The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

What are my chances to get into the University of Edinburgh as a EU student?

Hi!

I'm a French Year 13 student, I'm predicted 20/20 in various English courses for my Baccalauréat and I'll send my UCAS application soon, for an English Language degree. I just wanted to know what my chances were to get into the University of Edinburgh as a EU student. Am I more likely to be accepted because I'm not from the UK? And do they give unconditionnal offers to EU students rather than conditionnal ones because our results are later than the A-Level ones?

P.S. I'm applying for an English Language course at Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Dundee as well :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juliette Tae
Hi!

I'm a French Year 13 student, I'm predicted 20/20 in various English courses for my Baccalauréat and I'll send my UCAS application soon, for an English Language degree. I just wanted to know what my chances were to get into the University of Edinburgh as a EU student. Am I more likely to be accepted because I'm not from the UK? And do they give unconditionnal offers to EU students rather than conditionnal ones because our results are later than the A-Level ones?

P.S. I'm applying for an English Language course at Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Dundee as well :wink:

To be completely honest, Edinburgh is hard to get into regardless of who you are. They have one of the lowest offer rates in the country (something like 48% iirc) even for Scottish students; I don't think it makes a lot of difference if you're from the EU in that regard. In a few universities you're actually LESS likely to get an offer because you're not from the UK, since you're competing for a place with the locals. I don't know if Edinburgh is like that.

They don't give unconditionals because you're not from the UK. Likely, you'll be given a conditional offer based on your home country's standards, and accepted once your results are sent by your school.

The hard part about Edinburgh isn't meeting their offer, it's getting one in the first place.

Edit: St Andrews is around 52% iirc, so not much better. You have better odds of getting an offer from Aberdeen, Dundee and possibly Glasgow, so I hope you like them just as much as Edinburgh?
(edited 6 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Edinburgh is my heart choice but I would love to get into St Andrews or Glasgow as well as they still have a great ranking! Stirling and Dundee are other choices so if I get into one of those two, I won't be disappointed. It's up to me and my work after all! :wink: Thanks for your help though
Hi!

The Scottish Government places a cap on the number of Scottish/EU students Scottish universities can admit because they pay your fees for you.

Chances are it's probably more difficult to get an offer compared to your English counterparts.
Reply 4
Edinburgh publish their admission stats here

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics

For English Language offer rate was 27% in 2016 for Scottish/EU (last year there are stats for) but 78% for rest of UK.
It's very much harder for Scottish/EU students to get an offer because of the cap on places.
Edinburgh is my heart choice but I would love to get into St Andrews or Glasgow as well as they still have a great ranking! Stirling and Dundee are other choices so if I get into one of those two, I won't be disappointed. It's up to me and my work after all! :wink: Thanks for your help though

I applied for Edinburgh and Aberdeen this year too, so I know how you feel :tongue: Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with aspiring - your chance goes down to 0% if you don't after all! Bonne chance! :yep:
Reply 6
Yeah definitely! Merci! :wink:
Hi!

Meh, you'll get in.

People have gotten into Oxbridge and LSE with worse grades than yours for uber competitive courses.
Reply 8
I got in!!
I got in!!

Many congratulations! :party:
Reply 10
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Meh, you'll get in.

People have gotten into Oxbridge and LSE with worse grades than yours for uber competitive courses.

And rejected from Scottish universities, especially as an EU applicant.

I got in!!

That's brilliant :smile:

:woo:
Original post by Doonesbury
And rejected from Scottish universities, especially as an EU applicant.

That's brilliant :smile:

:woo:

Bit ironic to mention the potential rejection when she got an offer, Doones? :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Bit ironic to mention the potential rejection when she got an offer, Doones? :wink:

Nope, it shows how much of an achievement it is. :tongue:
Reply 13
Nope, it shows how much of an achievement it is. :tongue:

Haha I didn't take it badly don't worry, I could easily handle my rejection from St Andrews :wink: I have many friends (eu as well) who were rejected so I'm over the moon
Reply 14
Haha I didn't take it badly don't worry, I could easily handle my rejection from St Andrews :wink: I have many friends (eu as well) who were rejected so I'm over the moon

I know some Cambridge offer holders with StA rejections (and they weren't even EU or Scottish applicants). It's a badge of honour :smile:
Reply 15
I know some Cambridge offer holders with StA rejections (and they weren't even EU or Scottish applicants). It's a badge of honour :smile:

thats right!
thats right!

I know of an EU Oxford student also rejected from StA (for Physics I think)

Well done on your offer! If the stats from last year are similar, you're one of the 27% of Scottish and EU fee-status applicants that got a place for English Language :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by thewrongofsummer
I know of an EU Oxford student also rejected from StA (for Physics I think)

Well done on your offer! If the stats from last year are similar, you're one of the 27% of Scottish and EU fee-status applicants that got a place for English Language :smile:

The more interesting stat would be the relative offer success rates between EU vs Scots :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The more interesting stat would be the relative offer success rates between EU vs Scots :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! Unfortunately they don't provide that breakdown, but I believe the student population is roughly 11% EU and 33% Scots so that gives you a relative idea.

Well done OP
thats right!

Salut, tu as quoi comme “predicted grade” pour le bac?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending