The Student Room Group

Is it easier to transfer from UCL or LSE to Harvard/MIT?

Hey, my father is moving back to the USA in 3 years. He wants me to go with him and I don't want to say no. I have UCL and LSE economics options available for degree. So I was thinking if I go with him, I can do my MA at Harvard/MIT since he will be moving very close to Massachusetts. Do you reckon I have a better chance of getting in for an MA at Harvard/MIT if I come from LSE or UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Adnan_1998
Hey, my father is moving back to the USA in 3 years. He wants me to go with him and I don't want to say no. I have UCL and LSE economics options available for degree. So I was thinking if I go with him, I can do my MA at Harvard/MIT since he will be moving very close to Massachusetts. Do you reckon I have a better chance of getting in for an MA at Harvard/MIT if I come from LSE or UCL?

I doubt it would make any difference, but ask Harvard. They are the only ones who can answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LSE is more prestigious, so probably LSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
I doubt it would make any difference, but ask Harvard. They are the only ones who can answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do I ask them. Just phone up the admission office? Wont they say it won't matter anyway cuz they can't be biased?
Original post by Appleorpear
LSE is more prestigious, so probably LSE.

UCL doesn't accept transfers and the LSE does.
Reply 5
How do I ask them. Just phone up the admission office? Wont they say it won't matter anyway cuz they can't be biased?

No they will give you a straightforward answer, which I'm 99% sure will be it makes no difference.

To be clear, are you completing your bachelors at LSE/UCL and then applying for a masters at Harvard/MIT? That's not a transfer...
Reply 6
Original post by The Walking Dead
UCL doesn't accept transfers and the LSE does.

They are going from UK to USA, not the other way round.
Reply 7
Indeed yes.
Reply 8
No they will give you a straightforward answer, which I'm 99% sure will be it makes no difference.

To be clear, are you completing your bachelors at LSE/UCL and then applying for a masters at Harvard/MIT? That's not a transfer...

Yes sorry. I should have been clear. I meant transfer as in instead of doing MA at the same uni.
Reply 9

Okay, Ill give them a call tomorrow. Thank you. Im just hoping they regard both equally. Makes my decisions a lot easier.
Reply 10
Yes sorry. I should have been clear. I meant transfer as in instead of doing MA at the same uni.

An MA is a postgraduate course. You don't transfer into an MA, you apply when you are completing your bachelors in the UK.

The acceptance rate for MAs at Harvard and MIT is approx 10%, so you don't just walk in...
Reply 11
An MA is a postgraduate course. You don't transfer into an MA, you apply when you are completing your bachelors in the UK.

The acceptance rate for MAs at Harvard and MIT is approx 10%, so you don't just walk in...

That seems incredibly hard..10%. You've scared already haha
Reply 12
That seems incredibly hard..10%. You've scared already haha

Just being realistic. And it's probably lower for international applicants.
Reply 13
Just being realistic. And it's probably lower for international applicants.

Hmm, do you know anythings they looks for in international applicants? or again should I ask them that?
Reply 14
Hmm, do you know anythings they looks for in international applicants? or again should I ask them that?

Have you checked the fees and any assistance entitlements you have? It seems as if you've done no research on this at all.
Reply 15
I expected at least 12-14% to be perfectly honest. 10% just sounds demoralising.
Reply 16
Have you checked the fees and any assistance entitlements you have? It seems as if you've done no research on this at all.

My dad just told me about his transfer today. My 'GO TO" is the student room for simple easy responses. Ill do research asap then i guess.
Reply 17
I expected at least 12-14% to be perfectly honest. 10% just sounds demoralising.

It will vary by course, but 12% or 10% isn't the point, the point is it's not a shoe-in. You will need to be an exceptional applicant no matter if it's 20% or 5%.

Budding economists shouldn't sweat the small stuff when there's bigger issues at play...
Reply 18
My dad just told me about his transfer today. My 'GO TO" is the student room for simple easy responses. Ill do research asap then i guess.

Why do you even want to do a masters, whether it's in the US or UK? You must have been considering that already... unless you want to be an academic there's not much point.
Reply 19
Why do you even want to do a masters, whether it's in the US or UK? You must have been considering that already... unless you want to be an academic there's not much point.

Masters just look sway better when applying for a job in banking. Plus i always wanted to study in US and an MA there will give the chance since ill do undergrad here. 1 year extra for an MA seems like not long to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending