The Student Room Group

Ukcat help

Guys, which is the best way to prepare for psychometric test like UKCAT or BMAT.Just to give you an idea: I am struggling with abstract reasoning part.I know that the main secret is practice, practice and practice, but however I would like to understand the main principle, how does it work because when I see the picture I can reccognise some patterns but now everything enough to give the right answer.Should i read the explanations of the every single question or I have simply memorize this 20-30 rules to spot the patterns ?.I want to do it the best guys but I don't know how and where to start from.This book: 1250 UKCAT question is good , but I would say quite difficult for beginner like me in this filed .Some other books maybe or video tutoring ?Guys, please help with advice...
Original post by plamsi
Guys, which is the best way to prepare for psychometric test like UKCAT or BMAT.Just to give you an idea: I am struggling with abstract reasoning part.I know that the main secret is practice, practice and practice, but however I would like to understand the main principle, how does it work because when I see the picture I can reccognise some patterns but now everything enough to give the right answer.Should i read the explanations of the every single question or I have simply memorize this 20-30 rules to spot the patterns ?.I want to do it the best guys but I don't know how and where to start from.This book: 1250 UKCAT question is good , but I would say quite difficult for beginner like me in this filed .Some other books maybe or video tutoring ?Guys, please help with advice...

Firstly unless you are doing it in june, i'd reccommend holding off a bit on ukcat revision and focus on exams! (Ukcat is something i think you can only revise for for so long).
I was exactly the same with Abstract reasoning, i think it's a case of practicing and writing down the patterns you didn't get, some will come up again and again, make a lisy of the common ones and memorise common (don't bother memorising things like the number of triangles is 8 times the number of squares cuz they are unlikely to come up). It's really difficult to start with so don't be too disheartened!
The book is really good, but i would reccomend medify 100%. (Online resource of questions i think it's £40 for 3 months). It's more at the level of the test than the book and there are heapa of quetiona to practice, and practice exams.
Hopw that helped let me know if you have any more questions
Reply 2
Original post by Melissa777
Firstly unless you are doing it in june, i'd reccommend holding off a bit on ukcat revision and focus on exams! (Ukcat is something i think you can only revise for for so long).
I was exactly the same with Abstract reasoning, i think it's a case of practicing and writing down the patterns you didn't get, some will come up again and again, make a lisy of the common ones and memorise common (don't bother memorising things like the number of triangles is 8 times the number of squares cuz they are unlikely to come up). It's really difficult to start with so don't be too disheartened!
The book is really good, but i would reccomend medify 100%. (Online resource of questions i think it's £40 for 3 months). It's more at the level of the test than the book and there are heapa of quetiona to practice, and practice exams.
Hopw that helped let me know if you have any more questions

melisa, thank you very much.Do they explain the questions ?
Original post by plamsi
melisa, thank you very much.Do they explain the questions ?

No problem! Yeah you mark it after doing the questions and it'll say the pattern.
Original post by plamsi

Hi! I used that 1250 questions book for the bulk of my ukcat prep. They give you a summary of all the common patters that come up, so I reckon if you can learn the main ones off by heart you'll have no problem recognising the more complex ones. As said above though, keep on getting practice questions wrong and then learning the patterns you missed. A lot of the questions I had on the day were very similar to practice ones.

As for doing practice, I would recommend the medic portal's question bank as well, as this is online so more like the real thing. Another big thing is getting used to the stupid on-screen calculator, so doing online practice will help with this.

Hope that helps!
Reply 5
Original post by westcw13
Hi! I used that 1250 questions book for the bulk of my ukcat prep. They give you a summary of all the common patters that come up, so I reckon if you can learn the main ones off by heart you'll have no problem recognising the more complex ones. As said above though, keep on getting practice questions wrong and then learning the patterns you missed. A lot of the questions I had on the day were very similar to practice ones.

As for doing practice, I would recommend the medic portal's question bank as well, as this is online so more like the real thing. Another big thing is getting used to the stupid on-screen calculator, so doing online practice will help with this.

Hope that helps!

Hi, Thanks a lot.Very useful!
The UKCAT 1250 Q's book, has some very hard abstract reasoning ones so I wouldn't worry if you're struggling to get your head round them. The ones for me in the actual exam were much easier.
It takes a while but practicing is the way to go about doing it.
Reply 7
Original post by AzureCeleste
The UKCAT 1250 Q's book, has some very hard abstract reasoning ones so I wouldn't worry if you're struggling to get your head round them. The ones for me in the actual exam were much easier.
It takes a while but practicing is the way to go about doing it.

yea, this is true.this book actually is very useful, they explain the patterns good, but at some point is also a bit boring....
Original post by plamsi
yea, this is true.this book actually is very useful, they explain the patterns good, but at some point is also a bit boring....

Yeah it can be a bit boring...depends on the person.
It seems very early to star revising for the UKCAT so that's probably not going to be helping you on the bored front. Personally I started to revise 6-8weeks before the exam(an hour here and there), and then about 2 hours a day for the week before the exam. You don't want to exhaust out the resources as if you repeat questions you'll remember them and know the answers faster
Reply 9
I used medify because it allowed me to practice the questions online and get used to the calculator. With abstract once you have done many questions you'll start to notice that there are only a few patterns but repeated in different ways
Reply 10
Original post by daisie
I used medify because it allowed me to practice the questions online and get used to the calculator. With abstract once you have done many questions you'll start to notice that there are only a few patterns but repeated in different ways

thank you so much all of you.
Medic portal - UKCAT question bank is free and amazing. That's all I used and It worked for me
Reply 12
Original post by erinlinwood11
Medic portal - UKCAT question bank is free and amazing. That's all I used and It worked for me

Do you have a link to send me please...
Reply 13
Original post by plamsi

Too early to consider UKCAT - furthermore tbh if u flunk one section - i.e. abstract u can make it up in other sections which you are better at. Also when it is closer to the time - use medify - it better than the book
Original post by plamsi
Do you have a link to send me please...
. https://www.themedicportal.com/e-learning/ukcat/ Honestly I wouldn't bother wasting money on paid courses. I just used this and got 4/4 interviews and 4/4 offers for UKCAT unis.
Medify is all you need. Other resources can be useful but Medify is the closest to represent the actual test. Use Medify a couple of weeks before your test and you should be fine.

You won't benefit much from early prep.
Reply 16
Original post by Medic Mind
UKCAT Tips

1. Work on theory first. Understand each question type, and focus on your step by step approach. For example, in VR you want to use the Keyword Approach as opposed to reading the whole passage.

2. Do lots of practice. Use the official questions and other question resources.

3. Work on timing. The exam is all about timing, so work on doing quick, timed practices.

4. Adapt to conditions. You have a stuffy room, and old fashioned computer, people around you, the UKCAT on screen calculator, a 2 hour sitting. Get used to this scenario by going to the library and doing a mock.

I'd really recommend our 100% Free Youtube Tutorials, they should help www.youtube.co.uk/medicmind

Good luck!

Dhaval N - Medic Mind Tutor

ACW Best Medical Startup 2017

https://www.medicmind.co.uk/bmat-pas...resources.html

Thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending