The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Help! Where should I stay! (1st year physics/self-catered/ensuite)

I am hopefully starting uni at Manchester to study physics in September, but I made the mistake of never going to look at any accommodation! I'd like to live either in City or Fallowfield, but I can't figure out where's best. I'm quite quiet so i'm marginally worried about making friends, and I'd prefer self catered ensuite accommodation. Where do physics students live?! Help!

Grace
Reply 1
I’m not a current student but in the exact same boat as you, and I've decided on Fallowfield. While City is far closer to the physics buildings, there are a lot of internationals and exchange students who tend to stick together and are not as openly social (at least from what I’ve read).

Fallowfield is pretty far with a 15 min bike ride, but it’s hailed as the most social accommodation site so making friends won’t be any problem. The rent is cheap since superficially the apartments look like prison cells, and the rooms are small but it’s close to big supermarkets and the curry mile. In my physics interview/visit the guy mentioned Fallowfield a lot and said that it’s where most of the students reside.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Pls just stay at whitworth park hall. Thank me later
Reply 3
Original post by Onlineslayer
Pls just stay at whitworth park hall. Thank me later

how come?
Reply 4
Original post by dwalone
I’m not a current student but in the exact same boat as you, and I've decided on Fallowfield. While City is far closer to the physics buildings, there are a lot of internationals and exchange students who tend to stick together and are not as openly social (at least from what I’ve read).

Fallowfield is pretty far with a 15 min bike ride, but it’s hailed as the most social accommodation site so making friends won’t be any problem. The rent is cheap since superficially the apartments look like prison cells, and the rooms are small but it’s close to big supermarkets and the curry mile. In my physics interview/visit the guy mentioned Fallowfield a lot and said that it’s where most of the students reside.

thanks for your advice!! hope you enjoy physics and maybe we'll see each other around in september!
I honestly don't think you need to worry about making friends and all as long as you are staying within uni accom (and not private accom).

Fallowfield is definitely where most students would be (based on numbers alone). However do consider that it is about 20-25 min away (or so I've heard) by bus. So people end up buying a bus pass (£235 for a year if I'm not wrong) or a bike. Whereas if you stay in city or Vic then it's nearer.

Also I guess it's true that more international students stay in city rather than Fallowfield. So if you're worried about having majority international flatmates (i.e. can't get along well etc) then this may be something you'd consider.

And, you can also make friends with people from your course, or from societies that you join. Especially societies, since those that join would have a common interest, so it's much easier to have topics to talk about.

But I would say that accom is first-come-first-serve so do hurry either way.
Reply 6
Original post by singzeon
I honestly don't think you need to worry about making friends and all as long as you are staying within uni accom (and not private accom).

Fallowfield is definitely where most students would be (based on numbers alone). However do consider that it is about 20-25 min away (or so I've heard) by bus. So people end up buying a bus pass (£235 for a year if I'm not wrong) or a bike. Whereas if you stay in city or Vic then it's nearer.

Also I guess it's true that more international students stay in city rather than Fallowfield. So if you're worried about having majority international flatmates (i.e. can't get along well etc) then this may be something you'd consider.

And, you can also make friends with people from your course, or from societies that you join. Especially societies, since those that join would have a common interest, so it's much easier to have topics to talk about.

But I would say that accom is first-come-first-serve so do hurry either way.

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending