The Student Room Group

The journey to Grade 9's - GYG

Hello,

I know I may be late to this, but I thought I'd set up a GYG now that I have just 7 weeks until the exam season officially begins for me.

As a bit of background information, my name is Harry, I am 16 years old and currently in Year 11. I have a predicted APS of 7.9, and really want to achieve an 8 in all subjects (perhaps RE is an exception, I hate it :biggrin: ) and 9's in Maths and maybe the sciences.

I'm quite outgoing, do a lot of sport, and generally just a nice guy.

So, let's see how this goes. I'll try to update as much as possible, with what I am revising and anything else I get up to that is somewhat interesting (to me at least)

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

First post for the start of a new week:

Had a week of core subject exams last week, so I got a few of them back today, and the results were as follows:
- Maths: 66/80 (3rd In Year Group)
- Chemistry: 85/100 (1st In Year Group)
- Physics: 86/100 (1st In Year Group)

Going to go over these and see where I dropped marks, and maybe do some RE revision for an end of unit assessment on Islam tomorrow.

Got another exam back today, which was Biology - 69/100 (The best mark to get, for obvious reasons)

Going to do some German revision now by doing some ActiveLearn tasks. I'll post what I got through later.

Reply 3
How do you get such high marks? I get really low grades. Can you tell me how you revise please?
Original post by Fatim000
How do you get such high marks? I get really low grades. Can you tell me how you revise please?

I revise by using Quizlet for definitions and for my German, and then Brainscape (an online flashcard app) and exam practice workbooks/past paper for everything else.

Thanks for checking out my GYG!
Had a day off today, but went in anyway to do some Graphics coursework, and have an appointment with my form tutor about my report (everyone has to go).

Managed to finish making my display stand for Graphics in the 3 hours I was there.

May do some Geography revision on some case studies for Urbanisation, and other than that, plan out what I will do tomorrow, because I have another day off, and then a 2 week break for Easter.
good luck!

what are your goals for the future?
Original post by clouddbubbles
good luck!

what are your goals for the future?

Thanks!

Planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics next year.

I want to go on and study Maths at Uni, looking into places such as the University of Durham at the moment.
Starting my studying now, probably just for an hour until Lunch.

Going to mark some Maths papers I did for revision, and then continue with my Graphics coursework, perhaps try and finish everything but the testing of my display stand.
Just finished off marking my Maths - Wow, those Churchill papers are hard!

Just shows me what I need to revise - proof is the main thing currently, so I'll focus on that with my workbook.

Loading up my Graphics now, going to finish my Stages of Making just before Lunch, I reckon.
Original post by Harry-Pikesley
Thanks!

Planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics next year.

I want to go on and study Maths at Uni, looking into places such as the University of Durham at the moment.

oh wow!
good luck on your journey :smile:
Finished off what I wanted to there. All I have to do for that project is buy some Cadbury products and test my display stand with them.

Going to have lunch now, and then do some German.
Have been doing German for the last 50 mins.

Managed to work through most of Unit 3 on Activelearn, doing some Listening, Reading and Vocab Building

Going to chill for a bit on social media, before probably doing either some Geography or Computer Science
I revise by using Quizlet for definitions and for my German, and then Brainscape (an online flashcard app) and exam practice workbooks/past paper for everything else.

Thanks for checking out my GYG!

Thank you. But how do you revise for Chemistry,Physics and Biology.
Original post by Fatim000
Thank you. But how do you revise for Chemistry,Physics and Biology.

As I mentioned, for these subjects, I use brainscape to make flashcards for all of the content, and then work through the exam practice books, although I am doing full past papers more often now.
Thought I'd add in an update of what I have done today:

9:00 - 11:00 - BIOLOGY - Worked through around 15 pages of the exam workbook, mainly on Topics 5 and 6, but also some Topic 1 content

1:15 - 2:00 - ENGLISH - Did a Paper 2, Section B question. It was on homework, that’s pretty topical, I guess.

3:40 - 5:10 - GEOGRAPHY - Did a Practice Paper 1, as we have finished all of the content now. Went pretty well, and I know I definitely need to revise Hot Deserts a bit more!

I will do the Question 4 from the English paper later, as that is all that I haven't done. Then, I will just rest and chill out for the rest of the evening.
Reply 16
Thought I'd add in an update of what I have done today:

9:00 - 11:00 - BIOLOGY - Worked through around 15 pages of the exam workbook, mainly on Topics 5 and 6, but also some Topic 1 content

1:15 - 2:00 - ENGLISH - Did a Paper 2, Section B question. It was on homework, that’s pretty topical, I guess.

3:40 - 5:10 - GEOGRAPHY - Did a Practice Paper 1, as we have finished all of the content now. Went pretty well, and I know I definitely need to revise Hot Deserts a bit more!

I will do the Question 4 from the English paper later, as that is all that I haven't done. Then, I will just rest and chill out for the rest of the evening.

Which exam books do you use?
Original post by brarje
Which exam books do you use?

The CGP revision guides and workbooks. Cheap and fairly good.
Reply 18
The CGP revision guides and workbooks. Cheap and fairly good.

Would you recommend going through the whole CGP Exam practise workbooks for all the sciences or go through all the AQA specimen papers? Also, what do you put on your flashcards? Questions or information?
Hiya. What's your exam board for geography and how do you revise for it? I've been a grade 6 for geography since forever but I'm predicted an 8!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending