The Student Room Group

"No more or we vote you out." U.S. gun control rallies

Hundreds of thousands of young people from all over the U.S. and across the world have staged the biggest peaceful demonstration for decades.

It's aim is to break successive U.S. governments impotent and moribund inaction on appallingly negligent gun control laws and the organisation (NRA) that supports, promotes, lobbies and bribes Senators to do nothing.

Countless numbers of U.S. children and hundreds of thousands of citizens pay for that incompetence with the senseless loss of their lives.

The American Constitution starts with the words "We The People".

Today's children, in few short years, will be tomorrows tax payers and voters. Presidents, Senate and Congress ignore this call at your peril.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns/no-more-or-we-vote-you-out-students-lead-huge-u-s-anti-gun-rallies-idUSKBN1H00BI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43531391

Scroll to see replies

It feels great to see young people rallying up against conservatism.
After so many years of these tragedies almost becoming normalcy, on the verge of becoming "just one of those things", of outrage and public scrutiny dying off after a couple of weeks, this genuinely feels like a turning point.
Reply 3
Original post by mattchaamp

Could not agree more. The issue is whether the Trump administration or any other is prepared to run the risk of losing the next election by alienating the pro gun voters.

It's likely to open a polarising chasm where the next election could be won or lost on the vote swings based on this issue alone.

Eh?

It’s about gun control not right/left politics.

Personally I don’t see an issue with the banning of semi auto weapons and increasing the severity of background checks.

Past that I think efforts are futile
(edited 6 years ago)
Banning guns is like banning abortion. If you can't get one legally you'll buy one from the shady guy lurking in the grimy backstreets of the run down areas of town.
Original post by paul514
Eh?

Personally I don’t see an issue with the banning of semi auto weapons and increasing the severity of background checks.

In America it is about right/left politics. These marches are getting people to register to vote so they can vote out Republicans.
In the US the vast majority of gun homicides are carried out by Blacks and Hispanics, the two demographics that vote disproportionately for Democrats.
Original post by Just my opinion
In the US the vast majority of gun homicides are carried out by Blacks and Hispanics, the two demographics that vote disproportionately for Democrats.

And the vast majority of crimes are committed with guns that aren’t legally possessed but hey, who cares about statistics when there are feelings involved.

In America it is about right/left politics. These marches are getting people to register to vote so they can vote out Republicans.

Remind me how high up on Crooked Hillary’s manifesto the banning of semi automatic weapons was

Original post by paul514
Eh?

1. How exactly should background checks be changed? What doesn’t currently appear in background checks that should?
2. Why ban semi automatics? Semi automatic weapons are legal in lots of countries yet school shootings seem to be rather uniquely American. Surely that tells you the problem is bigger than access to weapons?
Original post by paul514

Gun control is very much apposed by the Republicans in american politics. It has beocome a left vs right thing. Very few americans support gun rights becuase they want to arm the proletariat.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Could not agree more. The issue is whether the Trump administration or any other is prepared to run the risk of losing the next election by alienating the pro gun voters.

It's likely to open a polarising chasm where the next election could be won or lost on the vote swings based on this issue alone.

This is the best case scenario. The republicans cannot afford to alienate thier base which leads them to adopt positions that cause them to loose the next election. Hopefully the democrats can get thier arse into gear and stop putting melty centrists forward as thier candidate so that a Democrat win actually means something substantial and transformative.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's great and everything, but will make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

In a month or so, maybe longer there will be yet another atrocity involving guns. Wash, rinse and repeat...

The way the British media covers this subject is partial, shallow and ridiculous, and that is why so few on here understand how deeply ingrained the right to bear arms is in the American culture and constitution, and why this campaign (like all the others before) has absolutely no chance of being successful.
Original post by Underscore__
1. How exactly should background checks be changed? What doesn’t currently appear in background checks that should?
2. Why ban semi automatics? Semi automatic weapons are legal in lots of countries yet school shootings seem to be rather uniquely American. Surely that tells you the problem is bigger than access to weapons?

Remind me where I mentioned anything but a comment on gun control. I could give a toss that trump is president.

The checks are known to be lax and you can get hold of a gun too quickly.

Secondly the reason to ban semi auto is to limit the number of casualties when a shooting happens.

There is no legitimate reason that a normal citizen needs a semi auto weapon, they could still own handguns, shot guns and rifles.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Gun control is very much apposed by the Republicans in american politics. It has beocome a left vs right thing. Very few americans support gun rights becuase they want to arm the proletariat.

I agree more people on the left than the right want tighter controls but when debating or commenting whatever you want to call it we shouldn’t be getting bogged down in stupid left/right arguments.
Original post by paul514
The checks are known to be lax and you can get hold of a gun too quickly.

That’s not an answer to my question, what needs to be added to the background check or in what way does it need to be changed specifically?

Original post by paul514
Secondly the reason to ban semi auto is to limit the number of casualties when a shooting happens.

But you can buy a semi automatic weapon in the U.K. and you don’t see school shootings on an almost weekly basis, clearly the problem goes beyond guns.

Also there are several cases of people using weapons that aren’t semi automatics still killing several people, I’d be interested to see some data that shows that semi automatic mass shootings are, on average, more deadly.

Original post by paul514
There is no legitimate reason that a normal citizen needs a semi auto weapon, they could still own handguns, shot guns and rifles.

You realise most modern handguns are semi automatic?

You’re arguing the wrong way around, you want to take peoples’ right away so the burden is on you to demonstrate there’s sufficient reason to do so. The burden isn’t on others to show why they should be entitled to keep a human right.

Original post by paul514
Remind me where I mentioned anything but a comment on gun control. I could give a toss that trump is president.

Hence why the comment about Hillary wasn’t after your quote.
Original post by paul514
I agree more people on the left than the right want tighter controls but when debating or commenting whatever you want to call it we shouldn’t be getting bogged down in stupid left/right arguments.

That's fine in academic politics land. Or meltsvile. Or if you want to keep on loosing.

I however want to win. The fact is the right in america is very much apposed to any kind of gun control and there is popular demand for gun controls to the point loads of kids are taking to the streets. You have to be pretty terrible at politics to not see this as an opputunity for the left. The left absolutely should use these protests as part of the broader left movement. It is also potentially training a load of future left wing actavists. It makes sense both descriptively (the line on gun control does devide accross left/right grounds in america) and strategically to make the a left vs right battle if you are on the left. The right knows this, hence why all the crying about making it political. The republicans would very much like to make it a none left/right issue.

Remind me how high up on Crooked Hillary’s manifesto the banning of semi automatic weapons was

"but hillary!"
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The fact is the right in america is very much apposed to any kind of gun control and there is popular demand for gun controls to the point loads of kids are taking to the streets.

Not really true. A lot of people, at least that I know, are for reasonable background checks and mental health checks, but a lot of people on the right do see the words "gun control" and immediately panic about how they're 'gonna take all our guns away' or whatever. The problem is it isn't clear what gun control actually is to either side.
Original post by Edgemaster
Not really true. A lot of people, at least that I know, are for reasonable background checks and mental health checks, but a lot of people on the right do see the words "gun control" and immediately panic about how they're 'gonna take all our guns away' or whatever. The problem is it isn't clear what gun control actually is to either side.

Err... this is how politics works :tongue:

You havr to get bother the person who wants full ban on guns and the person that wants to respect the second ammendment but still wants to make it harder for school shooters to get hold of fully automatic killing machines. The vagueness is part of the design.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending