The Student Room Group

Ahmadiyya question [discussion moved]

My friend told me today that she was an ahmadiyya. Her mum was a sunni but she converted to ahmadiyya and her dad was a born one. She told me something about how her dad said she can only marry someone they choose for her and they have to be from that sector (ahmadiyya). However, the problem is she told me that she doesnt want to do that because she herself only is not that strict of a muslim so she knows marrying someone from that sector she will be restricted and the lifestyle will be different.

So she decided that she would rather not get married at all? I dont know what to advice her. She said she can only marry a converted ahmadiyya if they been converted for 3yrs+ (apparently thats their rule)? I dont know if she likes arranged marriage?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by FemaleBo55
My friend told me today that she was an ahmadiyya. Her mum was a sunni but she converted to ahmadiyya and her dad was a born one. She told me something about how her dad said she can only marry someone they choose for her and they have to be from that sector (ahmadiyya). However, the problem is she told me that she doesnt want to do that because she herself only is not that strict of a muslim so she knows marrying someone from that sector she will be restricted and the lifestyle will be different.

So she decided that she would rather not get married at all? I dont know what to advice her. She said she can only marry a converted ahmadiyya if they been converted for 3yrs+ (apparently thats their rule)? I dont know if she likes arranged marriage?

Assalaamu alaykum

I wish I could give you advice on this but I’m not sure myself. I would suggest her to ask someone more knowledgeable insha’Allah. Is she an ahmadiyyah herself? She should do her research insha’Allah and see what Islam is first.

It is advised she looks into orthodox Islam as understood by those who first believed in and propagated it. Whether she is religious or not, we will all be raised on the Day of Judgement and judged by our deeds and beliefs; using "I didn't know (what was correct)" will not be a valid excuse for shortcomings if one had the capacity and opportunity to reflect and learn.

This said, her parents are arguably not Muslim (as per mainstream belief) or at the very least astray and therefore they have no right in deciding who she marries.
Reply 3
Original post by Zamestaneh
It is advised she looks into orthodox Islam as understood by those who first believed in and propagated it. Whether she is religious or not, we will all be raised on the Day of Judgement and judged by our deeds and beliefs; using "I didn't know (what was correct)" will not be a valid excuse for shortcomings if one had the capacity and opportunity to reflect and learn.

This said, her parents are arguably not Muslim (as per mainstream belief) or at the very least astray and therefore they have no right in deciding who she marries.

Original post by h333
Assalaamu alaykum

I wish I could give you advice on this but I’m not sure myself. I would suggest her to ask someone more knowledgeable insha’Allah. Is she an ahmadiyyah herself? She should do her research insha’Allah and see what Islam is first.

They are muslims, her mum wears a hijab and both parents are on their deen and so is her whole family even extended. She herself is religious (well shes trying strengthen her beliefs). For her it doesnt matter what type of muslim they are but she did all her research to confirm and apparently its the part of the rule that it is prohibited for an ahmadiyya woman to marry a non ahmaddiyya manScreen Shot 2018-03-24 at 15.28.08.png (she told me to read the last paragraph)

She told me because of this reason she doesnt want to get married at all because she can see herself not get along with a guy they choose.
They are muslims, her mum wears a hijab and both parents are on their deen and so is her whole family even extended. She herself is religious (well shes trying strengthen her beliefs). For her it doesnt matter what type of muslim they are but she did all her research to confirm and apparently its the part of the rule that it is prohibited for an ahmadiyya woman to marry a non ahmaddiyya manScreen Shot 2018-03-24 at 15.28.08.png (she told me to read the last paragraph)

She told me because of this reason she doesnt want to get married at all because she can see herself not get along with a guy they choose.

We get told off by CT for talking about Ahmadiyyah negatively in this in this thread, but for the sake of clarifying my advice I do have to speak frankly, and this is not religious hatred but just a statement of fact:

If they say they are Ahmadiyyah, then the majority of Muslims presume them to be non-Muslim - even if they fast like us, pray like us, dress like us, speak like us - the consensus of the scholars representing over 99% of Muslims agree on this; only Ahmadiyyah believe they are Muslims. The Muslim scholars reject them due to them believing in another prophet after Muhammad (SAW), and they go against consensus in many things.

So what I am trying to say is that if she claims she is Muslim without believing in Ahmadi beliefs, then her parents have no rights over who she marries, nor are Ahmadi laws applicable to her. If instead she herself claims she is Ahmadi, then it doesn't matter what the rules are for her because she will not be viewed as Muslim by consensus these scholars. For other Muslim men considering it, marriage to her will be prohibited and invalid.

Note to CT: This is a genuine response to a question, it is not a debate, and it is not religious hatred - she has asked for advice and a religious ruling, and I have worded it in a way to respect the rules of the thread and forum.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
We get told off by CT for saying this bluntly, but for the sake of clarifying my advice:

If they say they are Ahmadiyyah, then we presume them to be non-Muslim - even if they fast like us, pray like us, dress like us, speak like us - the consensus of scholars representing over 99% of Muslims agree on this; only Ahmadiyyah believe they are Muslims. The Muslims reject them due to them believing in another prophet after Muhammad (SAW), and they go against consensus in many things.

So what I am trying to say is that if she claims she is Muslim without believing in Ahmadi beliefs, then her parents have no rights over who she marries, nor are Ahmadi laws applicable to her. If instead she herself claims she is Ahmadi, then it doesn't matter what the rules are for her because she will not be viewed as Muslim by consensus. For other Muslim men considering it, marriage to her will be prohibited and invalid.

Ahmadiyyah is not recognised as a true sect in Islam, scholars are against this group too. From that, one is then aware that they are not permitted to grant his daughter in marriage and they are disbelievers.(Apostates). This is confirmed in Surah Baqarah Ayah 2:21. One scholar states in his tafseer that do not marry a Mushrik men or women if they still believe in shirk. Surah Maidah confirms this too, Ayah 5:5.

It is recommended that one must explain the relationship to their friend so that Haraam is prevented in such matters. Arranged marriages in such matters would be a better option, however for this sister, there’s an issue considering that her parents can easily get her married to an Ahmadiyyah. Therefore, the sister should explain to such parents that they are faltering upon such matters and this can then be resolved Insha’Allah.

Allah knows best.

@FemaleBo55 sorry was meant to quote you not Zam.
(edited 6 years ago)
We get told off by CT for saying this bluntly, but for the sake of clarifying my advice:

If they say they are Ahmadiyyah, then we presume them to be non-Muslim - even if they fast like us, pray like us, dress like us, speak like us - the consensus of scholars representing over 99% of Muslims agree on this; only Ahmadiyyah believe they are Muslims. The Muslims reject them due to them believing in another prophet after Muhammad (SAW), and they go against consensus in many things.

So what I am trying to say is that if she claims she is Muslim without believing in Ahmadi beliefs, then her parents have no rights over who she marries, nor are Ahmadi laws applicable to her. If instead she herself claims she is Ahmadi, then it doesn't matter what the rules are for her because she will not be viewed as Muslim by consensus. For other Muslim men considering it, marriage to her will be prohibited and invalid.

Original post by h333
As Ahmadiyyah is not recognised as a true sect in Islam scholars are against this group too. From that, one is then aware that they are not permitted to grant his daughter in marriage and they are disbelievers.(Apostates). This is confirmed in Surah Baqarah Ayah 2:21. One scholar states in his tafseer that do not marry a Mushrik men or a women if they still believe in shirk. Surah Maidah confirms this too, Ayah 5:5.

It is recommended that one must explain the relationship to their friend so that Haraam is prevented in such matters. Arranged marriages in such matters would be a better option, however for this sister, there’s an issue considering that her parents can easily get her married to an Ahmadiyyah. Therefore, the sister should explain to such parents that they are faltering upon such matters and this can then be resolved InshaAllah.

The opinions of Salafi scholars you follow does not represent even a majority of Muslims let alone "99%". Please do not presume to speak for us when making takfeer on other Muslims.
Reply 7

Assalaamu alaykum

Firstly, it always makes sense to know why you align with a particular group. From this it follows that your friend should read up more on Islam and the things that male her sect different from the majority (jama'ah). Does she agree with the beliefs preached by the ahmadiyyah? Does she even know how they differ?

Secondly, Islam encourages that we go through life with a family and that we fulfil our needs in a halal manner. To not get married is a big decision to take, especially if she intends to live as a practicing Muslim, away from fahshaa.

Thirdly, she is correct in thinking that they only allow marriage within their sect. Given that they only came about within the last 150 years and their beliefs were rejected by the Ummah, that doesn't leave much options.

In summary, I'd suggest that:

a) she needs to know why she is ahmadi and what makes them different to the Muslims
b) she needs to consider whether she does actually agree with these differences
c) she needs to consider the choice of not marrying more carefully
Reply 8
Original post by Saif al-Koan
The opinions of Salafi scholars you follow does not represent even a majority of Muslims let alone "99%". Please do not presume to speak for us when making takfeer on other Muslims.

I don't ascribe to the term "Salafi", but agree that ahmadiyyah are outside of Islam. Perhaps you are not aware that the ahmadi greats consider 'other Muslims' (who don't believe in their "Prophet/Messiah") as kuffaar.
(edited 6 years ago)

This isn't a salafi thing. For example, the ahmadiyya group is declared non-Muslim by Muslim scholars throughout the Indian subcontinent and most Indian subcontinent Muslims scholars are definitely not salafi.
(edited 6 years ago)

Hanafi:
http://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/80991

Salafi/Hanbali:
https://islamqa.info/en/45525

Shia:
http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/44327-ahmadiyaa-islam/
(Some Fatwas are referred to in the thread as well as the general views of the lay Shia)

List of Fatwas from around the world (not exhaustive):
http://www.irshad.org/exposed/fatwas.php

And so on...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending