The Student Room Group

Economic migration to the UK should cease.

Of course there are the exceptions of extremely talented individuals who will come in and uplift our economy, however when these exceptions reach the tens of thousands, that's a problem.

All elements of public finance are overstretched, the housing crisis is real and quality of life for British people is being compromised in the name of openness.

I believe economic migration should be slashed to the hundreds, VISA processes should be made more rigorous and access to the welfare system should be blocked.

I also feel we should accept victims of war, from countries we've helped to destroy, as a moral duty.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamantacademic
Of course there are the exceptions of extremely talented individuals who will come in and uplift our economy, however when these exceptions reach the tens of thousands, that's a problem.

All elements of public finance are overstretched, the housing crisis is real and quality of life for British people is being compromised in the name of openness.

I believe economic migration should be slashed to the hundreds, VISA processes should be made more rigorous and access to the welfare system should be blocked.

I also feel we should accept victims of war, from countries we've helped to destroy, as a moral duty.

Hi, I've moved your thread to the Society section :smile:
Most economic migration isn't even helpful. The belief comes from the overall stats that claim immigrants generate ridiculously big numbers for the economy. It's all flawed because the gains come from the big bankers earning £10m and the big businessmen. The local eastern european labourers aren't going to make a net contribution. The benefits of immigration can be grown by turning away all the poor and unskilled immigrants and allowing only the immigrants who we need to contribute.

If you mean the 'refugees' (Guardianist code for economic migrants) then use warships to send the back and sink their inflatables. They can't even afford proper boats. I'm not a marine expert, thought I'd make that clear and even I know if you want to cross the sea you need an actual boat. Childrens' play things bought on offer in a famous toy shop's closing down sale won't do.
Original post by Miss Maddie
Most economic migration isn't even helpful. The belief comes from the overall stats that claim immigrants generate ridiculously big numbers for the economy. It's all flawed because the gains come from the big bankers earning £10m and the big businessmen. The local eastern european labourers aren't going to make a net contribution. The benefits of immigration can be grown by turning away all the poor and unskilled immigrants and allowing only the immigrants who we need to contribute.

If you mean the 'refugees' (Guardianist code for economic migrants) then use warships to send the back and sink their inflatables. They can't even afford proper boats. I'm not a marine expert, thought I'd make that clear and even I know if you want to cross the sea you need an actual boat. Childrens' play things bought on offer in a famous toy shop's closing down sale won't do.

Not on the same page with the refugee solution. However, I think you've hit the nail on the head with regards to the myth of economic progress on the backs of 'talented' migrants, this is something really loved by London's elites. On the apparent, migration of any nature seems to be worsening the country, in terms of housing and the welfare state.
Not on the same page with the refugee solution. However, I think you've hit the nail on the head with regards to the myth of economic progress on the backs of 'talented' migrants, this is something really loved by London's elites. On the apparent, migration of any nature seems to be worsening the country, in terms of housing and the welfare state.

Don't forget multiculturalism. Another nonsensical beating stick of London's liberal elite.
Reply 5

How'd you define 'extremely talented individuals who will come in and uplift our economy'?

The whole bloody thing rests on that definition.

Go on, what criteria brings economic migration down to a few hundred?
Reply 6
If you mean the 'refugees' (Guardianist code for economic migrants) then use warships to send the back and sink their inflatables.

So you think the death penalty is reasonable for people simply trying to make a better life for themselves, women and children included?
Original post by Dheorl
So you think the death penalty is reasonable for people simply trying to make a better life for themselves, women and children included?

Obviously don't sink the boats when they're on them. Sink their boats after you've sent them back to where they've came from

I think its less that immigration needs to be halted completely, just that it must be filtered in a way that the economy can handle.

Lots of immigration means lots more pay cutting.
Original post by Zinzar Zhukil
I think its less that immigration needs to be halted completely, just that it must be filtered in a way that the economy can handle.

Lots of immigration means lots more pay cutting.

There's only so many the economy can handle.
Reply 10

Really?

What's that number and what happens to the economy if there are more?
Original post by Quady
Really?

What's that number and what happens to the economy if there are more?

As has been the case in some parts of the world as detailed by a really fascinating World Bank report, fast population increase is usually outstripped by public spending. The outcome in history has been more poverty, poverty being harder to tackle, the usual cries about schools and hospitals falling in quality, stagnation of wage rate beyond expectations and a lower pace of technological development in jobs market. Will it happen in Britain? Hard to say. It has happened elsewhere.

Given our GDP, the economy can handle hundreds of thousands more, the issue is increased immigration diminishes the average quality of life given their reliance on the British welfare system and the strain on the housing market - London's liberal elite, suggest we are somehow in need of them, the only way to find out is an outright ban and if it so happens to be our economy lags due to the absence of incoming foreign migrants, we simply re-open doors with a relaxed zero net immigration policy.

There is no need to be so cruel. All you need to do, is to stop the Italian ships from collecting them right next to the Libyan coast and transporting to Italy.
Given our GDP, the economy can handle hundreds of thousands more, the issue is increased immigration diminishes the average quality of life given their reliance on the British welfare system and the strain on the housing market - London's liberal elite, suggest we are somehow in need of them, the only way to find out is an outright ban and if it so happens to be our economy lags due to the absence of incoming foreign migrants, we simply re-open doors with a relaxed zero net immigration policy.

Don't make the mistake of comparing the millions in Turkey to thousands in Britain. Yeah, we can handle more technically. Look at the conditions they live in though in Turkey. Camps, squalor, dirt, limited food, limited water, crime, etc... We can take millions more, we can have a big refugee camp on the green belts. It'll be worse than Dale Farm. How many can we actually provide a decent standard of living to? Not many.
Original post by PTMalewski
There is no need to be so cruel. All you need to do, is to stop the Italian ships from collecting them right next to the Libyan coast and transporting to Italy.

If Italian ships stop collecting them you'll have more dead bodies on the beaches than D-Day and gangs raking in money from desperate economic migrants. A firm solution is needed to stop them. Warships and a wall!
Don't make the mistake of comparing the millions in Turkey to thousands in Britain. Yeah, we can handle more technically. Look at the conditions they live in though in Turkey. Camps, squalor, dirt, limited food, limited water, crime, etc... We can take millions more, we can have a big refugee camp on the green belts. It'll be worse than Dale Farm. How many can we actually provide a decent standard of living to? Not many.

Yes completely and beyond that it's not just the migrants who will feel the economic fragility, the British working class will be just as affected as both demographics are reliant on social security, in one way or another.
Reply 17

Wow so now you've gone from hundreds to none?

Hope you're practice your keepy uppy skills.

Relaxed zero net migration? Having failed to define how you'd restrict immigration to the hundreds I presume you'll similarly refuse to explain how that will work either....?
Original post by Quady
Wow so now you've gone from hundreds to none?

Hope you're practice your keepy uppy skills.

Relaxed zero net migration? Having failed to define how you'd restrict immigration to the hundreds I presume you'll similarly refuse explain how that will work either....?

Nope I still think immigration should be at the hundreds (not happening in our lifetimes), a common argument is a lot of economic productivity is down to incoming 'talent', in light of this I'd say if this is the case the only way to find out is through an outright ban.
Reply 19

Why not?

Why not cancel foriegn aid spending and use the money on giving 400,000 new immigrants £30,000 jobs cleaning the streets?

Quick Reply