The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Labrador99
Yeah :redface: The projects are the worst! I think that could be said for any of them individually as well though :lol: But on the whole, I think the content is okay :smile:

True, but personally I think my stress levels would go through the roof if I had to do three projects! I have to use a colorimeter for my experiment and it’s a really old rubbish needle one and keeps playing up. Been tempted numerous times to launch it across the room and ngl today some things did go flying😂
Original post by cxrwl
True, but personally I think my stress levels would go through the roof if I had to do three projects! I have to use a colorimeter for my experiment and it’s a really old rubbish needle one and keeps playing up. Been tempted numerous times to launch it across the room and ngl today some things did go flying😂

I can relate to the colorimeter troubles as I too was using a very old one that wasn't too reliable :lol:
Reply 62
I can relate to the colorimeter troubles as I too was using a very old one that wasn't too reliable :lol:

haha it honestly does my head in! our teachers ask for a new one every year but our school just refuses so that’s quite annoying but if things get desperate I’ll just have to tweak my results slightly!
Original post by cxrwl
haha it honestly does my head in! our teachers ask for a new one every year but our school just refuses so that’s quite annoying but if things get desperate I’ll just have to tweak my results slightly!

That's not very good if they still can't get a new one! But I guess it's just a sign of the pressure schools are under these days :frown:

It's good in a way though that you can then talk about it in your discussion :smile:
Reply 64
That's not very good if they still can't get a new one! But I guess it's just a sign of the pressure schools are under these days :frown:

It's good in a way though that you can then talk about it in your discussion :smile:

Yeah suppose, there’s always been a lot of issues about what teachers/students want vs what management spend the money on but they’re building a new school by 2020 so hopefully they’ll get all the new equipment even if it won’t benefit me!

And that is very true, and I’m glad about it since my results don’t make sense🙂

Edit: also forgot this is the chemistry threat I luckily only have to use a colorimeter for my biology experiment!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 65
chem is actually going okay almost done a first draft and practical went smoothly with no problems. Bio is much worse - almost finished practical but write up is a shambles and generally not good haha
Original post by cxrwl
Yeah it’s quite strange that my candidate guide also states it though as I’m pretty sure that was only released in December or January. We will just wait for the SQA to clarify but I’m hoping that you’re right!

Yeah it’s nice to see this threat come to life every now and again🙂

Original post by Melissa777
Typical sqa giving conflicting information!

Heard back from the SQA today- good news! Here's what they said:

"Thank you for contacting SQA.

The project–report should be between 2500 and 4500 words in length excluding the title page, contents page, tables, graphs, diagrams, calculations, references, acknowledgements and any appendices. The word count should be submitted with the project–report. If the word count exceeds the maximum (4500) by 10%, a penalty of 3 marks will be applied. This information is available at: https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/GAInfoAHChemistry.pdf

This information is also contained within the understanding the next steps document, available at: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/ChemistryAHGuidanceSession1617.pdf

There is also a subject update report, which instructs teachers to look at the understanding the next steps document, and can be found here: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/Chemistry_ScienceSubjectUpdateAutumn2017.pdf

If centres are instructing candidates to keep at 3000 words, I would be grateful if they could get in touch with SQA to let us know where they have received this guidance, so that SQA can take steps to clarify, if required".

@cxrwl Since your centre is giving out incorrect information, the SQA have asked that you contact them (email [email protected] ) to make sure that the teacher is corrected and doesn't continue to do it. Not much that can be done about the textbook.

At least this resolves things, and you've got more words than you thought :smile:
Reply 67
Heard back from the SQA today- good news! Here's what they said:

"Thank you for contacting SQA.

The project–report should be between 2500 and 4500 words in length excluding the title page, contents page, tables, graphs, diagrams, calculations, references, acknowledgements and any appendices. The word count should be submitted with the project–report. If the word count exceeds the maximum (4500) by 10%, a penalty of 3 marks will be applied. This information is available at: https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/GAInfoAHChemistry.pdf

This information is also contained within the understanding the next steps document, available at: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/ChemistryAHGuidanceSession1617.pdf

There is also a subject update report, which instructs teachers to look at the understanding the next steps document, and can be found here: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/Chemistry_ScienceSubjectUpdateAutumn2017.pdf

If centres are instructing candidates to keep at 3000 words, I would be grateful if they could get in touch with SQA to let us know where they have received this guidance, so that SQA can take steps to clarify, if required".

@cxrwl Since your centre is giving out incorrect information, the SQA have asked that you contact them (email [email protected] ) to make sure that the teacher is corrected and doesn't continue to do it. Not much that can be done about the textbook.

At least this resolves things, and you've got more words than you thought :smile:

thank you!
Original post by cxrwl
thank you!

No problem :smile:
Hi! How's everyone getting on with the course? We finished Unit 2 today and were VERY nearly having the NAB next week, but it has thankfully been moved till after Easter :biggrin: (more time for me to wrap my head around synthesis...). How are people finding Unit 3? Maths is not my strong point so a wee bit worried :s-smilie:
Reply 70
when is everyone gonna start exam revision
Original post by Puppo
when is everyone gonna start exam revision

Easter Holidays
Reply 72
How did people find the unit 2 test? I’m not interested in knowing what was in it but missed the past 2 weeks of chemistry and my teacher has just earlier told me I have to do the test tomorrow. Safe to say I’m screwed. Was it a big test and hard or straightforward? Just so I have an idea of how in depth I should revise as there ain’t a chance I’ll manage to do the whole unit properly.
Original post by cxrwl
How did people find the unit 2 test? I’m not interested in knowing what was in it but missed the past 2 weeks of chemistry and my teacher has just earlier told me I have to do the test tomorrow. Safe to say I’m screwed. Was it a big test and hard or straightforward? Just so I have an idea of how in depth I should revise as there ain’t a chance I’ll manage to do the whole unit properly.

It's all on synthesis!! So make sure you know it!
Original post by cxrwl

OK so revision time to make our procrastination on the student room worthwhile, lets start from the beginning of synthesis: what are the two types of fission?
Reply 75
Original post by Keen Bean #1
OK so revision time to make our procrastination on the student room worthwhile, lets start from the beginning of synthesis: what are the two types of fission?

Sounds good haha. Homolytic and heterolytic? I literally haven’t done any revision yet oops homolytic is the one that produces free radicals right? If so I know the three steps involved🙂
Original post by cxrwl
Sounds good haha. Homolytic and heterolytic? I literally haven’t done any revision yet oops homolytic is the one that produces free radicals right? If so I know the three steps involved🙂

You got this! Haha yep and heterolytic produces ions, which makes it suitable for synthesis!
Reply 77
You got this! Haha yep and heterolytic produces ions, which makes it suitable for synthesis!

Ngl that’s about the only thing I know haha
Original post by cxrwl
Ngl that’s about the only thing I know haha

How did it go?
Reply 79
How did it go?

just about scraped a pass but not bothered at least it’s done🙂

Latest

Trending

Trending