The Student Room Group

Changing University Courses

So I'm halfway through my first year of Uni and I've decided that I don't like my course or the Uni anymore. I currently study Sociology and English Language BSc and I'm looking to just an English BA.

Really, I don't mind starting from first year again at a different University because I don't think I'd really qualify to start second year. I didn't do English at A Level which restricted me when I applied last year but I presume because I have already done a year of English that I am more likely to be accepted (I have been asking around at Universities for confirmation).

I understand I'd have to drop out of the current Uni once I get all my grades but does that mean I get a CertHE and if yes how do I go about getting it/calming it?

Im not sure how to put it into the UCAS application. Also I was reading up about Student Finance, would I not be eligible for full finance if I was going to a different University? What's the best way to go about all this? Or who can I call/talk to to get advice on this?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tamwebster2
So I'm halfway through my first year of Uni and I've decided that I don't like my course or the Uni anymore. I currently study Sociology and English Language BSc and I'm looking to just an English BA.

Really, I don't mind starting from first year again at a different University because I don't think I'd really qualify to start second year. I didn't do English at A Level which restricted me when I applied last year but I presume because I have already done a year of English that I am more likely to be accepted (I have been asking around at Universities for confirmation).

I understand I'd have to drop out of the current Uni once I get all my grades but does that mean I get a CertHE and if yes how do I go about getting it/calming it?

Im not sure how to put it into the UCAS application. Also I was reading up about Student Finance, would I not be eligible for full finance if I was going to a different University? What's the best way to go about all this? Or who can I call/talk to to get advice on this?

The first thing to do is find out if you can transfer or will have to start again. Then work out which unis have spaces this year. This will be through clearing or asking them directly. Never heard of a certHE for just first year but I could be wrong. You will get credits though. You get a gift year with student finance so you will still get full finance if you start again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
The first thing to do is find out if you can transfer or will have to start again. Then work out which unis have spaces this year. This will be through clearing or asking them directly. You won't get a certHE for just first year. You will get credits though. You get a gift year with student finance so you will still get full finance if you start again.

I have already done all of that I am nearly finished with my UCAS application I just don't know how to put down my first year of uni into the education section. I emailed my uni for help and they said about the CertHE so I'm not sure where that came from if I can't get one for first year.
I have already done all of that I am nearly finished with my UCAS application I just don't know how to put down my first year of uni into the education section. I emailed my uni for help and they said about the CertHE so I'm not sure where that came from if I can't get one for first year.

Have you finished all your exams and got marks for them? You need to put down each module and the marks received.

@PQ can you help?
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Have you finished all your exams and got marks for them? You need to put down each module and the marks received.

@PQ can you help?

No I have one exam in May but I still have assignments to do too. What does it fall under? Do I put it under a BSc even though I have finished the degree? I started to put modules in but was then informed about the CertHe so I scrapped it all. Universities don't come up under the College/Institution page of UCAS either so it's even more difficult.
No I have one exam in May but I still have assignments to do too. What does it fall under? Do I put it under a BSc even though I have finished the degree? I started to put modules in but was then informed about the CertHe so I scrapped it all. Universities don't come up under the College/Institution page of UCAS either so it's even more difficult.

I'd wait for PQ's response. I haven't heard of a certHE before but it looks like the uni may be right about awarding it after first year. You won't have it now so I'd imagine you search for the qualification and then put pending.

Edit: here

Don't worry about the certHE - it's good to get one to show you've achieved something for the year but it isn't essential to know if you'll get one or not for your UCAS application.

See the link in my sig for how to enter university modules. Use the "other" option on UCAS and write in "1st yr BSc Sociology and English Language" and then add your modules.

MOST universities will award a CertHE (equivalent to an HNC) for completing 120 credits of first year modules. Sometimes it's automatic, sometimes you have to request it, some universities don't offer an early exit award like this (Warwick didn't last time I checked) but you'd still have the credits.

As I say - it's worth pursuing for your CV/completeness - but you don't have to have it sorted for your UCAS application (and if you enter a CertHE on UCAS it doesn't give you the option to add your modules and grades so far so it's less useful to admissions staff in assessing your application).
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Don't worry about the certHE - it's good to get one to show you've achieved something for the year but it isn't essential to know if you'll get one or not for your UCAS application.

See the link in my sig for how to enter university modules. Use the "other" option on UCAS and write in "1st yr BSc Sociology and English Language" and then add your modules.

MOST universities will award a CertHE (equivalent to an HNC) for completing 120 credits of first year modules. Sometimes it's automatic, sometimes you have to request it, some universities don't offer an early exit award like this (Warwick didn't last time I checked) but you'd still have the credits.

As I say - it's worth pursuing for your CV/completeness - but you don't have to have it sorted for your UCAS application (and if you enter a CertHE on UCAS it doesn't give you the option to add your modules and grades so far so it's less useful to admissions staff in assessing your application).

Sorry I'm new to this, is there any chance you can post the link here? I'd be grateful for a step by step of some sort because I get worried about having each step completely correct. Thank you for your help though it has helped ease my mind a bit with the whole application.
Sorry I'm new to this, is there any chance you can post the link here? I'd be grateful for a step by step of some sort because I get worried about having each step completely correct. Thank you for your help though it has helped ease my mind a bit with the whole application.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending