The Student Room Group

Possible to learn A level chemistry and biology by the exam dates and get a C?

I haven't really started learning A level biology and chemistry and was wondering if it would be possible to learn both within the 2 month given time frame & still achieve a C as a minimum. Willing to revise and will be leaving my job in around a weeks time.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Possible yes.

Likely? No.
Reply 2
Original post by CharliesUK
Possible yes.

Likely? No.

Any tips on how I could go about getting my C then if it is 'possible'?

ty
Im in the same boat and im trying to aim for A* lol. Try past papers and just constantly go over notes/textbook
Possible yes.

Likely? No.

crammed the as exams the night before and got A. so its very likely. the only problem is the big topics like photosynthesis :/
wait is that the subjects you take in class , or are doing it as a private candidate/outside of your school curriculum
Reply 6
Original post by Animotion712
crammed the as exams the night before and got A. so its very likely. the only problem is the big topics like photosynthesis :/

The only issue with me is that I haven't gone over the chapters before. It will be my first time and I'm doing A level.
Plenty of time for a C, you could get an A/A* in this time frame as well.
Reply 8
Im in the same boat and im trying to aim for A* lol. Try past papers and just constantly go over notes/textbook

Have to learn it first as I haven't begun lol.

I stated that it was possible but unlikely to happen even though he/she is aiming for an A.

The main issue they face is that they need to learn the content from scratch, you seem to have already gone over it.
Reply 10
Original post by Ray_Shadows
wait is that the subjects you take in class , or are doing it as a private candidate/outside of your school curriculum

I'm doing both as a private candidate. I'm in a gap year and did my A2 last year in economics (B) business(B) computer science (D). Those were done with a college.
Reply 11
Original post by showaeski
Plenty of time for a C, you could get an A/A* in this time frame as well.

Hope so, just over 2 months left. Will have to start learning the content ASAP and then leave 2 weeks or so for past papers.
I stated that it was possible but unlikely to happen even though he/she is aiming for an A.

The main issue they face is that they need to learn the content from scratch, you seem to have already gone over it.

hasnt op been taught the syllabus in class? we went over the stuff but none of it sank in. my teachers are really bad at teaching. I bet in a week i will have covered the whole syllabus and understood it better compared to being taught it for the past 6 months.
Reply 13
hasnt op been taught the syllabus in class? we went over the stuff but none of it sank in. my teachers are really bad at teaching. I bet in a week i will have covered the whole syllabus and understood it better compared to being taught it for the past 6 months.

I'm a private candidate :/
Original post by DrReview
I'm a private candidate :/

damn your screwed lol. i recommend buying tailored tutors and revising by watching his videos. i only saw one of the free vids on youtube and he is really good at teaching the syllabus.
Original post by DrReview
I'm doing both as a private candidate. I'm in a gap year and did my A2 last year in economics (B) business(B) computer science (D). Those were done with a college.

hmmm ok

for chemistry , if you're really good at maths then there's half the problem more or less solved because alot of spec is math based (especially since the gov changed it) so as said just go over topics and follow through with past papers

for biology (imo i find it harder than chem) because of how much knowledge/facts you need to get top marks , however that being said alot of that can be built up from gcse knowledge but adding 1 or 2 more facts. Once again past papers are are the key

if you have no over exam this year and you keep powering through day in,day out for the next two months , you should be ok to get atleast a C

I don't believe he has as he stated he was doing it as a private candidate. You also had some sort of help and some sort of clue what was going on however I'm not sure it will be possible with 'OP' unless he gets some sort of a tutor. I would say C would be the maximum do-able grade in this situation.
It is possible, but I mean - if you don't understand it then it'll be hard.
Reply 18
Original post by Ray_Shadows
hmmm ok

for chemistry , if you're really good at maths then there's half the problem more or less solved because alot of spec is math based (especially since the gov changed it) so as said just go over topics and follow through with past papers

for biology (imo i find it harder than chem) because of how much knowledge/facts you need to get top marks , however that being said alot of that can be built up from gcse knowledge but adding 1 or 2 more facts. Once again past papers are are the key

if you have no over exam this year and you keep powering through day in,day out for the next two months , you should be ok to get atleast a C

Thanks for that :smile:.

I don't have any other exams this year so I should have day and night free to myself soon.

My only issue is with the past papers and how to write up to standard in exams. I've heard biology also is based around the quality of work which is written.

Is there any sites or any books which will help to learn both of them from scratch?
Reply 19
Original post by LadyEcliptic
It is possible, but I mean - if you don't understand it then it'll be hard.

I've started a bit of biology and chemistry and for now chemistry seems more difficult then biology but I believe this will change once I go further into biology where lots of steps and content will need to be learned.

Should I just follow the syllabus or learn straight from a textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest