The Student Room Group

Gifts from the SQA- Ultimate SQA Resource Guide!

So for most of us Scottish students, the SQA aren't exactly our favourite people in the world...Exams are a stressful time and it can be easy to blame them as the source, especially with the recent and ongoing changes to exams. :s-smilie:
But, they actually do provide us with a lot of resources that can help you to secure the grade you want and deserve come results day in August. So, without further ado, here's your

Ultimate Guide to SQA Resources!
:party:

Past Papers
So, this one is very obvious, but past papers are one of the most important resources in your exam preparation! There are often questions that appear year after year in similar formats, and doing past papers familiarises you with what the paper actually looks like, which is especially important if you're preparing for your first set of exams this May! There are also specimen papers available, and in many subjects, some questions from the old exams can be useful preparation too. Don't forget to make use of the marking scheme as well, and stick to it if you're marking yourself- some subjects are notoriously picky about how things are worded to gain marks.

The Specification
The specification tells you exactly which pieces of knowledge you can be assessed on, so is a really important document to have and use as part of your revision! The most in depth and valuable version of this is available within the document called 'Course and Unit Support Notes', and is contained within the tables on the landscape pages of the document. If it's not in the specification, you can't be asked a knowledge based question about it!

Course Assessment Specification
This document is a good overview of the course, so can be useful if you're trying to figure out what to expect in the subjects you've picked next year, or just want a summary of all the main topics to plan your revision. It also explains how the course is assessed, which is really useful in terms of knowing what to expect come exam season.

Coursework: Guidance on Conditions of Assessment
This document is one that you might find handy if you're still in the midst of completing coursework. It explains clearly exactly what is allowed, and what isn't both in the preparation/research stage and in the write up.

Coursework: General Assessment Information
These documents are hugely valuable when it comes to completing coursework, as they contain the full marking schemes that the examiner will be using to mark your work this spring/summer! The Detailed Marking Instructions within the document contain the exact criteria for each mark, as well as notes explaining this in context.

Data Booklets/Formulae Sheets
Whether you've lost yours, left it in school or were never given one, the data booklets and formulae sheets can all be downloaded from the SQA website. It's really important to familiarise yourself with these, as it will save you wasting revision time memorising information you will be given, and saves time looking for things in the actual exam!

Course Reports
Each year, for each subject and level, the SQA produces a Course Report that summarises the performance of candidates in that year. It explains all of the areas where candidates performed well, but also the areas where a lot of people made mistakes, in both the final exam and any coursework that was submitted. It even has advice for the preparation of future candidates, so this is not a document to be missed!

SQA Understanding Standards
This is one of those really valuable resources, that unfortunately not a lot of people seem to know about. It contains example pieces of coursework and actual exam scripts, as well as the marking commentary from the examiner. It is a brilliant resource for getting a better idea of whether you're hitting the right standard to gain marks, and can be especially useful for completing coursework, or studying essay subjects, which can be difficult to mark yourself.
Access SQA Understanding Standards

Hopefully you found this helpful :smile: If there are any other SQA resources that you think should be on this list, let me know, and I can get them added in :h:
Reply 1
Understanding Standards is brilliant, I have to give the SQA credit for that.
Only found out about the Understanding Standards site recently, but it's actually so helpful.

Our teacher calls the SQA "evil and out to get us" (kinda agreeing, depends on the subject it appears to me, along with some of these useful resources!)
Original post by MLM99
Understanding Standards is brilliant, I have to give the SQA credit for that.

Definitely agree with that :smile: It is really helpful to be able to see example coursework especially!
Original post by WestDragon
Only found out about the Understanding Standards site recently, but it's actually so helpful.

Our teacher calls the SQA "evil and out to get us" (kinda agreeing, depends on the subject it appears to me, along with some of these useful resources!)

It is! Problem is only some teachers tell student about it, even within schools- I think there are probably a lot of people missing out on something that is so helpful!

:lol: I mean, they don't really make the big decisions, but yeah, a few things that have been changed are not necessarily for the best. At least we don't have all the different exam boards (who I'm sure we would hate equally!) like they have in England/Wales to worry about!
Original post by Labrador99
It is! Problem is only some teachers tell student about it, even within schools- I think there are probably a lot of people missing out on something that is so helpful!

:lol: I mean, they don't really make the big decisions, but yeah, a few things that have been changed are not necessarily for the best. At least we don't have all the different exam boards (who I'm sure we would hate equally!) like they have in England/Wales to worry about!

Aha, that's certainly very true, I think one exam board is more than enough!
Original post by WestDragon
Aha, that's certainly very true, I think one exam board is more than enough!

Yeah, definitely! :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
So for most of us Scottish students, the SQA aren't exactly our favourite people in the world...Exams are a stressful time and it can be easy to blame them as the source, especially with the recent and ongoing changes to exams. :s-smilie:
But, they actually do provide us with a lot of resources that can help you to secure the grade you want and deserve come results day in August. So, without further ado, here's your

Ultimate Guide to SQA Resources!
:party:

Past Papers
So, this one is very obvious, but past papers are one of the most important resources in your exam preparation! There are often questions that appear year after year in similar formats, and doing past papers familiarises you with what the paper actually looks like, which is especially important if you're preparing for your first set of exams this May! There are also specimen papers available, and in many subjects, some questions from the old exams can be useful preparation too. Don't forget to make use of the marking scheme as well, and stick to it if you're marking yourself- some subjects are notoriously picky about how things are worded to gain marks.

The Specification
The specification tells you exactly which pieces of knowledge you can be assessed on, so is a really important document to have and use as part of your revision! The most in depth and valuable version of this is available within the document called 'Course and Unit Support Notes', and is contained within the tables on the landscape pages of the document. If it's not in the specification, you can't be asked a knowledge based question about it!

Course Assessment Specification
This document is a good overview of the course, so can be useful if you're trying to figure out what to expect in the subjects you've picked next year, or just want a summary of all the main topics to plan your revision. It also explains how the course is assessed, which is really useful in terms of knowing what to expect come exam season.

Coursework: Guidance on Conditions of Assessment
This document is one that you might find handy if you're still in the midst of completing coursework. It explains clearly exactly what is allowed, and what isn't both in the preparation/research stage and in the write up.

Coursework: General Assessment Information
These documents are hugely valuable when it comes to completing coursework, as they contain the full marking schemes that the examiner will be using to mark your work this spring/summer! The Detailed Marking Instructions within the document contain the exact criteria for each mark, as well as notes explaining this in context.

Data Booklets/Formulae Sheets
Whether you've lost yours, left it in school or were never given one, the data booklets and formulae sheets can all be downloaded from the SQA website. It's really important to familiarise yourself with these, as it will save you wasting revision time memorising information you will be given, and saves time looking for things in the actual exam!

Course Reports
Each year, for each subject and level, the SQA produces a Course Report that summarises the performance of candidates in that year. It explains all of the areas where candidates performed well, but also the areas where a lot of people made mistakes, in both the final exam and any coursework that was submitted. It even has advice for the preparation of future candidates, so this is not a document to be missed!

SQA Understanding Standards
This is one of those really valuable resources, that unfortunately not a lot of people seem to know about. It contains example pieces of coursework and actual exam scripts, as well as the marking commentary from the examiner. It is a brilliant resource for getting a better idea of whether you're hitting the right standard to gain marks, and can be especially useful for completing coursework, or studying essay subjects, which can be difficult to mark yourself.
Access SQA Understanding Standards

Hopefully you found this helpful :smile: If there are any other SQA resources that you think should be on this list, let me know, and I can get them added in :h:

This is really helpful - thanks so much for putting it together.

Good luck to everyone doing SQA exams!
Original post by The Learn Ranger
This is really helpful - thanks so much for putting it together.

Good luck to everyone doing SQA exams!

Thank you, and no problem :smile:
Has anyone used any of the SQA apps? If you have, how have you found them?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest