadlines are a vital part of the grade, and the penalties for missing them. :/

Like I said, best I can advise is approaching them positively and asking what you can do to fix it, Student Support would be a good place to ask advice as well in this case, I hope it works out for you anyway :smile:

PS: come to think of it, sick lines work the same way with employers, it covers you when you return but you still 100% have to inform them you're not coming to work in advance or they count it as unauthorised absence and likely sack you, no matter what the sick note says.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's pretty harsh but it is your responsibility to inform teachers if things like this come up. The deadline is a deadline unless explicitly discussed to get yourself an extension. There may be wiggle room but it'd be a courtesy not a requirement.
I got a response.
She was very impressed with my email as to why is shouldn't be penalised (or at least to that extent) and she removed the entire penalty and said if I apply that standard to my course work I will go very far.

I'm glad I didn't face any real repercussions but I'll learn from it in the future!
I got a response.
She was very impressed with my email as to why is shouldn't be penalised (or at least to that extent) and she removed the entire penalty and said if I apply that standard to my course work I will go very far.

I'm glad I didn't face any real repercussions but I'll learn from it in the future!

What did you write in the email if you don't mind me asking?
I got a response.

GJ, but you were foolish and careless.
I got a response.

Glad it worked out :smile:
Original post by Blackstarr
What did you write in the email if you don't mind me asking?

This was the email I responded to;
“I am off campus today doing research work. My disposition is to bend over backwards for my students who make an effort but I have low tolerance for those that don't. Here is my dilemma. You had 6 weeks to submit the assignment. You were sick (with a respiratory infection) for the last two. You made no attempt to contact me to request an extension or to ask to submit it by email. You have now had 4 extra days than your peers to work on the assignment. It is important to me to be fair to everyone and particularly those who take their studies seriously. Is there anything you can say in your defence that would help me decide what action, if any I should take? regards,”

This is long but it’s my full reply;
“I was lucky that I had a large portion of the report written up before I was sick as I was in no state to write it over the past two weeks. I intended to submit the report before the deadline but not so far in advance that I would impair myself by not using the full time allowed. This coupled with the fact that the University was closed on the Thursday and the Friday due to bad weather before my absence I was never; as I'd imagine was the case with the majority of the class: going to submit the assignment that far in advance when I was given 6 weeks, nor was I expecting to get sick. I was sick with Pleurisy, I was on a course of antibiotics and steroids as I also have asthma. When this did not clear I was advised by my GP to go to A&E because there was a possibility that it had developed into bacterial pneumonia and/or that fluid had built up around my lungs that was not resolved by the antibiotics in the first week, and could have needed a chest tube to drain it. Luckily for me that was not the case or I would be out for at least another week. But as a result I was on a course of prescription painkillers that made me drowsy; anti-inflammatories and an extended course of antibiotics. I was under the impression that a sick cert would explain my absence, irregardless of the severity. I can however get proof from my GP to the severity and why I was unable to attend college/submit my work if needs be. I don't see it as fair that I receive the same penalty as someone without a valid reason for absence and while I agree that I should have emailed in advance out of curtesy and I apologise again for not doing so; I don't see it as justification for the penalty. Had I emailed you in advance I imagine I would have had the same or a similar extension, and while I had the assignment completed, had I not I was no better off than my peers given the circumstances. I did not think there was a possibility to submit the assignment via email given it was specified it had to be handed in, had I known/thought to ask I would have submitted the assignment on time. And I agree I was at fault for not doing so I do not see it as justification for a 40% penalty, while it would seem fair had I no explanation, with a sick cert it does not. If I had submitted the assignment yesterday would I have incurred less of a penalty despite the fact that the college was closed? I also don't see it as fair to assume I do not take my studies seriously, while I made the mistake of not emailing you in advance that does not change the validity of the sick certs or my commitment to my degree. That's why I'm emailing you; had this happened in first year and I was expecting to pass the module, I would not have seen the need to defend my sick cert/absence, but given this accounts towards my end result I take issue with it. So the sick note holds no validity? I was under the impression that a sick note proves an inability to work and/or be at work (or in this case college) given the assignment had to be handed in I was under the impression it was covered, I also missed a presentation which was covered and an online submission which was also covered by the sick note. I would like to apologise again for not contacting you in advance, I was under the false assumption that I was covered. That being said I do not see the justification in the severity of the penalty and while I completely agree with your low tolerance for students who do not make an effort I do not see myself as one of them. Had I not had justification for my absence than I would agree with the enforcement of the penalty, but as it stands and as I see it as I am being penalised for not contacting you about an extension, but I did not think I had to ask for an extension when I had a sick cert and while I now see I was in the wrong I do not see that as justification for the 40% penalty. So while I may be wrong, I see reason to defend my point given the impact it would/will have on my grade in this assignment, module, year and overall degree. Had I no justification then I would have no one to blame but myself but given the circumstances I cannot agree that the penalty is justified. Even as it pertains to Employment Relations, I feel the need to defend what I feel is unjust so I hope you can respect that even if you do not agree. Apologies for the lengthy response, Kind Regards,”

Im on mobile so I don’t know if that formatted correctly.

That's not fair.

What can I do?

Can you retrospectively defer it? I did this for an assignment I was not fit to do but hadn't realised until after, I was allowed an uncapped retake due to circumstances and with a medical letter. I know it's rare but this could help? Does your assignment count for much?
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Can you retrospectively defer it? I did this for an assignment I was not fit to do but hadn't realised until after, I was allowed an uncapped retake due to circumstances and with a medical letter. I know it's rare but this could help? Does your assignment count for much?

The Op was successful and he won't be penalized.

“I am off campus today doing research work. My disposition is to bend over backwards for my students who make an effort but I have low tolerance for those that don't. Here is my dilemma. You had 6 weeks to submit the assignment. You were sick (with a respiratory infection) for the last two. You made no attempt to contact me to request an extension or to ask to submit it by email. You have now had 4 extra days than your peers to work on the assignment. It is important to me to be fair to everyone and particularly those who take their studies seriously. Is there anything you can say in your defence that would help me decide what action, if any I should take? regards,”

“I was lucky that I had a large portion of the report written up before I was sick as I was in no state to write it over the past two weeks. I intended to submit the report before the deadline but not so far in advance that I would impair myself by not using the full time allowed. This coupled with the fact that the University was closed on the Thursday and the Friday due to bad weather before my absence I was never; as I'd imagine was the case with the majority of the class: going to submit the assignment that far in advance when I was given 6 weeks, nor was I expecting to get sick. I was sick with Pleurisy, I was on a course of antibiotics and steroids as I also have asthma. When this did not clear I was advised by my GP to go to A&E because there was a possibility that it had developed into bacterial pneumonia and/or that fluid had built up around my lungs that was not resolved by the antibiotics in the first week, and could have needed a chest tube to drain it. Luckily for me that was not the case or I would be out for at least another week. But as a result I was on a course of prescription painkillers that made me drowsy; anti-inflammatories and an extended course of antibiotics. I was under the impression that a sick cert would explain my absence, irregardless of the severity. I can however get proof from my GP to the severity and why I was unable to attend college/submit my work if needs be. I don't see it as fair that I receive the same penalty as someone without a valid reason for absence and while I agree that I should have emailed in advance out of curtesy and I apologise again for not doing so; I don't see it as justification for the penalty. Had I emailed you in advance I imagine I would have had the same or a similar extension, and while I had the assignment completed, had I not I was no better off than my peers given the circumstances. I did not think there was a possibility to submit the assignment via email given it was specified it had to be handed in, had I known/thought to ask I would have submitted the assignment on time. And I agree I was at fault for not doing so I do not see it as justification for a 40% penalty, while it would seem fair had I no explanation, with a sick cert it does not. If I had submitted the assignment yesterday would I have incurred less of a penalty despite the fact that the college was closed? I also don't see it as fair to assume I do not take my studies seriously, while I made the mistake of not emailing you in advance that does not change the validity of the sick certs or my commitment to my degree. That's why I'm emailing you; had this happened in first year and I was expecting to pass the module, I would not have seen the need to defend my sick cert/absence, but given this accounts towards my end result I take issue with it. So the sick note holds no validity? I was under the impression that a sick note proves an inability to work and/or be at work (or in this case college) given the assignment had to be handed in I was under the impression it was covered, I also missed a presentation which was covered and an online submission which was also covered by the sick note. I would like to apologise again for not contacting you in advance, I was under the false assumption that I was covered. That being said I do not see the justification in the severity of the penalty and while I completely agree with your low tolerance for students who do not make an effort I do not see myself as one of them. Had I not had justification for my absence than I would agree with the enforcement of the penalty, but as it stands and as I see it as I am being penalised for not contacting you about an extension, but I did not think I had to ask for an extension when I had a sick cert and while I now see I was in the wrong I do not see that as justification for the 40% penalty. So while I may be wrong, I see reason to defend my point given the impact it would/will have on my grade in this assignment, module, year and overall degree. Had I no justification then I would have no one to blame but myself but given the circumstances I cannot agree that the penalty is justified. Even as it pertains to Employment Relations, I feel the need to defend what I feel is unjust so I hope you can respect that even if you do not agree. Apologies for the lengthy response, Kind Regards,”

Very well written. Well done. Glad you got through in the end.

It's good that it worked out in the end.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest