The Student Room Group

Redoing A-Levels under the new reform

Hey hey :h: I finished my A Levels in 2016, where I achieved the grades BCC. The two C grades were in chemistry and biology, under WJEC. I'm now looking to resit the two sciences, which I will have to do under the new specification, which I presume I would just enter for all the exams and sort out the practical modules as a private candidate which is fine.

My question is, I would also like to sit AS Level Mathematics (I studied most of year 12 for it but didn't take the exams because of health reasons) but would not like to complete the full A Level as the amount of self teaching would be too intense with my other commitments. Is this still possible? Can I still obtain an AS-Level or are they removed with the new reform?

Preferably I'd like to sit it under WJEC as that's what I'm used to, but any exam board is fine.

Thanks!
Reply 1
AS levels still exist. You can just enter for it rather than the A level.
Reply 2
I know that for AQA maths this is the last year you can sit the exams by module so for AS that would be C1, C2 and either S1 or M1.
After this year, there are no more resits for the old spec so AS exams don't count as a qualification and you have to do the full A-level.

Not sure about other exam boards.
Original post by Zaeliar
Hey hey :h: I finished my A Levels in 2016, where I achieved the grades BCC. The two C grades were in chemistry and biology, under WJEC. I'm now looking to resit the two sciences, which I will have to do under the new specification, which I presume I would just enter for all the exams and sort out the practical modules as a private candidate which is fine.

My question is, I would also like to sit AS Level Mathematics (I studied most of year 12 for it but didn't take the exams because of health reasons) but would not like to complete the full A Level as the amount of self teaching would be too intense with my other commitments. Is this still possible? Can I still obtain an AS-Level or are they removed with the new reform?

Preferably I'd like to sit it under WJEC as that's what I'm used to, but any exam board is fine.

Thanks!

All of the A level examiners are offering all of the old specification modular exams this summer. However you have missed the normal exam entry deadline and so may find it harder to find a centre to take them and will definitely face much higher fees. Sort it out soon as the longer you wait the harder and more expensive it will become.

WJEC exam reforms for qualifications offered in Wales are very different from the reforms implemented for their EDUQAS brand offering exams in England. You need to do some careful research on your science A levels, in particular the nature, availability and cost of the practical assessments.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
All of the A level examiners are offering all of the old specification modular exams this summer. However you have missed the normal exam entry deadline and so may find it harder to find a centre to take them and will definitely face much higher fees. Sort it out soon as the longer you wait the harder and more expensive it will become.

WJEC exam reforms for qualifications offered in Wales are very different from the reforms implemented for their EDUQAS brand offering exams in England. You need to do some careful research on your science A levels, in particular the nature, availability and cost of the practical assessments.

Thanks for the reply!

I wasnt looking to resit this year, but next year as I would be way too under prepared as it is right now. I know I'd need to arrange all the entry costs etc myself, I was just wondering about how I'd go about the whole AS/A Level difference as my experience was in the old system
Original post by Zaeliar
Thanks for the reply!

I wasnt looking to resit this year, but next year as I would be way too under prepared as it is right now. I know I'd need to arrange all the entry costs etc myself, I was just wondering about how I'd go about the whole AS/A Level difference as my experience was in the old system

Ah, ok. If you are taking it next year then you would have to do new specification maths. If you are taking it in Wales then you can do the new WJEC specification AS that still contributes towards a full a level if you choose to do the A2 exams later. If you are in England then you'd need to choose a new examiner for AS maths as WJEC will not offer maths in England.
Original post by Zaeliar

Thanks!

I believe you can still sit an AS in maths even with the new linear alevels however if you ever wanted to take the full A-Level the AS wouldn't count towards the ALevel grade... (I took an AS in geography last year that had already changed to linear)
I'm not sure about exam boards though... :smile:)
Reply 7
Original post by Zaeliar

Thanks!

Yes. It is possible to do the new A level. Maths AS is possible under the new spec as far as I know. You need to find out where you can do the practicals if you want the award.
Reply 8
Original post by U-GradeStudent
I believe you can still sit an AS in maths even with the new linear alevels however if you ever wanted to take the full A-Level the AS wouldn't count towards the ALevel grade... (I took an AS in geography last year that had already changed to linear)
I'm not sure about exam boards though... :smile:)

Just to make sure I understand, does this mean you don't have to do the AS Level exams to gain an A Level anymore? So if I want to redo A Level bio + chem, I just do what is under the A Level part and ignore AS?
Original post by Zaeliar
Just to make sure I understand, does this mean you don't have to do the AS Level exams to gain an A Level anymore? So if I want to redo A Level bio + chem, I just do what is under the A Level part and ignore AS?

Correct, you do not need sit AS exams anymore. The AS content is instead examined at the end of the second year in the ALevel exams; you would need to learn both AS and ALevel for the exams :smile:

E.g. In AQA Physics which is now linear, no AS exams are taken. Instead there are 3 ALevel papers which include both content learned from the 'first' and 'second' year..

Hope that kind of helped :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by U-GradeStudent
Correct, you do not need sit AS exams anymore. The AS content is instead examined at the end of the second year in the ALevel exams; you would need to learn both AS and ALevel for the exams :smile:

E.g. In AQA Physics which is now linear, no AS exams are taken. Instead there are 3 ALevel papers which include both content learned from the 'first' and 'second' year..

Hope that kind of helped :smile:

Thank you so much! I much preferred the old system to be honest, but what can you do eh :smile:
Original post by Zaeliar

You haven't clarified whether you are doing exams in Wales or in England.
The answer to your question is different in each case.
WJEC exams in Wales still comprise separate AS and A2 exams and you sit both for the full A level. A levels in England are linear, you have to learn the whole two years of content but only sit the full A level exams.
Reply 12
Original post by gdunne42
You haven't clarified whether you are doing exams in Wales or in England.
The answer to your question is different in each case.
WJEC exams in Wales still comprise separate AS and A2 exams and you sit both for the full A level. A levels in England are linear, you have to learn the whole two years of content but only sit the full A level exams.

My bad! I'm currently at uni in England, so would probably have to sit them in England
Original post by Zaeliar
Thank you so much! I much preferred the old system to be honest, but what can you do eh :smile:

Same, im so glad that 2/3 of my Alevels are the old system still! the linear alevels are crazy!! Haha!
Glad I could kinda help :smile:
Original post by G.Y
I know that for AQA maths this is the last year you can sit the exams by module so for AS that would be C1, C2 and either S1 or M1.
After this year, there are no more resits for the old spec so AS exams don't count as a qualification and you have to do the full A-level.

Even though Maths for new starters is now linear (and the C1, C2 etc modules don't exist) you can still choose to do just AS or the full A level. This is true for all boards.
Reply 15
Original post by Compost
Even though Maths for new starters is now linear (and the C1, C2 etc modules don't exist) you can still choose to do just AS or the full A level. This is true for all boards.

Yes but does the AS as a qualification still exist? Do you still get a certificate?
For example, if I had dropped physics after AS I wouldn't receive a certificate or a qualification even though I did the exams.
Original post by G.Y
Yes but does the AS as a qualification still exist? Do you still get a certificate?
For example, if I had dropped physics after AS I wouldn't receive a certificate or a qualification even though I did the exams.

Just as before, if you pass the AS exams then you get a certificate. The change is that you no longer need to take AS exams in order to complete the A level so many schools don't enter students for them.
Reply 17
Original post by Compost
Just as before, if you pass the AS exams then you get a certificate. The change is that you no longer need to take AS exams in order to complete the A level so many schools don't enter students for them.

Oh okay, my bad then.

Quick Reply

Latest