The Student Room Group

Losing weight when you’re obsessed with food

Title says it all really 😂 i eat when im hungry, bored, tired, sad, not feeling very well, at all times of the day, month, year im literally obsessed with food 😂 but im a really picky eater the only way to describe it is i eat like a kid like pizza chicken nuggets chips etc i know its really bad and i want to change it but i have no idea how does anyone have any suggestions?
Start cooking from scratch and only buying food you need to cook your meals with.
go shopping after a big meal you wount feel so hungry so will be unlikely to buy junk food, fill your fridge with fruit veg. if your only going to eat junk food you will have to accept that your not going to be able to lose weight period. Eating enough junk food to make you full will contain way more calories than you are likely to burn. Dont follow fad diets that you wount stick to you need to eat low fat carbs like potato (not chips) bread rice cus cus pasta. Then you also need to eat fruit and veg to get vitamens.
Reply 3
I used to eat erratically too OP, the way I altered my ways was that I just cut down (not out) on the thing I ate the most of chips - I used to eat them literally 4 or 5 times a week and I cut them down to just once a fortnight to start with.After that I gradually cut down the amount of refined sugars I was eating (mainly from tomatoe ketchup and golden syrup) the golden syrup I used to put a lot on my breakfast(readybrek) to make it taste better. I just gradually put less and less in until now when I dont put any into it at all.
After that I then looked at finding alternatives to the foods I was eating - I tried all sorts of different fruits and vegetables some I liked some I didn;t - with the ones I liked or enjoyed I found a way to incorporate them into my daily meals.With things like sweets and chocolates instead of sitting down with a full bar or full pack I emptied them into containers and would just take a few at a time. Eventually this got less and less each time.
At the end of the day try to find some foods which are higher in fibre and protein to try to replace some of your junk foods with - and doing it gradually will psychologically speaking I think make you not miss the foods you currently like.(at least for me anyways).
Good luck with changing your eating habits.
Reply 4
intermittent fasting
There’s no easy way. You need willpower and an understanding of how to fuel your body efficiently. Eating crap will just make you want more crap. You need lean proteins, decent carbs, veg, minimal added sugar, minimal added salt. Can you cook? Usually the reason people rely on processed foods is because they just don’t know how to cook wholesome meals themselves and it’s easier to just keep buying the same stuff than to sit down and learn about how to put things together in a way that tastes good.

How much do you want to loose? Might be worth calculating your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and tracking macros for a bit while you get into a routine with your meals.
Original post by JaseyB
I used to eat erratically too OP, the way I altered my ways was that I just cut down (not out) on the thing I ate the most of chips - I used to eat them literally 4 or 5 times a week and I cut them down to just once a fortnight to start with.After that I gradually cut down the amount of refined sugars I was eating (mainly from tomatoe ketchup and golden syrup) the golden syrup I used to put a lot on my breakfast(readybrek) to make it taste better. I just gradually put less and less in until now when I dont put any into it at all.
After that I then looked at finding alternatives to the foods I was eating - I tried all sorts of different fruits and vegetables some I liked some I didn;t - with the ones I liked or enjoyed I found a way to incorporate them into my daily meals.With things like sweets and chocolates instead of sitting down with a full bar or full pack I emptied them into containers and would just take a few at a time. Eventually this got less and less each time.
At the end of the day try to find some foods which are higher in fibre and protein to try to replace some of your junk foods with - and doing it gradually will psychologically speaking I think make you not miss the foods you currently like.(at least for me anyways).

Not even trying to be funny, this just sounds too hard. I like eating waaaaaaay too much to be able to cut down like this. Props to you for managing it
Reply 7
Eat less, exercise more.
1F623C6D-0233-4C6B-AFF3-FC9C61E47761.jpg.jpeg
Reply 8
Original post by JaseyB

This is so helpful thank you!!
Reply 9
Original post by alexschmalex
Not even trying to be funny, this just sounds too hard. I like eating waaaaaaay too much to be able to cut down like this. Props to you for managing it

Thankyou honestly it's not so hard it's all about just taking small baby steps 1 at a time. 1 small change a time.
Original post by hananahh_
Title says it all really 😂 i eat when im hungry, bored, tired, sad, not feeling very well, at all times of the day, month, year im literally obsessed with food 😂 but im a really picky eater the only way to describe it is i eat like a kid like pizza chicken nuggets chips etc i know its really bad and i want to change it but i have no idea how does anyone have any suggestions?

Your diet is very unhealthy and childish (it sounds like what a 5 year old would eat if they go free reign over their diet).
Anyhoo;

1. Stuff like pizza is full of refined carbs. Carbs are basically sugar. (Whether you taste it's sweetness or not) sugar has strong hormonal effects on your body. Refined carbs are very bad for dietary restraint because;

a. They're broken down very quickly by the body (meaning that you don't stay feeling full for long).
b. There's no real "off switch" for sugars in your body (meaning they're very easy to over-eat on).
c. If you eat a lot of sugar in one sitting, it will inevitably lead to a sugar crash later (and that'll lead to a lot of food cravings and fluctuating energy levels).

Pizza should be a treat and not a regular fair in your diet. And even when eaten, stuff like pizza & pasta should take up no more than a 3rd of your plate (the rest should be bulked out with non-starchy vegetables). Many pizza's easily contain 1000-1200+ calories (basically about half of your recommended daily calorie intake in one sitting).

If you want to feel more energized, fuller, less hungry and suffering less particular cravings, you need to address the high sugar content of your diet. Mushy carb-rich foods (white breads, pasta's etc) are also bad for dental health.

2. Not all carbs are bad for you. Natural unrefined carb rich foods such as sweet potato's, oats, rice and beans etc (full of dietary fiber and other important things) are good for you (however you still need to exercise portion control over them).

3. You need to eat green vegetables (like lettuce, spinach, broccoli, runner beans, courgettes etc). These are really important in diet; full of vitamins and antioxidants and low in calories, you should be eating at last 1 portion of green veg in your diet every day.

4. Most non-starchy vegetables are incredibly low in fats & calories and bulking out your plate with healthy veg options will help target hunger issues while not getting fat.

5. I really recommend investing in a couple of portion control plates like this (they show you not only the amounts you should be eating, but the types of food):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ceramic-Measure-Melamine-Microwave-Dishwasher/dp/B0733J87T6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522238455&sr=8-1&keywords=portion+control+plate+ceramic

Sticking to a portion control plate based diet like the above one will pretty much guarantee weight loss and better health.

6. Chicken nuggets: They are very high in fat, salt & sugar etc. Beyond that, they contain a lot of horrendous ingredients that you really don't want to be eating such as anti-foaming agents. Start actually facing up to realities of what your eating (research all those funny sounding ingredients) and you will feel less and less inclined to put these things in your mouth.

7. Get some proper cooking ware. Steamers, slow cookers, woks & smoothie machines etc are great for cutting down on fat/calories in your meals!

a. The more you home cook your meals, the more you cut down on added sugars, fats & salts (all those unwanted calories and cravings which are added to processed foods) in your diet.
b. The nutritional content of your diet will go up significantly (leading to better skin, energy levels, nicer hair etc).
c. Home cooking saves so much money, that whatever you invest in cooking equipment will be paid off in no time at all.
d. Cooking doesn't have to be difficult or time consuming. If you're struck for idea's, there are literally hundreds of thousands of cookbooks out there focused on quick recipes (15 minute meals, meals only using 5 ingredients etc) or for beginners etc. The cookery book market is very saturated and this means that there are cookbooks themed on almost every type of cooking imaginable.

8. Treat your body with more respect. This is the day you start to like and look after yourself. Whatever you choose to wear or wherever you live, your body is your real outfit and your real home. You're in this body for life (so it's time to start looking after it!). Don't motivate yourself out of self-loathing; motivate yourself out of self-love.
Be kinder to and more honest with yourself (embrace yourself!).
No starvation dieting.
Identify your bad habits and create solutions to address them. So for example;

a. If you really can't control yourself around a particular junk food, simply don't stock it in your home (as you can't eat what you don't have!).
b. Keep a fruit bowl and some cooked veg in your fridge always ready to hand; if you're longing for a particular food, ask yourself "How hungry am I actually? Would I eat a bowl of steamed carrots or an apple if I couldn't have this thing?". Identify when you're actually hungry as opposed to just experiencing cravings.
c. Treat yourself to one small amount of treat food a day (dieting shouldn't be total slavery/misery as otherwise you won't sustain it long term!). To make make sure you exercise control though, don't bring the whole lot through with you (so for example break off a few pieces of chocolate to take with you through to another room but leave the rest in the cupboard/fridge).

9. Always eat 3-4 small meals a day (equally spaced and nothing eaten in the 4hr run up to bed). Don't eat while at the computer or watching TV as you'll be much more like to aimlessly over-eat.

10. Cut out soft drinks, full stop. There are so many calories in these drinks (and sweeteners make appetite worse). Sugary drinks increase savoury cravings (meaning that combining a sweet drink with a savoury meal will make you eat much more food). Your daily meal drink should be water, milk or an unsweetened milk substitute (like soya milk). Cut down on sugar added to tea/coffee.

Cutting down on sugar is hard, but as you cut down on it your taste buds will become more sensitized to the taste of sugar (meaning that within just weeks 1 sugar in your tea will taste like what 2 used to, etc).

11. Take up exercise. Weight loss is 80% diet 20% exercise. But that doesn't mean that exercise isn't important; regular exercise combined with a superior diet always makes for the best results. Make exercise a part of your daily "me time". You should be aiming to get your heart rate up/get in a sweat and build a little muscle. Try taking up jogging and light weight lifting. You should be doing at least 2.5 hours of exercise every week (regardless of whether you want to lose weight or not).

12. Don't weigh yourself too often. Only do it once a week. But take your measurements and a couple of photos of yourself to track your progress. If you take up exercise, expect your weight to go up before it starts to go down (because muscle weighs more than fat and in the first few weeks of any new decent exercise regime your body will put on a lot of muscle which on the scales will overshadow the fat loss work results).
I am like that. I recently started exercising by slowly building up the amount of time a week. I also have been getting at least 7 and a half hours of sleep. All of this helps me not eat too much. (I can't eat the normal sized breakfast that I used to have weeks ago before getting really full.) I sometimes have a little snack, 2 or 3 times a week. The sleep thing is really good as well, I am going to go for 9 hours soon enough. Also, drink lots of water.

Edit: I also have been cutting down on sizes of meals. (Portions were really high.) Whenever I have an unhealthy food such as chips I half my serving and serve some carrots or whatever vegetable I have gotten used to eating.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest