The Student Room Group

Is all sugar bad for you?

Switched from fizzy drinks to smoothies to try to get more vitamins and minerals and be healthier but looking at labels, most bottles still have up to 40g of sugar.
There is a disclaimer saying there's no added sugar and all the sugar is natural from fruit but is it just as unhealthy?
I usually get Innocent or Naked smoothies if it makes a difference.
I haven't done any biology in a while but I seem to recall ribose being important...:tongue:

On a slightly less facetious note, provided you keep in mind how much you're consuming with respect to standard recommended daily allowance indicators, it shouldn't be any worse at least. It may be some improvement to consume "natural" sugars as I believe artificial sweeteners and added sugars as used in typical soft drinks seem to be correlated with metabolic issues in some studies.

BUT I'm not a public health official. If you aren't consuming excessive amounts of sugar (compared with the RDA of someone comparable to yourself) and you feel better drinking/eating that then I imagine you shouldn't need to worry too much. As usual, if you're excessively concerned you may wish to speak with your GP about it, who may be able to advise you further and in more detail.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I haven't done any biology in a while but I seem to recall ribose being important...:tongue:

On a slightly less facetious note, provided you keep in mind how much you're consuming with respect to standard recommended daily allowance indicators, it shouldn't be any worse at least. It may be some improvement to consume "natural" sugars as I believe artificial sweeteners and added sugars as used in typical soft drinks seem to be correlated with metabolic issues in some studies.

BUT I'm not a public health official. If you aren't consuming excessive amounts of sugar (compared with the RDA of someone comparable to yourself) and you feel better drinking/eating that then I imagine you shouldn't need to worry too much. As usual, if you're excessively concerned you may wish to speak with your GP about it, who may be able to advise you further and in more detail.

One bottle seems to contain 50% of all the sugar I'm allowed in a day so I'll have to watch what I eat the rest of the time.
Aha, not that concerned at all, just curious. Thank you:h:
Original post by G.Y
One bottle seems to contain 50% of all the sugar I'm allowed in a day so I'll have to watch what I eat the rest of the time.
Aha, not that concerned at all, just curious. Thank you:h:

From the sounds of it, it's probably not much better then :tongue:

Maybe make your own smoothies? It's a bit "crunchy granola people" I realise, but these "mini blender bullets" are all the rage now...I guess if you're just putting in the amount of food you would otherwise eat to be turned into a nutrient paste then you know exactly whether you're overdoing the sugar or other content :wink:
Reply 4
From my research ( mainly what tv dieticians/doctors have to say on sugar), is that refined sugars are the most unhealthy types. Sugars from fruit are much better for you however when you mash them in a smoothie 2 things happen. The first thing is that you tend to use a lot more fruit and consume it much more quickly thus you are getting a lot more sugar in 1 go, and secondly something to do with the sugar coming outta the fruit and how your digestive systems absorbs it is much more unhealthy for you than if you were to eat the fruit as a solid.
Reply 5
When you make a smoothie the sugars become extrinsic and unhealthy. Much better than cakes or biscuits but still unhealthy.

If you want to have more nutrition in your life and really don't want the sugar, look to multivitamins.
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
When you make a smoothie the sugars become extrinsic and unhealthy. Much better than cakes or biscuits but still unhealthy.

If you want to have more nutrition in your life and really don't want the sugar, look to multivitamins.

What about eating fruit as it is?
Reply 7
Original post by G.Y
What about eating fruit as it is?

If you eat whole fruit the sugar remains largely within the cells, much healthier though I don't remember all the details from my nutrition module.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest