The Student Room Group

So tired I can't remember anything I study...

I feel like I can't and couldn't ever concentrate in any subjects like Maths or Physics or Chemistry and now I have my ACTUAL GCSEs in 5 weeks, feeling like there is no way I'll be able to absorb anything.

It's so much stress I mentally can't cope and am losing a lot of hair lately especially in the shower? Anyone know a good way of revising for the last 5 weeks? I wanna get at least 7s in my subjects but im super doubtful with the amount of content I have to relearn. :frown:(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel literally the same as you! I have 12 Gcses and I honestly I feel like I'm struggling to remember anything. I'm predicted 10 8s and 2 9s and I feel so stressed because I have to work really hard to get those results. Well for me I have decided to just focus on past papers and only relearn what I got wrong. I'm also attending after school sessions to improve. I have also asked a few teachers to give me some reviomsion resources. Revision guides are really useful to me, I recommend cgp!
Best thing to do is lay on top of your textbook and sleep on it. The information will absorb into your brain by osmosis. Just make sure to wet your text book of course!
Original post by skmspnddspn
Best thing to do is lay on top of your textbook and sleep on it. The information will absorb into your brain by osmosis. Just make sure to wet your text book of course!

Ah I think it would be active transport actually, I bet all that information requires a lot of energy to be absorbed against my high concentration gradient!
Original post by animebbqgrill
Ah I think it would be active transport actually, I bet all that information requires a lot of energy to be absorbed against my high concentration gradient!

haha, nah but really if you need help with anything let me know. Im an a level student A2 doing chemistry biology and psychology predicted A*A*A
Original post by Erdsa
I feel literally the same as you! I have 12 Gcses and I honestly I feel like I'm struggling to remember anything. I'm predicted 10 8s and 2 9s and I feel so stressed because I have to work really hard to get those results. Well for me I have decided to just focus on past papers and only relearn what I got wrong. I'm also attending after school sessions to improve. I have also asked a few teachers to give me some reviomsion resources. Revision guides are really useful to me, I recommend cgp!

Hahah ;-;
I'm glad people are in the same spot as me, and wowie those target grades are high! I'm mostly predicted 7s and 8s, and so far I only have an 8 for english language -cries internally-

But yeah, I'm just sitting here with a headache and 3 hours of sleep literally trying my hardest to absorb all the CGP book content. I kinda wasted 4 hours looking through the AQA revision guide for my Physics mock this wednesday and realised how crappy it is when I just opened my CGP book. Anyway, I hope you'll do good!! You seem to be pretty dedicated so at least that's a good sign ^-^
I'm kinda stuck between whether I should revise...... or just listen to music or watch animu like a sad weeb... bloop.
haha, nah but really if you need help with anything let me know. Im an a level student A2 doing chemistry biology and psychology predicted A*A*A

Ah merci!
Yeah I would probably need help with at least my Chemistry cause I'm not doing as good as I should be doing probably.
Ah merci!
Yeah I would probably need help with at least my Chemistry cause I'm not doing as good as I should be doing probably.
what do you need help in chemistry with?
what do you need help in chemistry with?

If I could explain to you how bad I am at organic Chemistry it would end up being a Harry potter book.
The whole thing about Hydrocarbons, alkenes, alkanes, those long ass drawings of H - Cs, and alcohols, and ESPECIALLY condensation polymers. I have no idea what happens with condensation polymers or why they exist.
If I could explain to you how bad I am at organic Chemistry it would end up being a Harry potter book.
The whole thing about Hydrocarbons, alkenes, alkanes, those long ass drawings of H - Cs, and alcohols, and ESPECIALLY condensation polymers. I have no idea what happens with condensation polymers or why they exist.
Ah yes everyone is bad at organic chemistry, a lot of remembering to do. I was also bad at this. which exam board do you do so I can look at it and give you information on everything and help you.
I do AQA. Thank you for being so nice and helping me out though, I really appreciate it!! <333
omg same I've been losing a lot of hair in the shower too recently, I haven't for about a year then suddenly today I have
I do AQA. Thank you for being so nice and helping me out though, I really appreciate it!! <333
for condensation polymerisation you can combine a carboxylic acid -COOH with an alcohol for example CH3OH to give an ester. you always remove a molecule of water. In a level you need to know about this and it happens when u react these two with a strong acid catalyst and heat under reflux. the mechanism is something called nucleophilic addition elimination which i dont think you have to know but its useful to know. once you combine them you put brackets around and an N to show its a repeating unit
Original post by desert_fairy
omg same I've been losing a lot of hair in the shower too recently, I haven't for about a year then suddenly today I have

It honestly just goes to show how unhealthy these GCSE changes are for us mentally and physically. Those old grandpas who made these changes in the government have no clue or sympathy for us.
I really hope the grade boundries are fairly low again, perhaps it will tell them that this was a horrible idea.
for condensation polymerisation you can combine a carboxylic acid -COOH with an alcohol for example CH3OH to give an ester. you always remove a molecule of water. In a level you need to know about this and it happens when u react these two with a strong acid catalyst and heat under reflux. the mechanism is something called nucleophilic addition elimination which i dont think you have to know but its useful to know. once you combine them you put brackets around and an N to show its a repeating unit

Pfahah oh wow well that was simpler than I thought. Thanks a bunch! In the revision book it is so confusing but you summarised it pretty well! Merci beaucoup! ^-^
If you're so tired that you're losing hair in the shower you should really get more sleep :/ i know exams are really stressful, I'm also doing mine in a month and a half, but if you go too hard on yourself you're going to have a meltdown before they even start. I would get some rest before starting to revise again, then you'll feel much more motivated and revising will really be easier and faster
Original post by im not a bot
If you're so tired that you're losing hair in the shower you should really get more sleep :/ i know exams are really stressful, I'm also doing mine in a month and a half, but if you go too hard on yourself you're going to have a meltdown before they even start. I would get some rest before starting to revise again, then you'll feel much more motivated and revising will really be easier and faster

Thanks for the advice. Haha I should probably take it and get some rest, that is true. I'm hoping when the easter holidays come I can just nap through at least like one day cause wowie I miss sleep.

But yeah, the meltdown part... I can imagine that happening. Sucks I'm a pretty anxious guy in general; get stressed out way too easily.

Either way, thanks again! Hope you get good grades ^0^
It honestly just goes to show how unhealthy these GCSE changes are for us mentally and physically. Those old grandpas who made these changes in the government have no clue or sympathy for us.
I really hope the grade boundries are fairly low again, perhaps it will tell them that this was a horrible idea.

I know, it's ridiculous the amount we're expected to do. I too hope the grade boundaries are low this year. Good luck!
Reply 18
1. Dont waste time making notes; you have 5 weeks left and it will do more harm than good. Instead, focus on making productive use of your time.
2. Grab yourself a pack of highlighter pens; use each colour for a specific purpose. i.e. yellow for definitions, green for key concepts, pink for things you dont understand etc.
3. Pick a subject. e.g. Chemistry. Grab your text book, revision guide and specification. Start with chapter one of the text book. Read the material "actively" from chapter one of your text book, and highlight the key information as you go along.
4. When you have finished reading the chapter (I need to stress that you really need to read "actively"), careful go through the highlighted parts only.
5. Attempt some of the end of chapter questions.
6. Grab your revision guide and do the same with the corresponding chapter.
7. Use the pomodoro technique to keep you focussed (it really works if you do it right). https://tomato-timer.com/
8. When chapter one is done, move on to chapter two and repeat the procedure.
9. Try to finish 3 chapters of Chemistry in a day. Make sure you go to bed before midnight. Before you go to bed, if you have any energy left, read over the highlighted parts in your text book + revision guide. Switch off the lights, be happy about how much you have done in a day, and go to sleep.
10. Wake up, change your subject, and repeat the process. Try to target 3 chapters a day, and alternate between different subjects.
11. After 10 days have passed, check how much work you have done per subject. If you are doing fine, thats great; you should be confident enough to continue with the strategy. If you are still behind, try not to worry about it too much but at the same time, try to speed up a little if you can. Its not the end of the world if you dont cover everything in time. You can still get As.
12. Two weeks before the exam, start attempting past papers and time yourself. Even if you dont have enough time to do past papers for all subjects, dont worry about it. But prioritise which subjects you really want to nail, and make sure you attempt past papers for those subjects.

I can remember getting an A in religious studies and I didnt attempt a single past paper. I got an A* in English literature and I didnt attempt any past papers for that subject either. The ones I did do past papers for, were subjects that I really wanted to nail, like the Sciences and Maths. So prioritise and get on with it.

I gave the above advice to my nephew who is sitting his GCSEs this year, and he thanked me for it. At first he was reluctant to use highlighter pens to highlight things in his text books because he has OCD. But he saw me doing it with my stuff, and it inspired him to use the strategy. The highlighting technique + Pomodoro technique is a great combination. I remember him finishing loads of chapters in 3-4 hours using the above.

Good luck.
Original post by mafk80
1. Dont waste time making notes; you have 5 weeks left and it will do more harm than good. Instead, focus on making productive use of your time.
2. Grab yourself a pack of highlighter pens; use each colour for a specific purpose. i.e. yellow for definitions, green for key concepts, pink for things you dont understand etc.
3. Pick a subject. e.g. Chemistry. Grab your text book, revision guide and specification. Start with chapter one of the text book. Read the material "actively" from chapter one of your text book, and highlight the key information as you go along.
4. When you have finished reading the chapter (I need to stress that you really need to read "actively"), careful go through the highlighted parts only.
5. Attempt some of the end of chapter questions.
6. Grab your revision guide and do the same with the corresponding chapter.
7. Use the pomodoro technique to keep you focussed (it really works if you do it right). https://tomato-timer.com/
8. When chapter one is done, move on to chapter two and repeat the procedure.
9. Try to finish 3 chapters of Chemistry in a day. Make sure you go to bed before midnight. Before you go to bed, if you have any energy left, read over the highlighted parts in your text book + revision guide. Switch off the lights, be happy about how much you have done in a day, and go to sleep.
10. Wake up, change your subject, and repeat the process. Try to target 3 chapters a day, and alternate between different subjects.
11. After 10 days have passed, check how much work you have done per subject. If you are doing fine, thats great; you should be confident enough to continue with the strategy. If you are still behind, try not to worry about it too much but at the same time, try to speed up a little if you can. Its not the end of the world if you dont cover everything in time. You can still get As.
12. Two weeks before the exam, start attempting past papers and time yourself. Even if you dont have enough time to do past papers for all subjects, dont worry about it. But prioritise which subjects you really want to nail, and make sure you attempt past papers for those subjects.

I can remember getting an A in religious studies and I didnt attempt a single past paper. I got an A* in English literature and I didnt attempt any past papers for that subject either. The ones I did do past papers for, were subjects that I really wanted to nail, like the Sciences and Maths. So prioritise and get on with it.

I gave the above advice to my nephew who is sitting his GCSEs this year, and he thanked me for it. At first he was reluctant to use highlighter pens to highlight things in his text books because he has OCD. But he saw me doing it with my stuff, and it inspired him to use the strategy. The highlighting technique + Pomodoro technique is a great combination. I remember him finishing loads of chapters in 3-4 hours using the above.

Good luck.

Wowie thank you that is super useful! I see how that would work well, I'll try it as soon as I get home!

Thank you thank thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest