The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Taify
Hey guys! Help me! What do you think about my IB subjects. I chose subjects that I liked not based on career requirements. What careers can I get with these subjects?

Here it is: hL economics or chemistry
Psychology
Biology

Standard level
English
Arabic
Math

Also if anyone wants to help me about career guidance please do. Also if you can tell me about each subject it will be very helpful.

If you choose Chemistry HL and Biology HL, it means you can go into basically any science field. Economics HL is very good for accounting/finance, although you proably need HL Math, depends which uni. Psychology is a good subject, but I would recommend it at higher level because it doesnt mean much for uni's- u can even study psychology without doing it at HL.
Should I take history or psychology HL if I want to study art related subjects in the future
Original post by katherine97085
Should I take history or psychology HL if I want to study art related subjects in the future

Hey I'm currently a student looking to study architecture or design and so far I haven't found any prerequisite for that. BUT, I think also it depends a lot on what "art related subject" you want to do because some design schools might say psychology is beneficial for your studies during uni. I know a lot of people who have applied to American art schools and usually art schools don't require much subjects, it's more about your portfolio and personal statement. Also, check the school that you think you want to get into. Schools tend to slightly differ in their requirements and it is a pain to go check all of them but you got to do what you gotta do. Everyone says this and it gets annoying after hearing it again and again but it really is the only legit way to check. Another way to check is to ask your school counselor.

And just a sidenote, both subjects take a LOT of memorizing, and it really depends a lot on your teacher, for example, what content you study, how you study it, etc, especially for history. My friends all take history and they seem fine with it because they learn history relevant to their lives so it's interesting for them. If I were you I'd check with your pyschology teacher and history teachers about how they teach it and what they teach, not to mention teachers that will soon teach your other courses.

This is a note for you and all others that come into this thread for help:
For any course you take in IB, you should take the courses that you will enjoy, not courses you take only because it might help you to get into university or help you during your studies in university. It is likely that you will get de-motivated because it's not easy as it was in previous years. I've changed my language course in Y1 Semester 2 because I couldn't stand it. And it was the schedule that I chose after thinking at least 10 times about it, along with alot of research about it. So please be careful of what you choose to study. And as I assume you are into arts, I recommend you to stay focused on art. Challenging yourself is good, but overwhelming yourself is bad, and it has lasting effect on your life. Do what you love!!!
Hope that helps, and ask me if you have more questions!
Original post by morassfatuous03
Hey guys!
I am planning to do aeronautical engineering at the universities. For that, chemistry is not mandatory yet, desired. But I am taking Chemistry in IB. But, I need to choose between chemistry hl and sl. I am not a native english speaker, so I am not confident about taking English Language and Literature HL. However, I also dont want to take Chemistry HL, as I am already taking harder subjects like Maths HL and Physics HL.
So which one should I take, chemistry hl or english hl? Which one is supposedly harder?
PLease help!!!!

Hi! I'm currently in IB. I'm Korean, and I previously took English Lang and lit and changed it to Korean Self-Taught Lit. Personally, I feel like there is a barrier-like thing when you study foreign languages, and it's really hard to break it. For example, I got 760/800 from SAT reading and writing and I still struggled with the course. I could get the workload done, but it took me way longer than it should have, which becomes the problem. Time is really gold in IB.
And I assume you would want better grades. I wonder what else subjects you are planning to take. I don't take chemistry, but I do take physics, and my friends take physics and chemistry. As long as you have an interest in the subject, and you have a steady working habit, then I think you'd be fine. From what I remember(I was going to do engineering so I was looking into taking chem and physics, but I changed my mind a few months before the final decision date) chemistry HL is harder and has more content than SL. But at the same time, it all comes down to your own efforts and your interest for the subject. If you are a more math and science oriented person that likes to solve problems, learn new stuff, watch science videos in your free time, you probably will find chem hl easier than English hl. Or if you are good at analyzing texts, reading fast, catching the main point of the text, etc, then you probably will like English HL better than chem HL. If it is both then you are gifted lol.

I suggest having a think about this, talking to your parents, friends, teachers, counselors about this. And then if you still can't decide you can put both of them to HL, so take 4 HLs initially, then drop one later, before the end of first year of IB.
Hey guys. So I’m in a dilemma in choosing ib subjects. Firstly, I like math more than science. I do not like memorizing stuff, more of a formula follower, problem solving type of thing. I’m predicted a high A in IGCSE international mathematics but my teacher said I’m capable of getting an A*, so should I consider math HL? These are my subject choices if I choose math HL:
* Biology HL * Math HL (online) * Art HL * Arabic SL * English A SL * Physics SL

What careers will this provide me? And what’s your experience with math HL? Is it nessecary to take physics HL along with math HL?

Now my plan B if I don’t take math HL is this: (I know it’s completely different, this is because in my school we’re not allowed to take physics and biology together) * English A HL * economics HL (online) * Physics HL * Arabic A SL * history or chemistry SL * Math SL What careers can this give me?

And now my plan C which is not recomended by the school but I can still do it: * English A HL * Psychology HL (online) * Biology HL * Arabic A SL * Math SL * Business and management SL (online) What careers can this give me?

(Sorry for such a long post and thanks for everything, btw any career guidance will be much appreciated!)
Original post by Sailin
Oh wow I'd wanted two lang As but ended up doing one A and one B so that I could focus more on Chemistry...

I live in China and the teachers teaches the IB the Chinese way, so lots and lots of practice questions. And it really helps to have a good teacher. I'm applying for medicine this year and I'm taking only maths sl, which has saved me time for biology and volunteering, etc. but I've always thought maths HL can be helpful. Good luck anyway! My school wouldn't accept any changes after the first month, but I suppose it shouldn't be difficult in reality as most subjects have to finish SL content first.

Hey, Sorry I just read this! I actually just dropped to SL math after 2 trimesters, and it's actually very helpful to make time for other things... but thanks and good luck on your medicine applications!!
Original post by Videturo
Hey guys. So I’m in a dilemma in choosing ib subjects. Firstly, I like math more than science. I do not like memorizing stuff, more of a formula follower, problem solving type of thing. I’m predicted a high A in IGCSE international mathematics but my teacher said I’m capable of getting an A*, so should I consider math HL? These are my subject choices if I choose math HL:
* Biology HL * Math HL (online) * Art HL * Arabic SL * English A SL * Physics SL

What careers will this provide me? And what’s your experience with math HL? Is it nessecary to take physics HL along with math HL?

Now my plan B if I don’t take math HL is this: (I know it’s completely different, this is because in my school we’re not allowed to take physics and biology together) * English A HL * economics HL (online) * Physics HL * Arabic A SL * history or chemistry SL * Math SL What careers can this give me?

And now my plan C which is not recomended by the school but I can still do it: * English A HL * Psychology HL (online) * Biology HL * Arabic A SL * Math SL * Business and management SL (online) What careers can this give me?

(Sorry for such a long post and thanks for everything, btw any career guidance will be much appreciated!)

Hey, I can't help much for career guidance, sorry, but I'll try helping you from personal experience...
I'm currently taking:
HL: chem, bio, english lit (& math before)
SL: french a, math, history

Plans:
In plan A, you said you didn't like memorising and preferred maths over science, so I therefore wouldn't recommend HL bio because it's a lot of memorising (although I enjoy it a lot).
I'm sure you could do well in HL math ! I took it for 6 months, and had an amazing teacher, but dropped because of the university courses I'm applying to: I need a guaranteed 7 in my HLs. The first trimester was difficult, and then in the second trimester I realised I needed to do many exercises, lots of past paper questions and spend
As long as you are interested and prepared to spend time on exercises, you stand a chance at doing really well regardless what is often said about HL maths... However, since it's an online course maybe it'll be easy to lose interest in it? But that all depends on your preferred learning style. It's usually possible to drop to SL maths though if you take 4 HLs.
I don't think it's necessary to take Physics HL and math HL, especially since those are 2 challenging subjects– but very achievable if you are interested in them. Typically, someone looking for engineering/math/physics courses would take that combination of subjects.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1586981 already discusses this i think

In plan B, taking both econ and history opens up law as a career option or many other humanities-related careers (I think!!) whilst taking both physics and chemistry opens up engineering in some universities and other science careers.

Career:
In terms of career guidance, it's always difficult to know what career is right and I'd say it's impossible for us high schoolers to know that they want a specific career right away...
What I did was take a personality test (16 personalities, MBTI– it's free online) and thought about the university courses I wanted to study based on my personality type and what general subject I currently enjoy in high school. Depending on what country you want to study in, there's also liberal arts courses where you can still explore subjects of interest at university instead of diving straight into a career.
Reply 1687

37 minutes ago

Hi! I`m going to take an IB next year and the problem is uni I want to attend. It wants me to take 3 sciences and therefore i will need to either have an irregular diploma or take 7 subjects. My school wants me to drop my social science. I will need to do german B but i think I`ve almost forgotten it and I did not do GCSE German.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

How much free time do IB students have? Is IB diploma really THAT hard? Is language B hard to get 7 in (especially German)? Do you know somebody who is taking 7 IBs and is it manageable?

Some information about me:

My choices so far:
English A lang and lit SL
German B SL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Math SL
I am not sure about taking Economics SL as a seventh subject.

I am expected to get A* in my Bio, Chem, Phys, Art exams and A in math

Thank you for your help!

Original post by LinaV

37 minutes ago

Hi! I`m going to take an IB next year and the problem is uni I want to attend. It wants me to take 3 sciences and therefore i will need to either have an irregular diploma or take 7 subjects. My school wants me to drop my social science. I will need to do german B but i think I`ve almost forgotten it and I did not do GCSE German.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

How much free time do IB students have? Is IB diploma really THAT hard? Is language B hard to get 7 in (especially German)? Do you know somebody who is taking 7 IBs and is it manageable?

Some information about me:

My choices so far:
English A lang and lit SL
German B SL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Math SL
I am not sure about taking Economics SL as a seventh subject.

I am expected to get A* in my Bio, Chem, Phys, Art exams and A in math

Thank you for your help!

Hi! I just finished with my last exam yesterday. In answer to your qs yes the IB really is that hard but it is very manageable IF you are organised and keep to deadlines. I am doing 2 language Bs (spanish and french) and if you like languages then I see no reason why you couldnt aim for a 7. SL lang is easier though than HL so it should be achievable. I have never met anyone who has done 7 subjects, but in truth I dont think it is possible. We don't have frees as it is, and ToK is technically a 7th subject anyway...so it would be more like doing 8! Try to stick with 6 if at all poss!
Hope it goes ok. 😁
Reply 1689
Original post by Tilly2000
Hi! I just finished with my last exam yesterday. In answer to your qs yes the IB really is that hard but it is very manageable IF you are organised and keep to deadlines. I am doing 2 language Bs (spanish and french) and if you like languages then I see no reason why you couldnt aim for a 7. SL lang is easier though than HL so it should be achievable. I have never met anyone who has done 7 subjects, but in truth I dont think it is possible. We don't have frees as it is, and ToK is technically a 7th subject anyway...so it would be more like doing 8! Try to stick with 6 if at all poss!
Hope it goes ok. 😁

thank you very much for your advice. I worry a bit because my german is very bad. I did not revise german and did not speak in it for a year or so. I had A2 a year ago but now my knowledge of the language now are more passive- I can`t speak or write, but I understand when I hear german or read it. I think I will need to attend German courses during the summer holidays to successfully complete a course. :frown:
Hello, I have been offered a place at UWC and I am now choosing my IB subjects.
I am considering these:

Higher Level : Mathematics HL, Physics HL, Economics HL
Standard Level : Mandarin Ab Initio SL and English Language & Literature SL

I would like to pursue Computer Science at university. My prospective universities require just Mathematics HL with one HL science subject.

For the sixth subject, I would like to take Visual Arts SL. However, would it be inappropriate for my major at uni? Should I take one more science subject to strengthen my university application. Also, I am a bit worried if my grades may drop due to Visual Arts...

This is a confusing time for me... Anyway, thanks for any advice.
I want to study systems theory or get into AI and stuff, but I really like bio and econ too, so I'm keeping my subjects kinda vague but open:

Physics HL
Bio HL
Econ HL
Further math HL (I'll be the last batch which can opt for this...I got an A* in add math and if I really try, I could maybe get a 7?)
Eng SL
French B SL

Thoughts/advice?
(edited 5 years ago)
hello! i have chosen my subjects this way

English Lit and Lang A HL/SL (TBC)
Biology HL
Economics HL

Theater HL/SL (TBC)
Maths SL
French B SL

as u can see, for theater and english, i am unsure as to which one i should take as HL bc i love both theater and english lit and they are my best subjects as of IGCSE and i have a passion for the both of them. i dont have a solid ambition which i know is unfavourable but im still tryna figure it out :frown:

any suggestions/ideas?
Original post by Paing Thet
I am considering these:

I would like to pursue Computer Science at university. My prospective universities require just Mathematics HL with one HL science subject.

For the sixth subject, I would like to take Visual Arts SL. However, would it be inappropriate for my major at uni? Should I take one more science subject to strengthen my university application. Also, I am a bit worried if my grades may drop due to Visual Arts...

Most people I know who want to do CS take two sciences. However, if you are absolutely sure that only Physics hl is required for uni application, then it's perfectly fine to take Visual Arts. It doesn't hinder your chances as long as you have extracurricular activities or other stuff to prove your interest and potential in CS in your personal statement. If you have the right projects in VA, you can probably even mention them in the ps.

Another thing to consider is that VA takes a lot of time and effort to get a 7, whereas Chemistry or Biology would be much easier (for a potential CS student, I imagine) and allow you more time for other things.

I feel responsible to say that I didn't do particularly well in this uni admission cycle, but the advice is based on what I feel should be correct from all the experience. Plus medicine interviews are just a whole other story...
Hey there,
I am currently an IB-prep student and will be starting the DP next year. I am almost sure that I want to study psychology (or any behavioural science & neuroscience) at university. The subjects that I've chosen are:

Mathematics HL
Biology HL
English B HL
Turkey in the Twentieth Century SL
Turkish A Literature SL
German B SL

Due to my school's policy I cannot switch TITC with any other subject; however I can change the Maths HL to Maths SL, take English A Lang & Lit instead of English B and take an online course via dropping German B. (I have Psychology SL in mind)

+ Should I take the Psych SL online? Would it seem decent on my applications or should I just stick with German B?
+ Is English B better over Lang & Lit in this case? Many seniors at my school told me that English B is way more easier than English A and it is more possible to get a higher grade.
+ Final question: Is this combination more challenging than it should be, in your opinion? Many people think that Maths HL is extremely hard for a person to cope with, and I don't know if my skills meet the demand. (I have a predicted score of A in IGCSE Maths if that helps)

Thanks a lot if you take the time to read it, really appreciated :smile:
Hi! I’ll be doing IB next year and I’m not sure which subjects to choose.. I’m considering doing a science (maybe physics?) at uni but I’m not sure and would like to keep my options open.

Current subject considerations (we don’t have to choose our HLs, except math, til the end of next year so it’s just the subjects):

HL math
Physics
Chem/bio/econ
History
Spanish B/ French ab initio
English lit/ langlit

-Do bio and physics go together as subjects?
-How hard is econ if you have no prior experience with it (and most of my classmates will)?
-How hard is Spanish B? I’ve taken it for 5 years, and am pretty good at everything except speaking, but hate it with a passion.. would French ab initio be easier to get a high mark in?
-what’s the difference between lit and langlit? I’m pretty good at English (not so much at creative writing though) and I’m not sure which one would fit me best.. which one is easier to get a high mark in?

Thoughts?
Thanks for reading!
Original post by midnight2828
Hi! I’ll be doing IB next year and I’m not sure which subjects to choose.. I’m considering doing a science (maybe physics?) at uni but I’m not sure and would like to keep my options open.

Current subject considerations (we don’t have to choose our HLs, except math, til the end of next year so it’s just the subjects):

HL math
Physics
Chem/bio/econ
History
Spanish B/ French ab initio
English lit/ langlit

-Do bio and physics go together as subjects?
-How hard is econ if you have no prior experience with it (and most of my classmates will)?
-How hard is Spanish B? I’ve taken it for 5 years, and am pretty good at everything except speaking, but hate it with a passion.. would French ab initio be easier to get a high mark in?
-what’s the difference between lit and langlit? I’m pretty good at English (not so much at creative writing though) and I’m not sure which one would fit me best.. which one is easier to get a high mark in?

Thoughts?
Thanks for reading!

Hey,

- yes! bio and physics is an interesting combination, but I know someone who wants to do engineering and takes HL math, bio and physics because physics & math is required for uni, and he prefers bio over chemistry. Depending on what you want to study at university, you should check the requirements but I think it should be fine.

- (I don't know about econ, sorry)

- I personally think that if you hate spanish, you shouldn't really take it because IB subjects are difficult in general, so you should pick subjects you have a lot of motivation for– that can make so much difference!! Also, (i thinkkk) ab initio languages tend to be easier and starting to learn a new language is pretty enjoyable, so yahh.. I know that the lang B grade boundaries are very high (like 90% for a 7), which makes it very difficult to get high grades if you're not willing to put the work in...

- I'm currently taking english lit because I'm also pretty bad at creative stuff. Basically, english lit is more reading and more analysing texts than lang&lit. Both have presentations to do, which do require some degree of creativity, but langlit have whole units on languages and written tasks, which I think involve a lot more of creativity. If you enjoy reading and analysing literature, you should take english lit. Statistics show that it is very hard to get 7s in literature, but again, if you're willing to put the work in and you genuinely enjoy the subject, you'll be fine.
Original post by 12to16ELEMENOP
I want to study systems theory or get into AI and stuff, but I really like bio and econ too, so I'm keeping my subjects kinda vague but open:

Physics HL
Bio HL
Econ HL
Further math HL (I'll be the last batch which can opt for this...I got an A* in add math and if I really try, I could maybe get a 7?)
Eng SL
French B SL

Thoughts/advice?

Further maths higher level counts as two subjects not one. You have to do regular HL maths with it as well. That would mean 5 higher levels. I speak from experience when I say that’s not gonna happen no matter how well you do at gcse. About 100 people in the world do further maths hl every year. It’s the equivalent to the first year of your degree. The content of regular hl maths is equivalent to a level further maths. It’s extremely difficult and the questions are actually harder than a level further maths. If you really want to do hl further maths give it a go, but you’ll be one of very few in the world to do it, and your ib year 2 will be hell
Original post by Paing Thet
I am considering these:

Which UWC? I'm going to AC this august
Original post by easilybored
Hey there,
I am currently an IB-prep student and will be starting the DP next year. I am almost sure that I want to study psychology (or any behavioural science & neuroscience) at university. The subjects that I've chosen are:

Mathematics HL
Biology HL
English B HL
Turkey in the Twentieth Century SL
Turkish A Literature SL
German B SL

Due to my school's policy I cannot switch TITC with any other subject; however I can change the Maths HL to Maths SL, take English A Lang & Lit instead of English B and take an online course via dropping German B. (I have Psychology SL in mind)

+ Should I take the Psych SL online? Would it seem decent on my applications or should I just stick with German B?
+ Is English B better over Lang & Lit in this case? Many seniors at my school told me that English B is way more easier than English A and it is more possible to get a higher grade.
+ Final question: Is this combination more challenging than it should be, in your opinion? Many people think that Maths HL is extremely hard for a person to cope with, and I don't know if my skills meet the demand. (I have a predicted score of A in IGCSE Maths if that helps)

Thanks a lot if you take the time to read it, really appreciated :smile:

English B is definitely easier, especially if you basically know it anyway, if you want to do psychology then go for it but I would be wary of online courses, it can be really easy to get behind without the pressure of an actual physical teacher and progress is often a lot slower.
Good luck though!

Latest