The Student Room Group

Should I complain about my supervisor?

Right...

How to begin…

I have been given my third topic for my dissertation. I dealt with it as the proposal was due two weeks after and I didn’t have time to research and decide a new topic.

Got on with it, etc etc hate it but whatever, nothing I can do about it. Nonetheless, my supervisor was amazing so supportive, always replying to my emails, aiding me. But she’s on study leave.

I have a new supervisor (he’s hot ngl) but he doesn’t seem to care, at all. I have emailed him on numerous occasions for a meeting (i.e. to speak about worries, not the content) and he replies with ‘well, I would prefer you send me something to read so I can use my time properly’ and most of the times, he does not reply back until say, a week after. He’s met with me once, and we are supposed to meet on weekly occasions…

He said in one email that ‘he has other students too’ which is fair enough if I was annoying him but I am not, at all. I just want to book an app. to discuss my plans. Furthermore, I have emailed him to meet twice on specific occasions and he’s kindly informed me he was out of the country, A WEEK AFTER we were meant to meet.

I have contacted the coordinator about this and shall arrange a meeting. But I feel bad?

I have spoken to friends who have really supportive tutors, always pushing them, happy to give feedback. BUT, I haven’t sent him my 3K chapter draft either he wanted it on the first of March but I told him the week after would be best as I have an assignment on the fifth. He didn’t bother to respond to me about this or anything as such…

I am usually so organised, kicking myself not giving a draft but I suppose I just need to kick a*ss and shock him for the final copy.

Anyways… am I being harsh? He’s young, fresh out of a PhD, and he’s very smart when he does help but it’s like he’s not bothered at all. It is my degree on the line.

Scroll to see replies

I can understand your frustration but really he probably does have a lot to do and isn't used to being in this position. I do think it's important for you to send him emails with drafts attached or emails specifically mentioning the problems you're facing. If you're just arranging vague meetings then he's not going to see them as important or sense any urgency. He also can't properly address your problems in person if he has no material to work with. Send him whatever you have so far, even if you haven't got 3K so he can at least give you some feedback either through email or a scheduled meeting a few days later.
Original post by showaeski
I can understand your frustration but really he probably does have a lot to do and isn't used to being in this position. I do think it's important for you to send him emails with drafts attached or emails specifically mentioning the problems you're facing. If you're just arranging vague meetings then he's not going to see them as important or sense any urgency. He also can't properly address your problems in person if he has no material to work with. Send him whatever you have so far, even if you haven't got 3K so he can at least give you some feedback either through email or a scheduled meeting a few days later.

I understand this but he's not being reasonable at all - he applied for this job so he should take responsibility.

I have sent him emails - he does not reply, that's the issue. Is it too late now to send drafts?
Original post by RosieAppleLemon
I understand this but he's not being reasonable at all - he applied for this job so he should take responsibility.

I have sent him emails - he does not reply, that's the issue. Is it too late now to send drafts?

In most cases academics apply for a job as a researcher and get lumped with students so making assumptions is not going to get you anywhere. Yes as above send in drafts so he has something to work with. Academics are very busy and receive hundreds of emails daily.
Original post by alleycat393
In most cases academics apply for a job as a researcher and get lumped with students so making assumptions is not going to get you anywhere. Yes as above send in drafts so he has something to work with. Academics are very busy and receive hundreds of emails daily.
/

It's not acceptable to use the fact that he is busy as an excuse. I want general help - not him to write the bloody thing. As a student, I have things outtside of Uni too but I still get on with it. How are you going to say to me it's okay for to meet me ONCE in 4 months?
/

It's not acceptable to use the fact that he is busy as an excuse. I want general help - not him to write the bloody thing. As a student, I have things outtside of Uni too but I still get on with it. How are you going to say to me it's okay for to meet me ONCE in 4 months?

It isn't an excuse. Most likely he is busy. He has no reason to ignore you on purpose. You are one of several students and other commitments. Asking for general help as said above is the problem as it is a waste of time. Send him specific questions and something to look at. Support doesn't have to be in the form of meetings which are more time consuming and sometimes unnecessary.
Reply 6
Once in 4 months isn't ideal but it is one more time than I saw my BA diss supervisor, haha.

He will be better placed to discuss your plans and concerns if he has some tangible idea of what you are trying to do. If you don't want to talk to him about the content, what do you want to talk to him about? What is the 'general help' you need?
I changed supervisor at the start of the year and it worked in my favour however, I'm not sure if changing it so late is the best thing to do right now. When is your deadline? If you really really feel like it's gonna mess you up and there's no way you can do it then speak to the overall disso manager about it. But if you can suck it up and get on with it for the remaining few weeks then just get it done and dusted.
Original post by cupcakes87
I changed supervisor at the start of the year and it worked in my favour however, I'm not sure if changing it so late is the best thing to do right now. When is your deadline? If you really really feel like it's gonna mess you up and there's no way you can do it then speak to the overall disso manager about it. But if you can suck it up and get on with it for the remaining few weeks then just get it done and dusted.

He started in January... since my previous one went on study leave.

It's due in 4 weeks. Has not yet replied to me emails either.
Original post by gjd800
Once in 4 months isn't ideal but it is one more time than I saw my BA diss supervisor, haha.

He will be better placed to discuss your plans and concerns if he has some tangible idea of what you are trying to do. If you don't want to talk to him about the content, what do you want to talk to him about? What is the 'general help' you need?

I have emailed him questions too, but he replies with really REALLY general things or he just doesn't reply at all.

I don't really know where I am going with my disso. so how can I send him something I am not sure of? Point of my emails are to discuss if this is right for certain chapters.

Uni finishes next week too, so wondering if I should send him something over the weekend?
Original post by alleycat393
It isn't an excuse. Most likely he is busy. He has no reason to ignore you on purpose. You are one of several students and other commitments. Asking for general help as said above is the problem as it is a waste of time. Send him specific questions and something to look at. Support doesn't have to be in the form of meetings which are more time consuming and sometimes unnecessary.

I receive emails a week AFTER when the policy is within three days - so what's the point in emailing him when he doesn't reply?

He doesn't care, this is my point.
He started in January... since my previous one went on study leave.

It's due in 4 weeks. Has not yet replied to me emails either.

Speak to the person above your supervisor, managing the whole dissertation. You need feedback and if you haven't had any with 4 weeks to go then you need to get some now.

Hopefully they'll be able to talk to your supervisor and get them to respond or get someone to have a look themselves.

Hopefully they'll be able to help
I receive emails a week AFTER when the policy is within three days - so what's the point in emailing him when he doesn't reply?

He doesn't care, this is my point.

Look, you've already been given sensible solutions. If you choose to ignore them that's up to you. You have to weigh up whether it is too late to complain and change or worth it for what you may get out of it. Good luck!
Four weeks is plenty of time, send whatever you’ve got as soon as you can and even if he takes a week to reply then you’ll still have time to make changes.
Reply 14
I have emailed him questions too, but he replies with really REALLY general things or he just doesn't reply at all.

I don't really know where I am going with my disso. so how can I send him something I am not sure of? Point of my emails are to discuss if this is right for certain chapters.

Uni finishes next week too, so wondering if I should send him something over the weekend?

I'd send him something and be sure to clearly express concern that you don't feel like you have a solid plan. If he still doesn't pull weight, go over his head and complain.

If you are late sending drafts etc, he might be labouring under the impression that you don't care (and so why should he put himself out).

Does he have an office hour (I assume he does)? Find out when it is and go in and see him. Things are oft better address face-to-face, and he can't shark out of office hours (usually, anyway).
/

I think your uni has perhaps set unreasonable expectations by suggesting once weekly meetings are the norm, when your tutor clearly can't cater to this (e.g. if he is out of the country). Once I had my data, I saw my dissertation supervisor twice in sixth months, plus some extra written feedback on a drafts and my data.

I do think it is expected to have a plan or an outline and say "what do you think of this?" rather than asking for the supervisors help in coming up with a plan, and I also think you get more out of supervisions if you send some of your work to the supervisor ahead of this.

However, it seems like your supervisor is not meeting the expectations set out by your uni, so at this stage, I would go over his head and complain to someone like your course leader or the module leader.
/

TBH it sounds like you want way more help than you need to be given. This is meant to be your work still. Your supervisor had to remind you he has other students so it's clear you're asking too much. You also tried to arrange meetings to discuss 'concerns' rather than the work - a total waste of his time. And you are emailing about things like chapter content. He is also clearly telling you that he wants to give you feedback on work you've done not randomly discuss different ideas.

And despite this - when he actually asked for a draft to mark you didn't send one... I don't think your complain will get you anywhere as this guy will just say he told you multiple times to write something he could give feedback on and you never did so.

Also 'as a student I have things out of uni too'. If he just finished his phD he's probably working 2-3x the number of hours you are, even assuming a part time job. Being an academic in the early stages of career is extremely hard work.

Op, send your draft work to him and ask for specific details. Also, find out when his office hours are and go meet him face to face. I would also book an appointment with your "learning and development (LD)"/ "assignment helpers" at your Uni to help with your dissertation.

I once had an unhelpful supervisor, I had to take things into my own hands, by booking appointments with the LD staff at my former University. They proved helpful, so they could be beneficial to you too, if your University has something like that. All the best.
Original post by doodle_333
TBH it sounds like you want way more help than you need to be given. This is meant to be your work still. Your supervisor had to remind you he has other students so it's clear you're asking too much. You also tried to arrange meetings to discuss 'concerns' rather than the work - a total waste of his time. And you are emailing about things like chapter content. He is also clearly telling you that he wants to give you feedback on work you've done not randomly discuss different ideas.

And despite this - when he actually asked for a draft to mark you didn't send one... I don't think your complain will get you anywhere as this guy will just say he told you multiple times to write something he could give feedback on and you never did so.

Also 'as a student I have things out of uni too'. If he just finished his phD he's probably working 2-3x the number of hours you are, even assuming a part time job. Being an academic in the early stages of career is extremely hard work.

I don't understand what is wrong with people like you - have you read what I said? I haven't asked him for any help aside from checking my plan (which is he paid to do) and I have sent him drafts (just not the entire chapter) and he hasn't emailed me back with a response for over 4 weeks with that! Rather pointless speaking with you about this as you are not considering that this is my degree on the line.

He hasn't helped me in the slightest with the actual thing - he even said to NOT to a literature review when it is compulsory.
Are you a troll

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending