The Student Room Group

Going to fail first year ?

Hey,
The support team at my university have told me I'm most likely going to fail the year due to my lack of attendance.
I wasn't there most of the year since my mental health (I'm diagnosed with a personality disorder and depression) got really bad and in the last month I tried to do something stupid (I won't say what since last time I tried to on here they removed the post.) and ended up in hospital for a few days.
I looked at the previous exam papers and I think I could just about pass them with some intense studying.
I was wondering whether mitigating circumstances would apply during my exams and if I got slightly (only a few percent!) than 40% I could still somehow pass the year?
Thanks
P.S. My course is criminology if that's of any importance.

Scroll to see replies

You will not fail... during my first year my attendance was poor probably 10% lol & I was contacted by my uni that itā€™s dropped crazily & ******** on lack of attendance reflects grades.. WRONG! I went to literally none of my lectures, maybe a few seminars where it was for an exam or test few days after. Pass rate for each module for first year isnā€™t high so itā€™s easy to get a pass.

I passed with a 2:1.

You have to put a tiny bit of work into passing though.

Goodluck!!!!
Reply 2
Original post by ChocoRaisans
You will not fail... during my first year my attendance was poor probably 10% lol & I was contacted by my uni that itā€™s dropped crazily & ******** on lack of attendance reflects grades.. WRONG! I went to literally none of my lectures, maybe a few seminars where it was for an exam or test few days after. Pass rate for each module for first year isnā€™t high so itā€™s easy to get a pass.

I passed with a 2:1.

You have to put a tiny bit of work into passing though.

Goodluck!!!!

Thank you ! That's really helpful considering how things are right now. Can I ask, how exactly did you study and did you have essays to do for your exams?
Original post by Lsheep666
Thank you ! That's really helpful considering how things are right now. Can I ask, how exactly did you study and did you have essays to do for your exams?

All my exams were scenario essay based. The seminars I attended for the modules were sly hints on what were to come up in the exam, so itā€™s important you go to these so you can get an idea of whatā€™s to come up to revise!

For essays I would literally write out my notes a few times till itā€™s imbedded in me, so then itā€™s easy for me to quickly just write it all out in the exam and apply the scenario straight away.

Mind maps have always helped me a lot, it helps to look and read from it a lot so you get sort of like this photographic memory of it in the exam.

Even though you are first year, you still need to put in a bit of work to get a 2:2 overall, but thatā€™s only with hopes you get an average of 50-60% in every module.
Original post by rickyrossman
If you can't hack uni how will you hack a real job?

Employer won't buy depression and MH problems.

Very supportive šŸ‘ŒšŸ»

Do you think he asked to be diagnosed for depression?

How does this mean he canā€™t hack uni and get a degree...?
Original post by ChocoRaisans
Very supportive šŸ‘ŒšŸ»

Do you think he asked to be diagnosed for depression?

How does this mean he canā€™t hack uni and get a degree...?

He just said hes going to fail...
He just said hes going to fail...

S/he's worried s/he's going to fail.

What uni student hasn't had that worry.
Original post by Notoriety
S/he's worried s/he's going to fail.

What uni student hasn't had that worry.

The worry isn't failing anymore... it's making sure you get a 2.1 or 1st otherwise you've p***** Ā£40k+ down the drain.
Original post by Anagogic
The worry isn't failing anymore... it's making sure you get a 2.1 or 1st otherwise you've p***** Ā£40k+ down the drain.

In first year, I had a worry about failing.
Being told that theyā€™re going to fail first year by his uni doesnā€™t mean itā€™s an automatic fail...what kind of crap is this lol.

I was told the same rubbish in my first year especially by other students & I study law which is quite a full on course & I came out with a 2:1. At the time I felt symptoms of depression but itā€™s normal for a student who is going through a stressful time to be sad, hopeless, lonely etc etc.

Just got to put in the work from now thatā€™s all which Iā€™m sure they are willing to do from now.
In first year, I had a worry about failing.

Initially perhaps, that's natural given the change of structure and what's expected of you.
Initially perhaps, that's natural given the change of structure and what's expected of you.

It was four years ago, so I am over it.
It was four years ago, so I am over it.

Fair, what did you graduate with?
Fair, what did you graduate with?

55%. But it's from a Russell Group ...
55%. But it's from a Russell Group ...

Is that what you tell employers?
Is that what you tell employers?

Don't need to. It is known ubiquitously that 55% from RG is 80%+ at an ex-poly. Further, I am not sure why you're so smug ... you don't even have letters at the end of your name yet. Wait till you've even done your first year exams before getting cocky :wink:
Reply 16
If you can't hack uni how will you hack a real job?

Employer won't buy depression and MH problems.

Have you heard of the Equality Act 2010?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
It is known ubiquitously that 55% from RG is 80%+ at an ex-poly.

And yet you'd been doing so well with your other posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
And yet you'd been doing so well with your other posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I was trying to extract why that poster suddenly asked for my classification. Usually people asking for specifics is foreplay to them saying something smug. I don't really think that! More importantly, I don't really have bloody 55%!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Difficult to use in practice, especially at smaller firms with poor archives (i.e. the ones most likely to be discriminating). I think the main issue with that person's post is thinking that employers are that prejudicial towards their employees. Naivete in the extreme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it enforceable? If someone arrived to your office 15 minutes late and said 'feeling depressed' what would u do?

Quick Reply

Latest