The Student Room Group

Best uni for nursing?

I’m going to study Nursing sept 2018 and have offers from my five choices. I am really really stuck on which uni to go for. The following places are Leeds, Glasgow Caledonian, Edinburgh Napier, Northumbria and Manchester. I really loved Manchester when I went but I come from a really small town and it was a little overwhelming and too far from home. I’m so debated about which uni to go to out of the other four though. Does anyone have any experiences or heard anything about these? I looked on league tables but they change based on the researcher dramatically.
Original post by catdb
I’m going to study Nursing sept 2018 and have offers from my five choices. I am really really stuck on which uni to go for. The following places are Leeds, Glasgow Caledonian, Edinburgh Napier, Northumbria and Manchester. I really loved Manchester when I went but I come from a really small town and it was a little overwhelming and too far from home. I’m so debated about which uni to go to out of the other four though. Does anyone have any experiences or heard anything about these? I looked on league tables but they change based on the researcher dramatically.

Have you visited the others? Leeds is as big as manchester and surely a similar distance from home?
Reply 2
Those are big cities it just depends on where you feel more comfortable. Most Unis are alright, and generally it doesn't matter. Generally.

Of all of those Unis I think Edinburgh is quite beautiful because of the town, it's old, and the Uni looks nice. Glasgow not so much, I don't like the city.

However the weather in Edinburgh and the North in general is quite depressing, the summers are cool too, and hardly ever gets into the high 20s-30s, but Idk if your bothered about the weather lol

If you want smaller town universities, then there's places like Lincoln, or Loughborough, I've watched some students at the Univeristy of Lincoln and it looks like a pleasant campus, and it's a mix of a modern and old city.
Hi @catdb,

I'm Emily, a third year Business with Marketing student at Northumbria. I'm also originally from Manchester so I completely get what you mean about the size!

I would honestly say that Newcastle as a city is half the size of Manchester, but it still has that big city feel as there are so many nice restaurants, bars and shops. I can't speak for your other three options as I haven't visited those before but if size is something that you are concerned about I would definitely recommend Newcastle.

In my first year at halls I could get to uni in 5 minutes walk and the town centre for shops in 15! If you were to be studying Nursing then you would be based at Coach Lane campus which is a little further out but even so it would be a 15/20 minute bus journey and you get this free with your student card so still not bad going :smile:.

A lot of universities now offer virtual tours on their websites, have you had a into look at these? They may be able to give you a better idea of what the University campuses are like and the city itself. If you're interested you can find ours here.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask away, I'd be happy to help :h:

Emily
I study in Scotland and it is a good place to study. One thing I’d say is think about if you’d actually like to do a 4 year course. A lot of us are suffering year 2 blues at the moment and luckily my course is 3 years cus I’m not sure I could cope knowing there’s another 2 years left after this one!!
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Have you visited the others? Leeds is as big as manchester and surely a similar distance from home?

I visited them all when I went for my interviews. Leeds is closer by about an hour to me :smile: the only problem is I just didn’t get a great feeling when I went there, but I don’t know if I’m being silly choosing with feelings.
Reply 6
Original post by Alder0
Those are big cities it just depends on where you feel more comfortable. Most Unis are alright, and generally it doesn't matter. Generally.

Of all of those Unis I think Edinburgh is quite beautiful because of the town, it's old, and the Uni looks nice. Glasgow not so much, I don't like the city.

However the weather in Edinburgh and the North in general is quite depressing, the summers are cool too, and hardly ever gets into the high 20s-30s, but Idk if your bothered about the weather lol

If you want smaller town universities, then there's places like Lincoln, or Loughborough, I've watched some students at the Univeristy of Lincoln and it looks like a pleasant campus, and it's a mix of a modern and old city.

I’ll definitely check them out if I can’t make a choice with these, but it may be difficult because nursing requires an interview. Edinburgh Napier only offers a BN degree rather than Bsc hons so for that reason I think I am going to drop it. Thank you for replying though :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Optimistic_Panda
I study in Scotland and it is a good place to study. One thing I’d say is think about if you’d actually like to do a 4 year course. A lot of us are suffering year 2 blues at the moment and luckily my course is 3 years cus I’m not sure I could cope knowing there’s another 2 years left after this one!!

That’s literally the only downside I’m seeing to Glasgow Caledonian atm. You can do a three year course but it’s 4 years for honours. Whereas in England it’s 3 years for honours. So torn!!! Thanks for replying :smile:
if you looking for a smaller city Nothumbeland would be your best choice. Leeds and Manchester are massive. Your other option would to withdraw and reapply to universities in smaller towns and cities
Another option is Extra. Bangor, Bournemouth, Chester, Cumbria, Canterbury, Derby, East Anglia, Essex, Gloucestershire, Huddersfield, Hull, Oxford Brookes, Portsmouth, Swansea, York - all smaller cites/towns advertising vacancies in Extra for adult nursing....it does seem as if OP applied for completely the wrong choices for someone worried about living in a big city.
Original post by PQ
Another option is Extra. Bangor, Bournemouth, Chester, Cumbria, Canterbury, Derby, East Anglia, Essex, Gloucestershire, Huddersfield, Hull, Oxford Brookes, Portsmouth, Swansea, York - all smaller cites/towns advertising vacancies in Extra for adult nursing....it does seem as if OP applied for completely the wrong choices for someone worried about living in a big city.

Bangor is a very small town approx 20000 population wheras Swansea, York and Hull are not much smaller than Newcastle around a quarter of a million population
Newcastle has an interesting mix of possible placement areas, pretty good night out too
Reply 12
Original post by PQ

Maybe I put too much empthasis on big city. But I’ve been to Glasgow Edinburgh and Newcastle and they all seemed kinda average to me but when I went to Leeds and Manchester for the first time I was stunned..maybe just my perception. Manchester was also really far away from home for me- so I think without friends or family in a huge city like that it would be overwhelming. I know people in Edinburgh Newcastle and Glasgow. I still want a university that is considered a good university. I was just explaining why Manchester I don’t think would be for me because of distance and size. I’ve now narrowed it down to Northumbria, Glasgow and Leeds.
Have you made your mind up yet?
Original post by catdb
That’s literally the only downside I’m seeing to Glasgow Caledonian atm. You can do a three year course but it’s 4 years for honours. Whereas in England it’s 3 years for honours. So torn!!! Thanks for replying :smile:

As sad as I feel to say it now, the degree does get hard and sometimes you just want it over with, which at least I think I’m nearly in year 3 now so can see the end, if I wasn’t even half way yet I think there’s a risk I’d just drop out :-/ so I think it’s really important to consider because year 2 blues seem very common.

Also try find out where has good placement opportunities, as much as I liked the placements I got, they were actually pretty limited and not particularly varied and no real kind of ‘something different’ opportunities because the area is quite out the way with more limited services. The one thing that did look at was travelling distances and public transport if you don’t drive. we do have some pretty awful ones, where you have to live in a B&B for 9-11 weeks, but another uni I liked I actually wouldn’t have been able to get to a lot of placements on time so really important to think about!
I think if I could go back I’d look a lot more into things, rather than just, oh it’s a nice city 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending