The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Psychology conversion (reading list)

Hi all,

I am starting the Msc Psychology (conversion) at Chester Uni in September/October 2018, and I am very excited.

I am desperate to get a head start and do some background reading, so if anyone has any general suggestions for Psychology books (or a book list to share) I would be very grateful.

Also if there is anyone on the board from previous intakes it would be great to hear when you received further information about enrollment. Things like start dates, reading lists, module plans etc. I have found the general stuff on the website, but now I am looking for more detail. I know it will be sent to me in good time, but just wondering when that might be based on the experience of others!

Thanks all
Original post by mona3256
Hi all,

I am starting the Msc Psychology (conversion) at Chester Uni in September/October 2018, and I am very excited.

I am desperate to get a head start and do some background reading, so if anyone has any general suggestions for Psychology books (or a book list to share) I would be very grateful.

Also if there is anyone on the board from previous intakes it would be great to hear when you received further information about enrollment. Things like start dates, reading lists, module plans etc. I have found the general stuff on the website, but now I am looking for more detail. I know it will be sent to me in good time, but just wondering when that might be based on the experience of others!

Thanks all

Hello,

The Department would be happy to answer any questions you have, they could also get in touch with the Programme Leader to see if they can advise you about course books and reading. Please email: [email protected]
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Hi all,

Thanks all

Hey, I got accepted here too. I'm not sure if I will accept because I got a few other offers. What made you choose here? I'm finding it difficult to determine which University is best for me.

I also emailed Queens University Belfast about reading preparation and they suggested Psychology Research Methods for Dummies and Basic introducation to Psychology textbooks, so i guess the usual like Gross etc.

Lauren
Reply 3
Original post by Laurensroom
Hey, I got accepted here too. I'm not sure if I will accept because I got a few other offers. What made you choose here? I'm finding it difficult to determine which University is best for me.

I also emailed Queens University Belfast about reading preparation and they suggested Psychology Research Methods for Dummies and Basic introducation to Psychology textbooks, so i guess the usual like Gross etc.

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

They sent me the book list for this year, and suggested the best 'core' book was:
Holt, N., Bremner, A., Sutherland, E., Vliek, M., Passer, M. & Smith, R. (2015). Psychology, the science of mind and behaviour (3rd ed.). McGraw Hill. ISBN 9780077169848.

I have bought it - and it is a text book, rather than a light read for a commute!

I chose Chester for mainly logistical reasons. It is where I am from originally, so would be easy for me to move back. Plus I am a mature student, and still plan to work. So the fact all lectures etc. were on the same day meant I cold still work in a 'proper' job. I also considered Manchester Met (distance learning) but decided I wanted face to face teaching.

Chester has no exams if this is important to you. It is also a very pretty (small) city, so an easy place to live. Other unis though may have course material more relevant to your interests.

Have you been to open days? These will help you decide I am sure!

Good luck whatever you decide
Hi Lauren,

They sent me the book list for this year, and suggested the best 'core' book was:
Holt, N., Bremner, A., Sutherland, E., Vliek, M., Passer, M. & Smith, R. (2015). Psychology, the science of mind and behaviour (3rd ed.). McGraw Hill. ISBN 9780077169848.

I have bought it - and it is a text book, rather than a light read for a commute!

I chose Chester for mainly logistical reasons. It is where I am from originally, so would be easy for me to move back. Plus I am a mature student, and still plan to work. So the fact all lectures etc. were on the same day meant I cold still work in a 'proper' job. I also considered Manchester Met (distance learning) but decided I wanted face to face teaching.

Chester has no exams if this is important to you. It is also a very pretty (small) city, so an easy place to live. Other unis though may have course material more relevant to your interests.

Thanks for your reply !
What is Chester's student life like? I know it is small but is there much atmosphere?

I might look into getting that book, it seems up to date too which is a plus. I take it you haven't done an interview for anywhere else for a MSc in psychology?

Lauren
Do you know what days the lectures fall on? I think I'm doing the course in September also at Chester! :smile:
Original post by sophiedawnpotter
Do you know what days the lectures fall on? I think I'm doing the course in September also at Chester! :smile:

Sophie this could be inaccurate but I think it might be Mondays. Did you get accepted? Are you going to live in Chester?
Reply 7
Original post by sophiedawnpotter

The classes are held on Wednesday. I confirmed this myself with the course coordinator about a week ago. They are held 10am to 5pm

The first sessions (ie induction day) is 10th October. Last day is 9th October 2019. The only Wednesdays without classes are obvious dates around Xmas and Easter
Hi Lauren,

I've been offered a place at Chester and Liverpool Hope, but I'm leaning more towards Chester because I'm coming to the end of a child nursing degree course undertaken there and I had a really positive experience with regards to support (both from staff and peers) and atmosphere, and also because I don't live too far away (on the Wirral). Do you feel any closer to making a final decision on which uni you'll go to yet? :smile:

Original post by Laurensroom

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I also emailed the course leader and bought the 'core' textbook, I think I'll read it over my Summer break. Have you started reading it? I still have six weeks left of my nursing degree(provided I don't fail my final assessment!), but I'm so excited to start my psychology conversion masters. I will be doing the course part-time. :smile:

Ally
Hey guys. Im starting this course too.My timetable on the app (Learned quickly not to rely on it during my undergrad) doesnt mention the induction. Cant find where/when it will be held except that I know its this wednesday. Do you guys know anything more?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending