The Student Room Group

Durham General Engineering or Leeds Mechancial

I’ve been torn between these 2 courses for a few months now and would appreciate any advice.

Essentially the problem being I prefer the general aspect of the course at Durham since I am not 100% certain I want to go into mechanical Engineering. I also like the fact that Durham is seen as slightly more prestigious than Leeds (I am aware Leeds was 1st in league table for Mech Eng last year but even so as a general I feel Durham sounds slightly better). However the fact that Durham doesn’t offer a year in industry is putting me off. After reading several articles online saying how it is almost ‘impossible’ to get a job without experience I feel that competing against graduates with a placement year is already putting me at a huge disadvantage. I do like the course at Leeds as it is still slightly general for the first 2 years but no way near as general as the Durham course.

Both unis have given me A*AA offers which makes it even more difficult since I’m comparing them directly against each other and one is better for one thing and one for another, would appreciate any opinions, thank you
Original post by username3209782
I’ve been torn between these 2 courses for a few months now and would appreciate any advice.

Essentially the problem being I prefer the general aspect of the course at Durham since I am not 100% certain I want to go into mechanical Engineering. I also like the fact that Durham is seen as slightly more prestigious than Leeds (I am aware Leeds was 1st in league table for Mech Eng last year but even so as a general I feel Durham sounds slightly better). However the fact that Durham doesn’t offer a year in industry is putting me off. After reading several articles online saying how it is almost ‘impossible’ to get a job without experience I feel that competing against graduates with a placement year is already putting me at a huge disadvantage. I do like the course at Leeds as it is still slightly general for the first 2 years but no way near as general as the Durham course.

Both unis have given me A*AA offers which makes it even more difficult since I’m comparing them directly against each other and one is better for one thing and one for another, would appreciate any opinions, thank you

I`m in the exact same situation. Although I think Durham is the better bet. Do bare in mind you can actually apply for a year in industry at Durham. You will take a year out of your degree to complete such. It is still possible at Durham and many do it. However, Leeds main reason for being so popular for its Engineering courses is that the department has amazing connections to industry. From Red Bull to Mclaren, they really are top notch. Again however it all depends if mech is what you want. If youre not sure like me I would pick Durham. Prestige wish if thats bothering you , Durham is a top UK uni much higher than Leeds in every topic. Back in the day it used to be Cambridge, Oxford and Durham being the main universities of the UK. Times have changed yet Durham is still a very high class University.
Reply 2
Original post by username3209782

Have you decided on what you'd like?
Original post by I'msoPi
Have you decided on what you'd like?

Okay so on reflection of my advice I would resend it to say go and check them both out. Decide which one you like the most from there! Durham was a lot different to Leeds and now I'm thinking leeds
Reply 4
Original post by allofthestars
Okay so on reflection of my advice I would resend it to say go and check them both out. Decide which one you like the most from there! Durham was a lot different to Leeds and now I'm thinking leeds

Aha it's good to hear that visiting helped in the decision making process. I think league table differences and in terms of quality are really minute, so go where it feels right :smile: Only issue I have i'm stricken with prestige but I just need to get over myself haha as long as I get a 1st it'll be okay.

I'll be most likely be choosing Leeds as opposed to Bath I think
Original post by I'msoPi
Aha it's good to hear that visiting helped in the decision making process. I think league table differences and in terms of quality are really minute, so go where it feels right :smile: Only issue I have i'm stricken with prestige but I just need to get over myself haha as long as I get a 1st it'll be okay.

I'll be most likely be choosing Leeds as opposed to Bath I think

I am like yourself strongly swayed by league tables. I really thought Durham was the place to be because of it but when I actually went. It really wasn't for me. Also the Leeds engineering departments are seriously top quality. I went to imperial and can compare their facilities are very close in comparison. What has so far got me is the lecturers. They were so friendly and professional but also had a charisma whilst at Durham is was more about the academics etc.
I am like yourself strongly swayed by league tables. I really thought Durham was the place to be because of it but when I actually went. It really wasn't for me. Also the Leeds engineering departments are seriously top quality. I went to imperial and can compare their facilities are very close in comparison. What has so far got me is the lecturers. They were so friendly and professional but also had a charisma whilst at Durham is was more about the academics etc.

Also what gives Leeds it's edge is it's amazing careers service that sets it apart from the rest. They really know the industry, not academic heavy like Durham but real world knowledge which in this day and age is what you really need.
Reply 7

That puts my mind at ease to hear their facilities are of high quality. I wasn't able to view a great portion of the university or city when I visited.
One lecturer I spoke to on an applicant day was very enthusiastic and engaging. I believe he teaches thermofluids, so i'm quite excited to have such a good teacher. Durham is lovely but it comes down to preference and where you feel you can fit in.

As a side note - there is a Leeds Facebook groupchat if you're interested, i'll leave a link and you can choose to join or not :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/253402411857012/
Where did you end up going? As I'm in the exact same situation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending