The Student Room Group

Advice on A level Options?

I’m currently in year 11, and debating over my a level topics for sixth form. My dream is to study law at Oxford, so I want to choose the right subjects for me. So far my options are English Lit, Geography, Chinese and Psychology, however I would have liked to take biology in psychologys’ place but the option blocks didn’t work out. I’m considering switching Chinese to Biology, but for all those with experience with oxbridge admissions, would Chinese a level make me a more unique candidate/ stand out on my application?
Thanks for any advice :smile:
Reply 1
Yep, I’d deffo say Keep Chinese cos that’s a wow factor, biology doesn’t necessarily link to law so maybe keep psychology as that does have some bio in anyway.. :smile: good luck
Reply 2
Thanks! X
Reply 3
Many who study law tend to study traditional, essay based subjects with some sciences thrown in there. You certainly have that in English Literature and to an extent in Geography too. Biology would have been good but suppose things don't always go to plan.

Chinese would certainly be valuable as language A-Levels are respected as a whole. But, as for it setting you apart I don't think it will particularly if I'm honest. If you're doing it because you want to study it and think you'll do well then it won't harm your application. However, Oxford won't care that you've studied an 'unusual A-Level', they want academic excellence in whatever you study. So don't choose it just because it'll set you apart. A*AA in normal subjects (History, Literature, Biology let's say) is good to them but if you only get AAA having Chinese isn't going to save you.

Are you planning to continue all 4 subjects to A2? Remember universities will only make an offer based on 3 A-Levels, and they would take A*AA but wouldn't accept AAAA instead.

Taken from Oxford, Faculty of Law:
"Your choice of subjects is your own. Strictly academic subjects matter most. Both arts and sciences are helpful."
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest