The Student Room Group

UK born living abroad for the last 10 years

Hello, my daughter was born in UK and lived until she was 8 years old, we moved to Mexico then and lived there for 10 years, she is 18 years old now and have been living in UK for the last academic year studying a course of higher education with excellent grades.Is she eligible to get student finance loan?
Original post by olga ashford
Hello, my daughter was born in UK and lived until she was 8 years old, we moved to Mexico then and lived there for 10 years, she is 18 years old now and have been living in UK for the last academic year studying a course of higher education with excellent grades.Is she eligible to get student finance loan?

Hi Olga Ashford,

Part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is that you must be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the 1st day of the 1st academic year. Based on the information you've provided, I'm afraid your daughter likely won't be eligible for Student Finance at this point.

We can consider students eligible if their break in residency was of a temporary nature, for example, if someone is on a temporary work contract or a temporary student visa. If this was the case and they could provide evidence of this, they'd still be eligible for Student Finance.

Best wishes,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Olga Ashford,

Part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is that you must be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the 1st day of the 1st academic year. Based on the information you've provided, I'm afraid your daughter likely won't be eligible for Student Finance at this point.

We can consider students eligible if their break in residency was of a temporary nature, for example, if someone is on a temporary work contract or a temporary student visa. If this was the case and they could provide evidence of this, they'd still be eligible for Student Finance.

Best wishes,

John.

Does it count that her father has been living there all this years paying tax and that she lived there until she was 8?
Original post by olga ashford
Does it count that her father has been living there all this years paying tax and that she lived there until she was 8?

Hi Olga,

To qualify for Higher Education support, a UK national, the student herself must meet the following residency requirements: be ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.

If they have been outside of the EEA, only temporary breaks in residency can be accepted.

If the break was not temporary, then once she has three years residency back in the UK she will be eligible for support.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending