The Student Room Group

A Level Modern Languages - Independent Research Project..anyone else struggling?

I swear this thing is taking over my life o m g I can't wait to get it over with..
Reply 1
bump
I'm finding it very difficult too! Especially knowing what to put in the presentation to get those 5 marks. What language are you studying?
Reply 3
Original post by NeedACleverName
I'm finding it very difficult too! Especially knowing what to put in the presentation to get those 5 marks. What language are you studying?

I know I wish they'd release an exemplar just so we had an idea of what to do! :frown: I'm guessing they'll be quite lenient this year though since barely anyone has a clue what's going on..

I'm doing Spanish and French, what about you?
I completely agree! An exemplar would make it so much easier! I've scoured the entire exam website trying to find some useful information. There are a couple of useful resources on what kind of questions they could/should ask us. I'm doing AQA french. Are you doing AQA too? What are your IRPs on?

Original post by eggyeol
I know I wish they'd release an exemplar just so we had an idea of what to do! :frown: I'm guessing they'll be quite lenient this year though since barely anyone has a clue what's going on..

I'm doing Spanish and French, what about you?
Reply 5
I completely agree! An exemplar would make it so much easier! I've scoured the entire exam website trying to find some useful information. There are a couple of useful resources on what kind of questions they could/should ask us. I'm doing AQA french. Are you doing AQA too? What are your IRPs on?

;
Ooo where did you find that? I'm with Eduqas (literally the most useless exam board going, there's barely any resources :frown:)

My French one is on how English has influenced/changed the French language and then my Spanish one is on youth unemployment. What about you?
Original post by eggyeol
;
Ooo where did you find that? I'm with Eduqas (literally the most useless exam board going, there's barely any resources :frown:)

My French one is on how English has influenced/changed the French language and then my Spanish one is on youth unemployment. What about you?

Mine is on whether Yves Saint Laurent's contribution to fashion is long lasting. I can't remember exactly where I found it (somewhere on the AQA website) but this is what it said:

Your role will be that of an intelligent layperson, trying to get the candidate to

describe, explain, analyse, evaluate and express ideas and opinions. You will

need to try to put the candidate at their ease, give them scope to explain the

findings of their research, whilst intervening during the discussion if candidates

start to give prepared speeches. Only by challenging the candidates to clarify and

further explain information and views will you allow candidates to achieve the

highest marks.

It is best to use open-ended questions such as:

When you say…, what exactly do you mean?

But some people believe what do you think of that?

How do you react to that?

Do you think that is really true?

How do you feel about that?

What about..…, for example?

What if I said that…?

Questions which would elicit more information and views might include:

Why did you choose this topic?

Tell me more about…?

What was the most interesting thing you discovered in your research?

Where did you find your information?
Reply 7
Mine is on whether Yves Saint Laurent's contribution to fashion is long lasting. I can't remember exactly where I found it (somewhere on the AQA website) but this is what it said:

Your role will be that of an intelligent layperson, trying to get the candidate to

describe, explain, analyse, evaluate and express ideas and opinions. You will

need to try to put the candidate at their ease, give them scope to explain the

findings of their research, whilst intervening during the discussion if candidates

start to give prepared speeches. Only by challenging the candidates to clarify and

further explain information and views will you allow candidates to achieve the

highest marks.

It is best to use open-ended questions such as:

When you say…, what exactly do you mean?

But some people believe what do you think of that?

How do you react to that?

Do you think that is really true?

How do you feel about that?

What about..…, for example?

What if I said that…?

Questions which would elicit more information and views might include:

Why did you choose this topic?

Tell me more about…?

What was the most interesting thing you discovered in your research?

Where did you find your information?

Oh wow ok so it's harder than I thought..... :/ Thanks for finding that though :smile:

Where are you up to with yours? I feel like I need to start focusing on the questions they could ask me now.
Hi there!

I'm doing AQA French as well and my presentation is on the political engagement of young people in France!
I spent ages researching but there are a few thing I found on the website which confused me.

Firstly it said no notes allowed, so I'm assuming I'll have to remember my facts and scrap the small powerpoint I made! Also it says that any any supplementary sources used (other than the two main ones) must be less than 80 words! All of my sources are news articles etc, so they're all more than 80 words???

I love French but can't wait to get this out of the way!!!
Original post by eggyeol
Oh wow ok so it's harder than I thought..... :/ Thanks for finding that though :smile:

Where are you up to with yours? I feel like I need to start focusing on the questions they could ask me now.

I've finally finished my 2 minute presentation so now I'm focusing on revising things that they could ask me and practising speaking on my topic. I would advise you to make a list of possible questions they could ask you, adding to it as you go along and practise and develop your answers. I've done this for several of the other topics we do for AQA such as la famille, cybersociete etc. If you're interested in it the link is https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5268072
Original post by eggyeol
I swear this thing is taking over my life o m g I can't wait to get it over with..

Hi! I'm an AS French student. Is this presentation part of a controlled assessment, if so what percent of the final A-level grade does this presentation depend on? Good luck with it!
Reply 11
Original post by Pamplemousse19
Hi! I'm an AS French student. Is this presentation part of a controlled assessment, if so what percent of the final A-level grade does this presentation depend on? Good luck with it!

It's part of the oral exam. It might depend on the exam board but with Eduqas it's worth 30%

Thank you :smile:
Original post by JeSuisBaguette
Hi there!

I'm doing AQA French as well and my presentation is on the political engagement of young people in France!
I spent ages researching but there are a few thing I found on the website which confused me.

Firstly it said no notes allowed, so I'm assuming I'll have to remember my facts and scrap the small powerpoint I made! Also it says that any any supplementary sources used (other than the two main ones) must be less than 80 words! All of my sources are news articles etc, so they're all more than 80 words???

I love French but can't wait to get this out of the way!!!

Yes unfortunately the only thing we are allowed in the exam is our candidate record sheet which says our headings and sources and our titles. So no notes or power points 😢 but those will be useful to revise from!As for your questions about sources and headings where it says 8 sources and/or headings I would suggest putting some headings not just sources. So maybe 4 headings and then a couple of sources. From the sources all you put on the candidate sheet is the link and the title of the source (aka the news article heading).Hope this is helpful and i completely agree! The IRP is a very stressful section of the french A level and not having the necessary information on what to do sucks the joy out of it a bit!
Just wondering if anyone knows anything regarding filling out the declaration form? Not sure how to write out the sources! Also can we write the title of our project in French or must it be in English?

Quick Reply

Latest