The Student Room Group

Harry Potter

At what age is someone to old to read Harry Potter? I’ve never read much but I want to start and I’m starting with hunger games but I feel like they’re for kids. Also, leave any recommendations if you have any

Scroll to see replies

Never to old my friend ... sounds obvious but start from the beginning and finish at the end 😂
Never to old
You're never too old to read Harry Potter. I have personally read them fully twice, once in Year and once in Yr 10, but I have friends and my own older brother who has read them multiples times.

If you are looking for more serious/adult books, I think you will still like J.K's storytelling but a large proportion of the books are about their school life (which is actually what appeals to most rather than the actual story! :smile:) so if you're not into that it may put you off. My sister was like that but she still enjoyed Rowling storytelling; her descriptions and the way she writes is so....magical?

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
probs about 3
... Please

WHY IS EVERYONE SAYING 'TO' AND NOT 'TOO'?!
Original post by Bill Nye
... Please

Typo
the novels suck trash and the films are better but not perfect. As I got older I realised this and the realisation wasn't anywhere as painful as I thought it would be.
Original post by Bill Nye
... Please

😂😂😂
Original post by Bang Outta Order
the novels suck trash and the films are better but not perfect. As I got older I realised this and the realisation wasn't anywhere as painful as I thought it would be.

You should be burned at the stake.
Reply 10

I'm not into the books either. Only seen one film and it was the first one, so I can barely remember it.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
You should be burned at the stake.

Opinions are opinions

It's true though. Sure when you're reading the novels you can picture the story in your own fun way and escape into The Magick :moon:. Buuuuut... JK Rowling just aint all dat of a writer :tea:
NO AGEEEE!!! NEVER!! They are timeless and if you don’t believe me, my teachers get excited about the illustrated versions so 🤷*♀️
Original post by gjd800
I'm not into the books either. Only seen one film and it was the first one, so I can barely remember it.

In reality...the books are overly convoluted messes and major rip offs of The Worst Witch, a novel series about witches..who go to a magic school in a castle...in a place that wont allow electricity...with a strict potions teacher...and a noble older Head...and quirky charms and chants teacher...and allowed pet cats...and with eerie perils...solved by an inexperienced young pupil..with dark hair...and poor...

you get my drift :smile:

the films are fantastic in comparison though.
Reply 14
In reality...the books are overly convoluted messes and major rip offs of The Worst Witch, a novel series about witches..who go to a magic school in a castle...in a place that wont allow electricity...with a strict potions teacher...and a noble older Head...and quirky charms and chants teacher...and allowed pet cats...and with eerie perils...solved by an inexperienced young pupil..with dark hair...and poor...

you get my drift :smile:

the films are fantastic in comparison though.

Yeah, I've heard this before but confess I've not bothered looking for myself. I personally just don't particularly enjoy Rowling's writing style.
Original post by gjd800
Yeah, I've heard this before but confess I've not bothered looking for myself. I personally just don't particularly enjoy Rowling's writing style.

but the more important issue here is...what show is your avatar from? lol
if you really understand the story i.e. Easter eggs hidden in the story and then reflect, you'll realise you have to be a little older to understand them. (e.g. things hidden in the 'room of requirements' mentioned in Harry potter books), almost as if JK Rowling expected you to read it again After the first time to fully understand the concept she tried to convey. (I read the whole set age 9 but when I re-read it age 15, I realised the little things I missed out such as the entire Harry potter family tree from the peverell brothers and that majority of the characters had some relation (lineage) with the 3 brothers.
Majority of those who answered your question do not really read books as if they were immersed in the book. Judging by the lack of knowledge of HP books but claim they've read it means they were looking at words with no imagination... People who actually read books are getting rare these days...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
but the more important issue here is...what show is your avatar from? lol

Conky from Trailer Park Boys :laugh:
Reply 18
Original post by ddsizebra
if you really understand the story i.e. Easter eggs hidden in the story and then reflect, you'll realise you have to be a little older to understand them. (e.g. things hidden in the 'room of requirements' mentioned in Harry potter books), almost as if JK Rowling expected you to read it again After the first time to fully understand the concept she tried to convey. (I read the whole set age 9 but when I re-read it age 15, I realised the little things I missed out such as the entire Harry potter family tree from the peverell brothers and that majority of the characters had some relation (lineage) with the 3 brothers.
Majority of those who answered your question do not really read books as if they were immersed in the book. Judging by the lack of knowledge of HP books but claim they've read it means they were looking at words with no imagination... People who actually read books are getting rare these days...

Bit of a No True Scotsman. Not everybody will respond the way you do to a tome - it does not mean that you are a 'better' reader than them. Different styles, topics, approaches pique different people's interest to different degrees.

Sacrilege! You’re bang outta order, mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending