The Student Room Group

Would Vegan Effect Bulking?

Someone recommended that I should try out a vegan diet as a challenge. Anyone have any experience? The problem is that I want to bulk so i'm not sure how that will make a difference?
Reply 1
I've been vegan since about 2012, I was vegan for nutrition purposes for years before that. In that time I've went from skinny teenager mode to stocky to more athletic looking.

Being vegan and bulking isn't hard. Getting used to a vegan diet can be because people often struggle to know what to do for meals, there's a learning curve you often need to get over. It's not any harder to get your calories in and it's not hard to eat enough protein, it's just different and difference can take getting used to.
Theoretically no, if you do it right it shouldn't cause any problems.

In practice however, most people will struggle, at least at the beginning, to hit all the major nutrient groups. Lots of vegans end up in the hospital needing vitamin B12 shots or end up having to eat meat because their body is falling apart...
Reply 3
Original post by FlyingRabbit
Lots of vegans end up in the hospital needing vitamin B12 shots or end up having to eat meat because their body is falling apart...

:lol: yeah hospitals are full of vegans needing B12 injections
lots of chunky vegan girls running around nowadays, diets consist of sandwiches (vegan) and vegan smoothies and vegan pasta and alot of vegan pizza...

most vegan diets incorporate tons of complex and empty carbs perfect for bulking.
Reply 6
Reply 7
Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis, boxer with world titles David Haye, olympic weight lifter Kendrick Farris are a few examples of bulky vegans. Totally possible, once you figure out what to eat!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/elite-athletes-who-are-vegan-and-what-made-them-switch-their-diet-2017-10
Yeh, maybe it's just a step too far. Someone was telling me about the dangers of meat (It was a Netflix documentary) but it just seemed to be extremely biased so I think i'll do some more research around it.
Original post by BKS
Not even sure if you're trolling or just not aware that one toddler is different from lots of vegans

Are you pretending it's not a real problem or is the nutrient deficiency in your brain preventing you from thinking straight?
Original post by cat_mac
Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis, boxer with world titles David Haye, olympic weight lifter Kendrick Farris are a few examples of bulky vegans. Totally possible, once you figure out what to eat!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/elite-athletes-who-are-vegan-and-what-made-them-switch-their-diet-2017-10

Bear in mind that many celebrity vegans made their gains on a meat diet and managed to keep most of it after switching to vegan.

So it is similar to a CEO who becomes successful and then develops a cocaine.. The cocaine didn't necessarily get him there, it is just that he managed to keep his job despite the coke problem.
Dunno if this will help but my friend actually successfully reached a healthy weight after recovering from an eating disorder whilst staying vegan the whole time so I think that its definitely possible to gain weight from being vegan.
Reply 12
Are you pretending it's not a real problem or is the nutrient deficiency in your brain preventing you from thinking straight?

It's not a problem if you drink some soy milk with it added (almost all milk alternatives do) or supplement or add some nutritional yeast to a meal. It's really not hard to avoid being deficient and exactly what I meant when I said vegans have different nutritional things to think about.

(I do think you're trolling, I'm replying for the benefit of others not reading this and getting mis-information)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by TheBomber09
Yeh, maybe it's just a step too far. Someone was telling me about the dangers of meat (It was a Netflix documentary) but it just seemed to be extremely biased so I think i'll do some more research around it.

That's probably What the Health. I've not watched it because I know it's a load of ****, it's made by an idiot and the science is dodgy at best.

There's plenty of good reason to be vegan but most of them aren't to do with health. There may be a health argument for many omnivores eating more meat free, healthy meals. I think many people do become healthier when they become vegan because they stop eating much processed food but that's strictly not the same thing. We live in a world where there's vegan Ben & Jerrys in most Tescos, the idea that being vegan is healthier is silly. You can be a healthy vegan and you can be a healthy meat eater.

The main reason for being vegan is ethical, we don't need to consume animal products to live a healthy life so I find it impossible to justify doing so.
Original post by BKS
It's not a problem if you drink some soy milk with it added (almost all milk alternatives do) or supplement or add some nutritional yeast to a meal. It's really not hard to avoid being deficient and exactly what I meant when I said vegans have different nutritional things to think about.

(I do think you're trolling, I'm replying for the benefit of others not reading this and getting mis-information)

Like I said, it is possible to do it right. That is true.

It is also true that most vegans do not do it right.

(Swear to god vegan should be classified as learning disability)
(edited 6 years ago)
Bear in mind that many celebrity vegans made their gains on a meat diet and managed to keep most of it after switching to vegan.

So it is similar to a CEO who becomes successful and then develops a cocaine.. The cocaine didn't necessarily get him there, it is just that he managed to keep his job despite the coke problem.

There are also many that made their gains on the vegan diet. It’s possible to do it on both!

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19460422/rich-roll-workout-vegan-diet/

Some did it to improve their performance and were successful.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/27/jermain-defoe-england-striker-lithuania

No one is claiming the only way is veganism. Just that carnism isn’t the only way.
Reply 16
Like I said, it is possible to do it right. That is true.

It is also true that most vegans do not do it right.

(Swear to god vegan should be classified as learning disability)

Yes like you said, an Italian toddler had a bad diet therefore lots of vegans struggle :lol:
Original post by BKS
Yes like you said, an Italian toddler had a bad diet therefore lots of vegans struggle :lol:

Vegans should be required to eat real food for a week every once in a while, so they can actually think for a few days, get their lives back in order, and then go back into the hole of nutrient deficiency induced learning disability.
Reply 18
No veganism doesn't effect your 'bulking' as long as you eat correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest