England 1485–1558: the Early Tudors
England 1547–1603: the Later Tudors
The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603–1660
The Making of Georgian Britain 1678–c.1760
From Pitt to Peel: Britain 1783–1853
Liberals, Conservatives and the Rise of Labour 1846–1918
Britain 1900–1951
Britain 1930–1997

This thread can be used for both AS and A Level exams. The biggest difference is in the exam layout and amount of questions.

Please use the poll to select which topic you're doing, if you click here you can see who else is studying the same topic as you, @tag them in the thread and get chatting and sharing ideas.:smile:

I did Pitt to Peel for A Level last year, feel free to ask me anything.:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi all; I did OCR A-Level History last year (Britain 1930-97) and received an A*, so if any of you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LennyBicknel
Hi all; I did OCR A-Level History last year (Britain 1930-97) and received an A*, so if any of you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them! :smile:

Likewise!
I got an A* on the Early tudors 1485-1556 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Likewise!

Hi,

I'm doing The Early Tudors this year (A-level, not AS). Do you have any A* essays (source and long essay) you would be happy to share?

Also, how did you revise for history, if you don't mind me asking?
Hi there.. I’m hoping for an A* in that module and have been told my cw is A* and got A* in mocks in thematic and American revolution paper but always a A/B in British which I think I know it better than other paper! Any advice you cld share? I’m not sure about the foreign policy part at all. Well done btw! Appreciate any tips ...
Reply 5
Likewise!

Hi! First of all, that's amazinggg, knowing how much i hate tudors lool

How did you structure your 20 mark essays? as well as the source questions? i don't know how to add in the provenance of a source and if it is useful? if that makes sense

thank you!
Original post by MillsandMoo
Hi there.. I’m hoping for an A* in that module and have been told my cw is A* and got A* in mocks in thematic and American revolution paper but always a A/B in British which I think I know it better than other paper! Any advice you cld share? I’m not sure about the foreign policy part at all. Well done btw! Appreciate any tips ...
Which topic are you studying for British?:smile:
Original post by subonash
Hi! First of all, that's amazinggg, knowing how much i hate tudors lool

How did you structure your 20 mark essays? as well as the source questions? i don't know how to add in the provenance of a source and if it is useful? if that makes sense

thank you!

Thank you :biggrin: I think I got 43/50 - a good 4 marks above the A* boundary at least :smile:

I don't think I had a structure per se, it was merely writing what came natural and making sure I didn't waffle! I'd always try to start my introduction with a specific date (so if the question is asking about Henry VII's threats to his reign perhaps begin like "following his victory at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, Henry VII held numerous challenges throughout his reign that lasted until 1509. [1 or 2 examples that will be the basis of paragraphs] and then end your intro by stating the main argument throughout the essay (usually this is what theme or arguing point is the strongest/weakest).

Whatever your main argument is, is going to be the first paragraph. If you think that pretenders were the strongest threat, write that first!

When adding in a counter-argument, I usually add this in after explaining why it's a strong point. E.g.: Despite this, there are clear records of Henry VII effectively dealing with pretenders, such as his victory against de la Pole at the Battle of Stoke in 1487, due to Henry winning the battle within an hour. This battle is also classified as the final battle in the War of the Roses, foregrounding how weak of position pretenders had against Henry as King.

Always try planning your order of the paragraphs before you start as well - it makes it so that when you're writing the information will flow more consistently and read as a higher level.

That's for the tudor 20 marks essays, anyway :smile:
Is anyone doing Anglo Saxon and Norman England?
Original post by chelseafc141
Is anyone doing Anglo Saxon and Norman England?
Just you so far. More should come along.:smile:
hey do you have any revision notes / practice essay tips that you could share?
Original post by Jasmine G
hey do you have any revision notes / practice essay tips that you could share?

https://collegehistory.wordpress.com

This website is amazing. It had revision notes and sample essays for many of the different time periods studied as well as a guide on how to write your essays
https://collegehistory.wordpress.com

This website is amazing. It had revision notes and sample essays for many of the different time periods studied as well as a guide on how to write your essays
Please bear in mind that this was for the old specification.:smile: A lot of the materials will still be relevant, but the exam-specific advice about how much time to spend on each question may well have changed.:wink:
Original post by 04MR17
Please bear in mind that this was for the old specification.:smile: A lot of the materials will still be relevant, but the exam-specific advice about how much time to spend on each question may well have changed.:wink:

Yeah the exams have completely changed in style. I think the notes are still relevant content and they’re really clear and concise though. But you’re right: you should take the exam advice with a pinch of salt
See attached a list of essay questions for Pitt to Peel.:smile:

Will post source ones later on.:wink:
Now see attached booklet of Source Questions for Pitt to Peel.:smile:
Reply 16
@Jackinky and @musicangel any advice on the Tudor Stuarts? I have hardly had much practice answering the source questions and just in general find this topic the weakest out of the three i do. So any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries for the coursework usually are?
Reply 18
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries for the coursework usually are?

They change every year but the raw marks would be 90% for an A* and 80% for an A etc.
Thank you :biggrin: I think I got 43/50 - a good 4 marks above the A* boundary at least :smile:

I don't think I had a structure per se, it was merely writing what came natural and making sure I didn't waffle! I'd always try to start my introduction with a specific date (so if the question is asking about Henry VII's threats to his reign perhaps begin like "following his victory at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, Henry VII held numerous challenges throughout his reign that lasted until 1509. [1 or 2 examples that will be the basis of paragraphs] and then end your intro by stating the main argument throughout the essay (usually this is what theme or arguing point is the strongest/weakest).

Whatever your main argument is, is going to be the first paragraph. If you think that pretenders were the strongest threat, write that first!

When adding in a counter-argument, I usually add this in after explaining why it's a strong point. E.g.: Despite this, there are clear records of Henry VII effectively dealing with pretenders, such as his victory against de la Pole at the Battle of Stoke in 1487, due to Henry winning the battle within an hour. This battle is also classified as the final battle in the War of the Roses, foregrounding how weak of position pretenders had against Henry as King.

Always try planning your order of the paragraphs before you start as well - it makes it so that when you're writing the information will flow more consistently and read as a higher level.

That's for the tudor 20 marks essays, anyway :smile:

How would this differ for 30 markers pls? Plus do you have any specific tips or tricks for getting an A*? Thank you so much :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending