The Student Room Group

[3] Room 101 - 280 Character Count On Twitter

Poll

Should the 280 Twitter Character Count be locked into Room 101?

If you are confused as to what this is, see this post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post76536106

@Miss Maddie argues that the character count on Twitter, which is 280 characters per tweet, is her pet peeve. Would you rather this character count be longer so you can express your opinions without the constraints of a character count? Or is the concision of shorter tweets instead of longer ones what you prefer?

Now you can vote. Comment your opinions, backing them up with science, religion, facts, and whatever else, and we will see whether the 280 character count on Twitter will be locked into Room 101 forever.

EDIT: For this debate, voting 'yes' means you think the count should be made shorter or longer, and you can justify yourself below. Voting 'no' means the character count is fine as it is, or it doesn't matter.

Taglist:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The shorter the sweeter. Learn to say what you need in less.
I agree. And also, if the tweets become longer, they will become more boring and I know that I will be going tl;dr.
My case

The limit is too long. I really don't care if my bff from year 8 is going on a really cute date with her new bf and wants to post a million hashtags. I really don't care about what the opinionated loud mouth, who thinks their amazing at everything politics, has to say about May. I don't care if you are having some breakdown over Trump and Brexit and feel the need to make stupid threats about leaving the country. I don't care if you are excited to go to Reading. I don't care if you are having a throwback moment to summer. I don't care if you need to tone your bikini body and feel the need to explain everything about your fad diet. I don't care if you are having a shower, ordering Dominoes, watching Netflix etc.... I don't care what your parents have to say. I don't care if you feel really hungover and got with a **** boi last night. I don't care if you're broken hearted. I don't care what the foot ball score is. I don't care what you think about a news article from some Guardian columnist. I don't care if you have got your ears and belly button pierced. The list goes one.... JFC!

Twitter is used to microblog a person's life. Nearly the entirety of Tweets are about things no one really cares for. What percentage of followers interact with any single tweet? 1%, if that. Why? Because no one really cares. Twitter's purpose should be to inform and spread helpful/interesting information. Instead Twitter has been hijacked by teens who use it to communication every minor detail of their lives.

NO ONE CARES!
(edited 6 years ago)
Then why vote against putting the longer limit into 101?
Twitter itself should be banished into Room 101. They actively curtail freedom of speech in much the same way that TSR does.
Original post by Miss Maddie
My case

The limit is too long. I really don't care if my bff from year 8 is going on a really cute date with her new bf and wants to post a million hashtags. I really don't care about what the opinionated loud mouth, who thinks their amazing at everything politics, has to say about May. I don't care if you are having some breakdown over Trump and Brexit and feel the need to make stupid threats about leaving the country. I don't care if you are excited to go to Reading. I don't care if you are having a throwback moment to summer. I don't care if you need to tone your bikini body and feel the need to explain everything about your fad diet. I don't care if you are having a shower, ordering Dominoes, watching Netflix etc.... I don't care what your parents have to say. I don't care if you feel really hungover and got with a **** boi last night. I don't care if you're broken hearted. I don't care what the foot ball score is. I don't care what you think about a news article from some Guardian columnist. I don't care if you have got your ears and belly button pierced. The list goes one.... JFC!

Twitter is used to microblog a person's life. Nearly the entirety of Tweets are about things no one really cares for. What percentage of followers interact with any single tweet? 1%, if that. Why? Because no one really cares. Twitter's purpose should be to inform and spread helpful/interesting information. Instead Twitter has been hijacked by teens who use it to communication every minor detail of their lives.

NO ONE CARES!

And by shortening the character length, how will this help? If you do not care about a majority of the things posted on Twitter, you should either get off Twitter or unfollow many of these people. If you wish to find helpful/interesting information, find an online tabloid that will do this. Shortening the character length would not only cut the content of tweets you do not care about, but also the content of tweets that you do care about.
Then why vote against putting the longer limit into 101?

I voted no, I don't think it needs to be locked in Room 101. Have I done this wrong lol
Original post by Koalifications
And by shortening the character length, how will this help? If you do not care about a majority of the things posted on Twitter, you should either get off Twitter or unfollow many of these people. If you wish to find helpful/interesting information, find an online tabloid that will do this. Shortening the character length would not only cut the content of tweets you do not care about, but also the content of tweets that you do care about.

I am happy to have the content of worthy tweets (very few of them) reduced if it means lowering the pointless crap. The worthy tweets have a link to something and can be written in 140 characters.
No you are right, I amended the post to make this clearer.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
Twitter itself should be banished into Room 101. They actively curtail freedom of speech in much the same way that TSR does.

YES! Twitter is awful at it. So is facebook after that Britain First banning.
My case

NO ONE CARES!

You want it shorter?
Yeah, 10 words is the dream
Reply 13
I really couldn't care less about this one. No opinion either way (for once!).
Nope. I couldn’t care less.
I think it’s fine as-is :smile:
I don't use Twitter but to be honest I think it should stay the same, I like it being short because I'd rather that than long essays.
Yeah, 10 words is the dream

Damn, i actually agree with this, then again I don't use twitter
Even though I said I like it short, I think ten words is far too short - maybe put it to 15/20 and that will be better. But if ten, you will get long pages of people putting tweet after tweet, ten words after ten words.
Original post by Koalifications
Even though I said I like it short, I think ten words is far too short - maybe put it to 15/20 and that will be better. But if ten, you will get long pages of people putting tweet after tweet, ten words after ten words.

That's honestly a fair point.

Quick Reply

Latest