The Student Room Group

A thread for students who need help with AS Chemistry

I wanted to start a thread to help people with their AS Chemistry preparation.
I have covered the syllabus from start till end, and seem to be performing pretty well on past exam papers, so if you guys want to discuss any concept/question in Physical, Inorganic or Organic Chemistry, just post your question and I will do my best to help.
which topic so far do you hate the most

i honestly hate redox reactions thus far , stupid half equations
Reply 2
Original post by Ray_Shadows
which topic so far do you hate the most

i honestly hate redox reactions thus far , stupid half equations

To be honest, I find Chemistry interesting so I don’t particularly hate any topic.
What is it about half equations that you don’t like? Treat it like a computer game in which you have 4 rules to balance any redox equation using half equations.

1. Start by balancing the atoms apart from Oxygen and Hydrogen.
2. Next, balance the Oxygens by adding H20 molecules (Note: You can ONLY use H20 to balance Oxygen atoms).
3. Then, balance the Hydrogens by adding H+ ions (Note: You can ONLY use H+ ions to balance the Hydrogen atoms).
4. Balance the charges by adding electrons (e-).

If you stick to these 4 rules, you can solve any redox equation.
Original post by mafk80
To be honest, I find Chemistry interesting so I don’t particularly hate any topic.
What is it about half equations that you don’t like? Treat it like a computer game in which you have 4 rules to balance any redox equation using half equations.

1. Start by balancing the atoms apart from Oxygen and Hydrogen.
2. Next, balance the Oxygens by adding H20 molecules (Note: You can ONLY use H20 to balance Oxygen atoms).
3. Then, balance the Hydrogens by adding H+ ions (Note: You can ONLY use H+ ions to balance the Hydrogen atoms).
4. Balance the charges by adding electrons (e-).

If you stick to these 4 rules, you can solve any redox equation.

i think i just need more work on it , but that's actually quite helpful , thank you friend :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i think i just need more work on it , but that's actually quite helpful , thank you friend :smile:

No problem and good luck :smile:

Feel free to share any questions if you want to discuss anything.

Quick Reply

Latest